Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • what steel ya think?
  • naokfreek
    Free Member

Gonna get a steel frame, first one…so

ns surge
    evil sov
    cotic bfe
    blue pig
    alpine

opinions please, will be a do everything bike with a tough but lightish build (swap from dying alu frame)

Am willing to go up to the sovs price but is it a bit 'badge'?

Any others to give consideration to?

Been done to death i know but, with the new school frames about, want some real hard sell inspiration.

Ta

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I think the BFe might be best suited to a 'hardcore' but all-dayable build. New cheaper price early in the new year too makes it even more appealing.

HTTP404
    Free Member

You've not mentioned the legend that is the 456.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I did have an Alpine which was awesome downhill but I'd say the Bfe i have now is a better all rounder.

Perhaps a Dialled Prince Albert should be on your list aswell.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Tough but 'lightish' you want a Cotic Soul mate – can't say enough about mine. Done the C2C and its the one bike I would never sell. I'm sure the Bfe is a terrific bike but you'd need to be a bit more specific than 'lightish'

as 59 x says you should also look at the Dialled Bikes PA and I'd even go as far to say take a look at Curtis bikes – boutique and expensive perhaps but you can input your own angles and dimensions I believe.

naokfreek
    Free Member

Hhhhmm, i reckon its between the NS, the Cotic and the Evil. Money allowing of course, the evil fits my bill but i'm not paying nearly 600 quid for one, so second hand would be the way. The Cotic is very nice and a good price which looks to be getting cheaper as mentioned ^. The NS is bloody cheap and has a nice clean look….we'll see.

As for a soul, gonna be to skinny for me, the winning frame will be doing the lot including 2 weeks in the alps a year, so needs to be somewhat tougher.

Lightish btw is'nt really that light, but not fussed on weight really as my courier duties sort out hauling any excess around.

Gonna be a couple of weeks till i have the cash so will let ya'll know of the final choice.

Hopefully some of the people who received their Mk2 Alpines this week will be giving them their first shakedown rides this weekend and be able to give you some input, naokfreek.

Orang-Hutan
    Free Member

been looking at the Evil Sov myself, mainly because they're the longest steel hard tail out there without going custom build. Has anyone out the got one, i'm looking for a do anything bike that will be under 30lbs for an XL. No one has mentioned the Orange P7 in this thread, is there a reason for that?

chvck
    Free Member

I've got a NS Surge and I love it. Used it for riding everything; downhill, xc, dj etc… Only frame I've ever got and not thought 'I like this but it isn't quite IT'…this frame is IT for me 😀

Orang-Hutan
    Free Member

I've been thinking about this cost thing, sure at £600 thats alot of sovs for a sov but hey, I needed a suit the other day and being an ape I couldn't buy one off the peg at M&S, in the end I went to a big and tall shop and had to pay £400 for a something 90% of the male population could have bought for £100. The way I see it is if you want to make do (which is fine) buy a cheap frame and compromise, If you you have a specific requirement and the sov fills it (and you can afford it) go for it. YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE.

Trekster

After half a dozen rides I am lovin my Pig. Having already been a steel bike owner/rider for 15 or so years I had something to compare it with. A bit stiffer than my beloved Bonty but with the benefit of longer forks. I was going to test ride a few other steel bikes such as the Charge Duster, P7 and Genesis Altitude but the Pig was first one I tried and got on with it immediately. Stripped Bonty and Kona Dawg for bits, only new bits were headset and cables.

It therefore met my first requirement…cheapness 😆

nonk
    Free Member

xc steel is my thing but with a shortlist like that would you not want to consider a curtis?

pinkyponk
    Free Member

456 is the only steel frame you will ever need. I promise you. If i had to have one bike for the rest of my life it would be the 456. It does everything you will ever need and with perfect poise and its s hard as hell. Get a 20mm bolt thro fork like a pike and you will never look back.

Orang-Hutan
    Free Member

Been thinking about my post a bit more about the cost thing and treksters response that cheapness was at or near the top of his list. The fact that I want a Sov and hav'nt gone out and bought one probably does mean they're too much for what they offer. If I delve a bit deeper into why I accually want a steel hardtail its for the pure uncomplicated fact that something so simple as a few tubes of steel can offer so much of a buzz and addrenalin rush, esspcially when I can keep up with and jump as well as most of the people I ride with on their 5" plus of full suss. So cost is a big issue but I guess we all put it in a different spot in our list of tick boxes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘what steel ya think?’ is closed to new replies.