Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What strimmer?
  • Waderider
    Free Member

My Jonsred GR50 strimmer has died a death. It needs a new silencer, the strimmer cord autofeed is broken, yet sometimes it feeds out a couple of feet of cord, threatening my shins. You can’t get 5 minutes strimming done with out having to stop to adjust the cord. Basically I want something lighter and more modern.

However I want to be as capable, so the question is what petrol strimmer, 2hp/2kw, with a harness and cowhorn handle? My local shop only stocks strimmers up to 1.1kw. I think.

Obviously I could just go off and do some market research, but wondering if anyone has any first hand knowledge?

tomkerton
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Hitatchi straight shaft for about 3 years. It gets used for hours at a time several times a week. Can run a disc too and it swaps over easily. Was about £100 cheaper than the stihl/husky equivalent powered machine. Got it from the big online place that’s based in Gloucester mowers.co.uk or something. Can recommend.

The model I have is CG40EJ

ashfanman
    Free Member

Not sure if their petrol strimmers are any better, but I have a Screwfix Titan 600W electric one and it’s rubbish.

The autofeed has never worked since I got it. At first, it just spat a load of line out and whipped me across the shins. Ouch. Ever since, it doesn’t autofeed at all. Tried taking the spool apart and re-winding the line – that didn’t fix it. Tried replacing the spool – it worked for about 25 seconds, then stopped autofeeding again.

Shame, as it otherwise feels very well built for the money.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Not a Ryobi – OK when it starts, but that is rare. Stihl is the way to go, 2nd usually fine

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve asked the relevant members of the household and they reckon you’re best bet is a mid range Ladyshave (i.e. Philips)

CaptainSlow

I have one of these http://www.gardenmachinerydirect.co.uk/strimmers-and-brushcutters/honda-strimmers-and-brushcutters-umk425ue.html

East to start, efficient, not noisy, reliable and comfortable. Gets the job done using either the auto feed head or the 3 blade cutter for thicker brambles etc. Can also fit a rotary blade (not incl).
    I’d happily recommend.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What strimmer?’ is closed to new replies.