Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • what stove / accessories wild camping?
  • thenorthwind

Mini PSA:

Reviving this thread as I was following the budget all-in-one stove/pot discussion, and am currently tempted by an Alpkit Brukit in their sale at £29:
    https://www.alpkit.com/products/brukit

The Go Outdoors one Cougar linked to at £20 is also tempting but for the extra £9 you get the built in stove, and maybe a bit lighter? Probably not the lightest on the market at 466g total, but no spec on the Go Outdoors one. Care to weigh it for us Cougar?

Cougar

It’s not heavy particularly but sure, I’ll do it when I get home.

thenorthwind

Top man, cheers

BoardinBob

Brukit is now out of stock but I love mine. Great piece of kit.

Pyro

I’ve a variety of stoves that get used at different times:
    Alpkit Brukit – works alright, bit big for bikepacking, grand for a quick hill-top brew.
    Hi-Gear Blaze Ti – Tiny dinky ti stove, goes in a Ti mug with a 125 canister, works well. Dunno if they still do them, was a cheapy from Go Outdoors.
    Esbit Kaffeekocher – Very nice hexamine-fuelled mini coffee machine. Shiny stainless steel, mainly a novelty but very cool first thing in the morning.
    Trangia Triangle with Evernew ti meths burner – The most used of my stoves, brilliant thing with a fairly effective windshield. Needs a little wire adapter to get the burner to sit right, but it’s compact and weighs not very much.

thenorthwind

Bugger, so it is – wasn’t this morning. I shouldn’t have shouted about it to all and sundry.

That Esbit thing is really cool but I really don’t need any more ways of making coffee. Aeropress is my go-to. Sometimes Bialetti (but not for back/bikepacking). Sometimes pour-over.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Have you seen the slightly more expensive but more compact and lighter alp kit jackal?

GrahamS

This popped up on my news feed today. May be relevant to some.

How to Fuel a Bikepacking Trip

thenorthwind

I had, but hadn’t looked closely til now. Seems not much lighter for the extra cash (availability notwithstanding) – Alpkit say 18% but by my maths 425 is 9% less than 466 – and is 750ml rather than 1000ml (so you’d damn well expect it to be lighter), and I’d rather have the bigger capacity.

Noticed that the Brukit is available without the stove as the “Brupot” for £17. Would it be foolish to pair that with my existing stove? Windshielding would be considerably less, but it would be more flexible – I could use a pop can stove with it as well for example.

Please don’t go buy all of that stock now I’ve pointed it out!

Hoff

I’ve tried a few stoves / pots but favourites for backpacking or bike packing are: –

Speedster meths stove – very cheap & not much bigger than a tea light & either the small pot stand & wind shield they sell or combine it with a Lixada folding wood stove.

I use the Alpkit Mytimug 650ml which fits stove, lighter, brew kit, fuel etc inside it. Sea to Summit collapsible mug fits perfectly on top of it too. Mytimug fits into the small Stem Cell pouch too

Carry a couple of 30ml aluminium bottles filled with meths & a bigger 250ml aluminium bottle which you can get for pennies on the net.

Speedster Stove

Lixada wood burner

Some good advice available on Bear Bones website and Bike & Bivvy – Wild Camping on FB

wicki
    Free Member

+1 for the Lixada I use mine with a Trangia for cooking then burn would after for the feel good factor.

Cougar

thenorthwind > Just weighed my stuff.

The big mug is 200g, the “cookset” complete (big mug, little mug, drawstring bag*) is 300g altogether. The stove is 75g, add half a can of gas and you’re looking at 500g total.

(* – apologies for earworming any 90s ravers.)

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘what stove / accessories wild camping?’ is closed to new replies.