Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • what steel hardtail for a 140mm fork used for aggressive trail riding.
  • Mackem

Get thicker pedals. Maybe high-heeled shoes.

jamesb
    Free Member

Just measured up my Bfe, centre BB from ground 34 cm with 150mm forks and 2.3 sized tyres (Maxxis HR 2.35 front, 2.25 Adv rear), so with 20% sagged forks would have about a 15mm reduction in BB height

mwleeds

I’m with bullheart. Definitely consider trying a PA. Mine is ridiculously good! It’s easily tough enough for any xc riding in the uk. The steering is lively enough to keep things interesting on normal trails, but feels very solid when flying down big peak district descents. Oh and it’s one of the easiest bikes to bunny-hop that I’ve ever ridden.

…and best of all they’re cheap!

russjp
    Free Member

My DMR trailstar 2 is running marzocchi 55’s and has head angle of 66 degrees unsaged, ride it for everything and it does it all well. Recommend a dialled prince Albert too

mrbump
    Free Member

i’d just like to say to the people who say the doubt that the blue pig is more comfortable in terms of vibration dampening compared to a marin rocky ridge or even a cove stiffee or chameleon or mmmbop, the pig is obviously more comfortable due to the properties of the material, the thickness of the chain and seat stays and the diameter of the seat post and the fact that i have rode both and compared.
    i would be interested to hear why someone would disagree. why else would any frame be made with steel otherwise being as steel is heaveir??

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

i’ve just swaped my 456 for a sanderson life, its night and day, the sanderson definatly flexes more over rouch bits, I think once you get to 120mm+ bikes the frames have to be built pretty stiff regardless of material, certainly the 456 is pretty stiff and the sanderson is notably twangy.

Then again The minutes are much less stiff than the menja’s or Z1’s on the 456 and the sanderson is singlespeed so has less weight out back so probably feels twangy regardless of the frame.

Mackem

That Pipdream sirius Ti looks absolutely stunning.

adstick
    Free Member

Mrbump, like I said, it depends on the era of the Marin. They used to use tubes not much bigger in section than steel, therefore were very flexy. Mmmbobs and chameleons are more conventional aluminium frames.

mrbump
    Free Member

but those marins are not the long travel aggro hardtails that we are talking about.

adstick
    Free Member

fair enough 🙂

speckledbob
    Free Member

I’ve got an mmmbop. The ride is quite harsh but the geometry is ace. I think the blue pig has the same geometry. And cheep as chips too.

mrbump
    Free Member

the sanderson blitz looks intresting. as anyone got any info or opinions on these, and maybe bb height 😕

Amos
    Free Member

In answer to your original post:http://www.cotic.co.uk/geek/

Hope this helps, oh and buy a soul, the Bfe is a stiffer at the rear (ooer) so not as forgiving

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

why else would any frame be made with steel otherwise being as steel is heaveir??

Because it is cheaper?

chiefgrooveguru

Much cheaper, though how that actually affects the end price is more than a bit complicated!

toys19
    Free Member

why else would any frame be made with steel otherwise being as steel is heavier??

Or because of some marketing BS.

Tom83

Prince Albert.

steve_b77
    Free Member

‘cos steel is real man 😆

In all honesty Steel doesn’t actually flex/absorb bumps any than a good Alu HT IMHO. Wheels and Tyres make way more difference.

Saying that I currently have 2 steel HT’s and they’re both ace 😆

mrbump
    Free Member

i’d better stick with my aly frame then rather then go for a economy,uncomfortable steel frame 😉

mrbump
    Free Member

mmmbop…lighter and stiffer
    blue pig…heavier more complient
    same manufacturer, same price, same geometry
    i have freinds who have both and i have rode both.

Rickos
    Free Member

Genesis Alpitude – 853 steel too. 12.2 inch BB with Revs at 140mm and High Rollers on. Don’t be tempted to be all XC and get the 18.5 inch if you normally ride an 18 inch bike, they’re built with a low top tube. Only problem for you is that they have a wee seat tube brace thingy. Cotics will defo be too high on the BB for you.

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/frames/alpitude/geometry

mrbump
    Free Member

the alpitude does sound good and my LBS has one hanging up in stock.
    and i will definatly be going compact and chuckable! but your spot on with my only niggle with that frame, may have to be overlooked.

BadlyWiredDog

i would be interested to hear why someone would disagree. why else would any frame be made with steel otherwise being as steel is heaveir??

Because people like steel frames? I’ve ridden both the bikes you’re on about and I’d stick some proper fat tyres on the Marin first if you like it otherwise – particularly if you’re using 2.35 High Rollers, which are actually pretty small, more like a 2.1 from a lot of other brand – a 2.25 Ardent is significantly bigger for a start. Or have someone copy the Rocky Ridge geometry but in ti… which is what I did 😉

mrbump
    Free Member

i find that bigger single ply tyres tend roll on the rim a little giving a less accurate feel and high rollers are my no. 1 choice. would be tempted to try the ardents but would most likely buy them, keep em on for a few weeks ,then get the rollers back on like all the other tyres ive tried.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Stick with aluminium and this ticks the boxes:

http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/hx1_frames.html

float
    Free Member

people talk about steel frames like they expect to not feel anything from the back end, like a full sus. blasting down rocky trails flat out is when the dampening effect is most noticeable, but then you have to remember that it is still a hardtail. catches you out sometimes.

all i know is that im well chuffed with my blue pig and will definitely be buying steel again. the extra weight doesn’t build up to too heavy a bike.

billyboy
    Free Member

I’ve just swapped out the kit from a Ti456 to a Sanderson Blitz mainly because of the On One’s bb height issue, but also because of the cockpit length and the slight insecurity I always felt going down challenging stuff (did everything else A1). I can’t help thinking that the Ti456 was not a mirror image of the steel version, there was something different, beyond the lasck of tyre clearance, that was not an improvement. I think the Ti456 needed a 160 fork to balance it out which I think would have hindered climbing and I wasn’t wanting to go there anyway.

