Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What SSD for Macbook 2010
  • woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I want to put a 250GB or there abouts SSD in my macbook 2010. A1342. I’ve done a bit of reading and it seems I want a more modern SSD with “garbage collection”. Looking at eBuyer et al., I can’t find this term mentioned, or anything similar.

Can any advise on what is the proper term for this and what SSD’s to recommend?

Many thanks

swhoward

I put a Sandisk Ultra II in my 2011 MBP and it’s made a massive difference with no problems.

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

No idea about the garbage collection thing. In the recommend what you have tradition, I put a Samsung Evo in my mbp a couple of years ago. It was fairly universally recommended at the time, and has given me no issues.

Cougar

Yeah, Evo is what you want.

kiwijohn

+1 for Samsung Evo.
    I think the garbage collection is called Trim Support & I’m not sure Macs support other SSD’s for it. It may be enabled in El Capitan, but I haven’t bothered.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about it unless you are going to nerd out over benchmarks.

Just pick a drive in your budget from one of the big names like Samsung, Crucial or SanDisk and you are good to go.

Superficial
    Free Member

The TRIM support thing is a real issue – basically it means you can lose small chunks of storage space over time so it’s worth getting it right.

I had to install some proprietary software on my 2009 Macbook Pro, but this is a few years ago and I *think* it’s built into the OS now. Or I think some drives will manage their own TRIM.

It’s worth a quick Google to get it right.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Garbage collection seems to stop the SSD slowing down. Garbage collection Link

But TRIM is also important apparently so OSX now supports it via a Terminal command.

I don’t really want to spend £60 on something that will gradually slow down when I could spend a bit more and get something that doesn’t. It’s the video processing that seems to need the faster SSD.

willard

+.. What ever for the Samsung Evo. I put a half terabyte one in mine a couple of years ago and it’s a different beast to what it was.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What SSD for Macbook 2010’ is closed to new replies.