Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What state are the trails in around New Mills/Hayfield?
  • singletracksurfer

I’m around Manchester and looking to do a ride so wondering how the trails around New Mills/Hayfield and Chinley Churn holding up?

Thanks

p.s. I appreciate the Jacobs Ladder/Roych Clough route would ride ok, but wanted to do something different.

crazy-legs

Wet…
    More seriously, I wouldn’t even consider it at the moment, even on a CX. Most of the rockier sections are OK – Roych Clough and so on.

singletracksurfer

arse. wrong answer 😉

Guessing the (usual) Macclesfield Forest route isn’t going to be great either then is it? Any other route recommendations?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    banks
    Free Member

Chinley churn only just dried out in the summer! Macc loop is great atm – wet but hardly muddy.

BadlyWiredDog

Wet, but we had an okay day yesterday on the trails around Mellor/Roman Lakes etc. It’s not idyllically dry and dusty but it’s not horrific either – the diagonal field crossing up neat the Monk”s Road, which you’d expect to be near unrideable, is actually not bad, I think because the wind has helped dry things out.

I’d avoid Chinley Churn though and the Shooting Cabin etc, but while there are short sections of real muddiness, I’d say in general that it’s not quite as bad as you might think.

singletracksurfer

thanks. Sounds like Mac might win.

AlexSimon

I’m surprised at the responses so far.
    Cumberland Clough to 3 Shires was great on Thursday.
    Mt Famine/Jacob’s was great on Saturday (on a walk).
    Goyt Valley was good yesterday.

There are bits of bog on all the rides, but an awful lot of it is perfectly good. It helps if you know the area well, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Duggan

I went up Middle Moor on Saturday towards the shooting cabin and it wasn’t that bad.

Then on the Bridleway down to the cobbled path next to the Reservoir it was fine. Though I was actually trying to descend Snake Path but missed it somehow.

The usual trails round the Roman Lakes all seemed OK- descent by the little mill inn, mellor cross etc all fine. Or, not any more muddy than usual at any rate.

I don’t think I’ve ever been up to Chinley Churn and not found a complete mud-fest but maybe that’s just me.

scandal42
    Free Member

We rode around that area yesterday and although boggy in places it was generally fantastic riding, this included the shooting hut section.

The rocky descents were extra grippy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What state are the trails in around New Mills/Hayfield?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts