• This topic has 21 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by jruk.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What stem/bar combo are trail riders running these days?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Just out of interest…I have a 50mm stem and 760mm bars – seems to be ‘on trend’.
    Both Whyte…being a ponce I’m thinking of getting RaceFace Turbine 50mm stem in 35 flavour with RF Atlas (800mm) or Turbine 35 bars – cos I’m a tart and want to match the Turbine cranks.
    Ridiculous reason to change I know…what width/length are you running.

nairnster
    Free Member

740 Easton Haven Alu with 50mm Joystick Builder stem

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ah the what width and no context thread….

arms out drop hands so elbows are at 90 and measure the length.

On your current bars are you overhanging the ends? What does it feel like if you do?

Personally 780 though could go 800 I think at times

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    boxelder

rascal – if you want to move your existing pair on. let me know – need some for a ‘workhorse’ build.

km79
    Free Member

50mm race face atlas 35 stem and 800mm riser bars. Fit feels great coming from a 70mm stem and 720mm bars but it can get a bit tight at times in the woods.

ajantom

It all depends on the rider, the terrain, the bike, etc. So there never will be a definitive answer!
    I’ve messed around with wide bars up to 780 or so, and have ended going back to about 720, as that’s what suits me best.

deviant
    Free Member

740mm Renthal Lites, tried wider but I’m not that tall so went back to a sensible width.

Stem is also Renthal and 35mm long.

bigbloke
    Free Member

775mm Raceface SixC 35 clamp with Raceface Turbine 50mm stem

tomhoward

70 x 750 on two
    60 x 750
    90 x 740
    50 x 760

Tried 785, felt too wide. I’m 6 foot and fairly broad shouldered

rascal
    Free Member

Thread resurrection.
    Still considering changing stem/bars.
    Lots of Whyte owners owners seem to have gone over to Renthals…how good are these – is a lot of it because they are ‘cool’?
    Better than Spank Vibrocore/RF Atlas etc?

niksnr
    Free Member

Syntace Megaforce 2 stem – 50mm and a Vector Carbon High 35 bar. Expensive, but you get what you pay for. Had Renthals and Spank and I found these to be a better fit. Just feels right.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

780mm Bars 50mm Stem on my T130s
    780mm Bars 70mm Stem on my Love/Hate
    46cm Woodchippers 90mm Stem on my Fargo
    46cm Cowbells 100mm Stem on my Vaya
    710 Jones Loops and 90mm Stem on my Krampus
    44cm Bars and 120mm on both my Roadbikes

jamj1974

I’ve been running 780mm Renthal Fatbars for over 2.5 years. Work really well – although looks are a bit garish. Also use an Apex stem in 40mm and that is great.

TiRed

470 and 100. They aren’t exactly on trend. See steel XC thread.

qwerty
    Free Member

70 x 440

&

40 x 740

joebristol

Last bike came with 700mm bars and a 70mm stem. I changed to a 780mm bar and 50mm stem. My Strava times went down and I felt in more control at speed. Tree linedtrails got a bit more tight though.

Swapped bike and it has 760mm bars and a 35mm stem. Happy with the stem length but my hands feel more ‘straight’ on the bars which isn’t as comfortable over longer distance riding. Looks like the new bars have less sweep – so I’m going to try a bar with more Sweep and going back to 780mm length and see how that goes.

Incidentally the old bike had a 31.8mm stem clamp and the new one has 35mm so wonder if that’s made things stiffer and less comfortable?

Going to try a cheap handlebar with more sweep and see how that is. Per another thread Planet X seem to be pumping out their el guapo saloon bar out in 780mm with a 35mm bar clamp for £13 instead of £30 at the moment so going to give that a whirl (it was what was on my last bike in 780mm but with the 31.8mm clamp).

lawman91

Running 50 x 780 on my T130C, Chromag Ranger stem and Chromag Cutlass Carbon bar, best I’ve used by far. Was always a fan of Easton bar stems but my Haven 35’s were just too stiff, the Cutlass’ have a nice degree of give to them but still feel solid. The stem is a hefty lump but it hasn’t slipped, creaked and it looks awesome. Plus the bars have orange decals to match the bike, so there’s that as well!

cokie

I used to run 800mm on all my bikes with 35-60mm stems, but recently move to Renthal Fatbars with 780×35(Burgtec stem) and 780×50(hope stem) on my bikes (yes, 2 Whytes). They also have the same bar height and use the same grips. It’s nice having consistency on contact points when jumping between bikes. Both bars are also 31.8- I never got on with the stiffness of 35mm bars.

chakaping
    Free Member

My stems are 35mm to 60mm depending on bike length.

Bars all 780mm or thereabouts at the mo, which seems to have become the new normal for trail and enduro bikes – looking at OE spec lists.

Race Face Sixc are my favourite bar, and I have some very good Superstar carbon bars on two of my bikes but I think they stopped doing them now.

Akers

Easton Haven 35 70mm stem, and 750mm high rise bar. Longer stem than is current fashion I know, but as I’m of the long body, short legs variety, I ride a medium so appreciate the extra reach a slightly longer stem gives. Fit over fashion.

patriotpro
    Free Member

33mm / 800mm

Both 35mm flavour

Very DHy for a T130 I know

jruk
    Free Member

760mm / 35mm. If I went any wider I’d hit even more tress than I do now.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What stem/bar combo are trail riders running these days?’ is closed to new replies.