Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What SRAM rear mech to match an XTR?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

I have an XTR rear mech on my bike and its lovely (compared to my LX rear mech) You can really notice the difference….

but, I need to remove the rearward loop from the back of my frame so it fits in my car boot better and so I stop ruining the rear mech outer by not bending it all the time to fit it in the boot.

If I'm going to spend a bit, I would rather the new mech be as good as the xtr.

X-7 or X-9 (x-0 is just daft money)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

get an xtr shadow, X9 is good but X0 for the pimp factor

4ndyB
    Free Member

X9, X0 is just too much cash for something you will prang.

XTR shadow rear mechs have a similar cable run to Sram

Or just unhook the outer cable from the chainstay/seatstay?

Junkyard
    Free Member

to be honest I have run an SRAM x5/7/9/and X0 and if I did not look down I could not tell you which one was on the bike.
    I can lend you and X7 I keep as a spare to try but you will also need to change shifters.
    iirc one model works with shimano cant recall name

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/15232/

shows why SRAM are better
    the only difference between the numbers is the materials used not the actual design iirc

druidh
    Free Member

XTR shadow

eichler
    Free Member

third for the XTR shadow. The pivots on X9 mechs go all loose and wobbly after a few months in the peak district. No experience of X0.

fizzer
    Free Member

Believe me there is no Sram mech to match XTR

tails
    Free Member

Really there is nothing between shimano and sram both produce decent products that are used by pros and top amateurs. That is an interesting video from junkyard though don't know what conclusions to draw from it. What I would say though is run either full SRAM or full shimano set up.

Gribs

I'm a big fan of the way the sram stuff works but switching seems an expensive way to get rid of the loop of outer as you'll need new shifters too. A better way would be to get a shadow mech or just get an Avid Rollamajig though you may have trouble finding one now.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Why would I need new shifters to switch to Sram?

does sram move less / more per mm movement of cable then Shimano?

😕

4ndyB
    Free Member

Yes. Sram rear mech's only work with Sram shifters (Except Rocket & Attack, which are Shimano compatable) Front mech's, doesn't matter what shifters you use.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

XTR shadow it is then Dear as it may appear, Its still cheaper then new shiferts….
    Saying that, maybe its just cheaper to keep snipping the outer back.

Junkyard
    Free Member

SRAM = 1:1 actuation
    Shimano = 1:2 Actuation

Front mech both are 1:1

Rocket and Attack are shifters only not mechs
    I dont think SRAM do a 1:2 mech.

adlyhobart
    Free Member

having had both. sram hands down. you should be able to pick one up on feebay for between £45 and £70 dependant on age and condition. then get twist grips for £50 brand new. you wont look back!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What SRAM rear mech to match an XTR?’ is closed to new replies.