Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • What Steel Hardtail bike for 1K
  • younggeoff

Mate at works after a steel hardtail for aroudn 1K, I was thinking Orange P7, Kinesis, POssible Cotic Build.

Any sensible suggestions appreciated.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

P7 every time.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

p7,your in luck and theyre available at the mo!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

theres a sanderson in the classifides for £825, awesome bikes, but your mate would need to be 6ft to ride it.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

P7. No real alternative.

g6dcs
    Free Member

P7 !!! It is GREAT!! although wish I had been patient enough to order the frame in orange! Might have to get it powder coated some time!!!

sv

Boardman as an alternative to the steel.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Rock Lobster 853?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Genesis Altitude

Kahurangi

Genesis IO ID

Mister-P
    Free Member

Genesis Altitude 10 if you can find one.

mcinnes
    Free Member

I love my Genesis Altitude 20. Happy on very tech singletrack, downhill and air, steps: all good.

robinbetts
    Free Member

Sorry for a slight thread hijack… there's a lot of love for the P7 here!

Currently ride a Five and love it, but thinking of getting a hardtail (P7) at some point to play with too. How much use would I get out of it? Does anyone else have a similar full sus setup and also a hardtail like the P7, and what do you use each for?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I got rid of my P7 and have regretted it ever since. At the minute I've got a Cannondale F4 and a Specialized big hit 3. I use the Cannondale for everything, in fact I've only been out on the big hit once in the past twelve months – I find it too heavy, too labour intensive (with regards to servicing, etc), and just, well, too much. Hardtail everytime for me, just wish I still had a (good quality) steel one.

GaryLake
    Free Member

robin, I have a Genesis singlespeed and a Five, they see about the same amount of action tbh. I'm not one for HT vs FS, I couldn't chose just one!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Barnsley – I'm not sure the big hit is a good candidate for a FS vs HT argument though 😆

Mackem

I like my p7 (it's my 3rd, I have a new one, an original one, and had one nicked) – tried lots of other bikes in between, always end up going back to the p7, it's a no fuss, do whatever you want bike.

robinbetts
    Free Member

Gary, I've looked at the Genesis too, and thought about singlespeed. When would you think about taking out the Genesis over the Five? I was always an avid hardtail fan, till I rode the Five! but I like riding both like you and want a mix. Thanks!

corroded
    Free Member

I like the look of the Voodoo Wanga (£900 at Halfords) – good spec inc. a RS Reba.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Why steel?

Does he have a beard or is he really old?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I'll concede that the big hit isnt such a good comparison, but its the only fs I have at present.

Bregante

Does anyone else have a similar full sus setup and also a hardtail like the P7, and what do you use each for?

I have and Enduro and a Marin Rocky Ridge Hardtail (not steel). I bought the HT for night rides / winter thrashing and also to help me improve technique (I need it). TBH I am riding the HT at least as much as the Enduro if not more so because it's just refreshingly different!

RichieBoy
    Free Member

We've got Genesis Altitude 10's left in our shop.. 19inch..

stew1982
    Free Member

How about a Cove Handjob?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Robin: I just like riding bikes tbh, sometimes I love just going out and absolutely flying on the Five, sometimes I like the more raw challenge of the singlespeed HT. The SS HT can also make easy rides harder and more exciting.

Besides, the SS is nearly always mechanically functioning, which if your maintenance routine is anything like mine, is a god send!

GaryLake
    Free Member

The steel Genesis bikes remind me of mid nineties steel Konas – long and comfy and keen!

enfht
    Free Member

P7

Thread Closed 😀

iainc

I have a Rock Lobster 853, which Merlin do a version of for £1000 – I think it's a great bike, can't fault it in any way…

robinbetts
    Free Member

Thanks guys, (for the cheeky hijack). When the time (and money) comes, I'll try and get some demos.

Geoff, P7

IdleJon

mcinnes – Member
    I love my Genesis Altitude 20. Happy on very tech singletrack, downhill and air, steps: all good.

I'll add my vote to that, but I think they are all sold out and the cheapest 853 Genesis next year is around £1500.

I bought a 'Dale Rush this time last year – very good bike, very pleased with it.

3 or 4 months ago I got the Genesis – guess which one gets used all the time. The Rush is now mainly a trail centre bike.

si-wilson
    Free Member

I have 1 small (16") Brodie Catalyst for sale, brand new that i can do for £699?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

They have some P7s in my local bike emporium, very nice.

also consider the On One 456 Summer frame and a build.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘What Steel Hardtail bike for 1K’ is closed to new replies.