Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • what ss ratio for afan
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

was just wondering what most people would use if they were to go to afan on a ss?
    im no ss god in fact ive not been doing it that long but definitely prefer it to riding geared bikes, i run a 32:16 atm but would a 32:17 or 18 be more suited to the long hauls up whites or the wall..? anyone done it?

sheldona
    Free Member

2:1 suits me on W2, Skyline, Whites and Wall, not SS Penhydd though

carlphillips
    Free Member

i was thinking that 32:16 would be tough going over a weekend whereas i could sit and spin maybe a little with an 17 or 18t on the back and conserve some energy…

JRTG
    Free Member

2:1 is no problem there for a long weekend, it's not really that steep. besides you will apreaciate the extra speed on the decents.

DT78
    Free Member

I'm probably not as fit as long term SSer's having only started this winter but I rode 32/18 round afan (whites&pen).

I made it up, with one rest stop but can't say I had particular fun on the way up.

shermer75
    Free Member

+1 32:16. It's not as hard as you think….

coopersport1
    Free Member

32:16 here, was only my second ride SS! It's a bit of a drag up the Whites /Skyline climb but you get some good looks from those slogging away with gears! and well worth it on the way down. My mate on his Ellsworth Epihany couldn't stay with me on my SS P7! I had several near death experiances trying though.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i may just man up then and take the 32:16 although ive a feeling i wont enjoy it much!!! will be racing the set to rise the weekend after i hope my legs will stand up to it!!

Rickos
    Free Member

I use 34:18 and that was fine around July a while back and I'm certainly no SS god. TBH, it's the first part of the climb to the first hairpin bend that's the most difficult just because getting a rhythm is hard.

singlespeedstu

32:18 here but on a big wheeler so 32:16 equivalant.

It's all fine, there's nothing very steep there.

D0NK

Does anybody really muck around with their ratios on a SS? Only time I've ever strayed from 32:16 was when I had to temporarily cobble together a drivechain from parts I had lying around.

simon1975

Usually 2:1 on the hardtail. Used 32:17 at Easter on the bouncer, but that was too slow

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘what ss ratio for afan’ is closed to new replies.