Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What state of build do new bikes arrive at bike shops?
  • d4
    Free Member

Awaiting new bike today for a course tomorrow. How much will the bike shop need to do to it?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

depends on brand, Some need a few hours work some around 20mins

usually: front wheel, bars, seat, pedals, check over everything..

druidh
    Free Member

Depending on brand, the brakes will have to be swapped over and road bikes will need bars taped.

meesterbond

My old bike shop claimed they completely stripped and rebuilt everything that came in as the QC from the factory couldn’t always be relied on.

LoCo
    Free Member

As above it depends on brand, check everything I’d grease and
    threadlock all pivots and other critical items.

RV
    Free Member

About 3 hours or so, depending on brand. Most need BB facing and a full strip down as even the high end bikes don’t come through in a very ride able state. It depends on what sort of reputation the bike shop have or are trying to build. If a jobs worth doing then it’s worth doing well.

sofatester
    Free Member

My old bike shop claimed they completely stripped and rebuilt everything that came in as the QC from the factory couldn’t always be relied on.

check everything I’d grease and threadlock all pivots and other critical items.

I’d want a shop to do this if i was dropping some cash on a new bike. The only major mechanicals i’ve ever had where due to lazy spannering from a LBS. I would speak to them about what they have to do before it’s ridable.

Don’t post up here crying tomorrow if you rush them and a crank falls off though 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Generally the more high end the bike the more needs doing.

My Top Fuel came basically as a bag of bits. Needed fork fitting, headset, BB, chainset, mechs and brakes fitting. Shifters, levers and grips needed putting onto bars. About all that was done was the tyres on the rims!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What state of build do new bikes arrive at bike shops?’ is closed to new replies.