Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What SS chainring to buy?
  • johnikgriff
    Free Member

Building an Alfine bike and only need a coulpe of bits. One is a chainring. I'm going for a 36T as its pretty flat were I'll be riding it. What type should I buy? SS ones I've found seem a bit moe expensive than I expected (not mega, just a bit more), anyone have a recommendation of which to get? Ones I've seen are around £30 mark.

Also just checking is a shimano Deore 104mm bcd?

letmetalktomark

I run a Renthal ring and have been very impressed – £40 new but they are nice and alarmingly light!

I also run a bog standard shimano middle with a bash guard – no problems there either…

alexpalacefan

Yeah shimano will b3 104 4-bolt.
    I would go with a SS specific ring, no pins, ramps et c. that are designed to move the chain off to other rings, so supposedly a more secure chain.

On One do a stainless steel one that should last for ever, I have middleburn on mine because they look nice 🙂

APF

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    leggyblonde
    Free Member

I used a deore 36 for a while on the SS and had no complaints. I now use a surly which looks like it is wearing more slowly and is proper bling! You can run the chain a bit slacker on the surly ring too due to long teeth with lack of ramps.

Jerome
    Free Member

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/items.asp?CategoryID=33&Name=Goldtec+Chainrings
    Down the bottom – lubberly and on sale – just bought one

Shackleton

I use a Surly one. It's steel, has deep teeth, is reversible and so far has lasted 2 years without any issues or care whatsoever. Needs an 8sp chain though.

solarider
    Free Member

Hope you don't mind a slight plug!

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-saint-38-tooth-chainring-and-bashguard

This would make a great single speed set up. It is what it is designed for plus the bashring would help keep the chain on.

It would fit your Deore 4 bolt cranks perfectly, and keeps it in the Shimano family!

I bought it by mistake thinking it was the outer ring of a double set up, but as somebody mentioned earlier, the chainring has no ramps or pins and is purely designed for single speed duties.

simon1975

+1 for Surly stainless

Haze

Surly Stainless

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Cheers guys, just ordered one.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What SS chainring to buy?’ is closed to new replies.