I’m well pleased with the Sanderson. If you search on here you will find a muddled review I did on it and you will find some piccies kindly posted for me by a fella called Paul.
    My reservations about the Sanderson were weight (The frame was 5.8lbs and I’ve built it to 29lbs while still retaining stronger weightier parts, and I’m getting used to that.) and speed (but having serviced the rear hub and gotten rid of draggy old bearings and serviced the rear brake and freed up draggy pistons, I’m no longer bitching about that either) and the cable routing (I’ve put in a full cable run to the rear which has sorted that) and I don’t like the bolt on mech hanger (but I can see why they did it).
    It ticks every other box I wanted ticked though. It goes up and down better than a 456 and I find it more balanced with a (510 axle/crown, is it?) 140 fork, and it is more forgiving on the rear end.

My experiences with a Pace 303 suggest that the 325.5 would be good but I doubt you will get 2.35 tyres on that…..

….. and the one ride I had on a Transition Transam suggest that was going to be worth putting up with a 30lbs build weight. It was instantly engaging…..but look at the headset (integrated campag) and the rear dropouts (you’ve got to take them out if you get a puncture) before you buy…if you were minded I think it would be worth it.

mrbump
    Free Member

just checked the marin site. the new rocky ridge bb height is 309.8mm with 140mm forks. quite alot less than the 330/340mm that seem to be on steel frames on offer.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Genesis Alpitudes have a low BB height I think (look at a picture)

As do Cotics

Dialled seem quite high

JPcapel
    Free Member

I have had 2 PA’s, the MKII and MKIII – the latter really is brilliant.

However I wanted less weight.

Bought Genesis Alpitude 16.5″ frame – is possibly my most fav. bike owned to date (have had loads over yrs).
    I considered the Evil Sovereign alongside this, but was put off by weight – despite loving how the Evil rides (friend I ride with has one).

Can’t say enough good things about the Alpitude – perfect 4x bike at chicksands, yet still can knock out 10-20mile Xc ride in comfort. Feels loads more “springey” than the PA did – friend has MKIII PA and riding back to back can tell real difference in comfort.
    Aplitude is quite slack angled, really nimble, paint finish is poor )chips easily) and seat post size is frustrating size 30.0mm.
    Otherwise is outstanding in all regards.
    Run it with 1×10 gearing and Float 32 140mm fork, weight 27lbs near enough exactly with mainly XTR finishing kit.

Also use it at local skate park and is able to manage ramp duties quite happily – has super short wheel base and low BB height.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i prefer steel because it stands up to abuse better.

and i don’t mean jumps/drops/bad-landings abuse,

i mean cable-rub / chain-slap / some-muppet-(me)-cross-threading-a-BB / some-muppet-(me)-dropping-the-bike-on-rocks-and-stuff / getting-strapped-onto-a-bike-rack-rubbing-up-against-my-mates-pedals / etc abuse.

your opinion may very, and that’s cool, but i’m gratefull i can buy frames that are a bit more idiot-resistant, even if they do weigh a bit more.

chakaping
    Free Member

I am selling a barely-used Bfe frame, because I got a bit carried away buying bikes before Xmas.

Email in profile if interested.

mrbump
    Free Member

@jpcapel
    the alpitude is one of my main contenders now.
    what is the bb centre height with your 140mm unsagged forks.

backhander
    Free Member

Chromag Aperture.

mrbump
    Free Member

that looks sweet and being chromag…expensive!!

backhander
    Free Member

Not as bad as you’d think. Its a copy of the samurai made in the far east. Retails at £485. Great looking frame though and knowing where chromag do their testing, I bet it rides very well indeed. I’ve never met a person who’s regretted buying anything Chromag!

JP, I don’t think the Alptitude is lighter than a Prince Albert. According to Bike Radar, the Alptitude weighs 2.45kg/5.4lbs.

c9tln
    Free Member

pipedream have a new hardcore hardtail coming out soon,might be worth a look.

JPcapel
    Free Member

mr bump
    13.1/4″ from floor to centre of BB axle.
    I run quite a lot of sag on my floats 140mm travel, preferring a softer set up, think this suits the frame.

Mike – you could well be right, the hold it in each hand test made the alpitude “feel” lighter, but I am not a detail man to weigh bikes – geetee1972 is a local neighbour and does my geek work on weights !

geetee has just acquired an alpine and it is stonking.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

The only correct answer to the original quaestion.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘what steel hardtail for a 140mm fork used for aggressive trail riding.’ is closed to new replies.