Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What SRAM chains do you run?
  • greasystain
    Free Member

Every time I need to replace my chain I go through the same dilemma:

Should I spend the extra cash to get a posher chain than a PC951? What chain do you run?

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Get a KMC chain. Better shifting, longer lasting, less snapping.

IMO obviously!

greasystain
    Free Member

Oh – might be worth a punt. Are there any compatibility issue with SRAM or Shimano cassettes?

peteimpreza

SRAM PC991 for me. Never let me down to date.

SRAM PC991

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Second KMC – got some from Merlin and they use the same attaching method as SRAM too.

thefallguy
    Free Member

991’s for me, not tried kmc but never had issues with sram chains. 991 over lesser 951 chains cos they are nickel coated on inners as well as outers so stays shiner!

specialone
    Free Member

991 cross step for me, had 951’s before that but they kept breaking, but 991 has been solid so far

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

cheapest ones that do 9spd. They don’t look pretty, but they work. Not had one snap on mine or our hire bikes yet. The quicklink has been known to come off once or twice but that doesn’t change whatever you spend… might be different on a KMC chain.

Don’t get the blue one though – it doesn’t stay blue for long!

GW
    Free Member

PC48 – anything more expensive is just pure vanity

nickc

971, seems to be a good balance between price and life span. Can recommend the KMC ones though. (Although the gold ones are a bit Wu Tang Clan, if you know what I mean)

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Because I have more money than sense (and not very much of either).

Last long, clean easily.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have run all the SRAM 9 speeds and the 991 is lasting longest only snapped it once 🙂 but its back together and holding out until I get back home in 2 months

Travis

I run a PC-950 but then again, that one is on my Track Bike.

I do hear that the 991s are good though

simon1975

Not sure about 9-speeds although I use a PC950 on my cross bike and it does the job, but the PC830 is utter crap. The 850 and 870 are loads better although I struggle to notice any difference between those 2, getting 20 to 30 rides from either. Never snapped a SRAM chain.

PC850’s a tenner inc postage from JE James.

turnip
    Free Member

Just to let you know KMC make shimano chains, but KMC ones obviously snap less than something identical…..

Chains snap if badly fitted or set up, the more expensive versions are the same but with shinier sideplates (apart from hollow pin and holes cut out)

greasystain
    Free Member

I have my first KMC chain on it’s way to me now!

FuzzyWuzzy

991 cross step for me but only because I got a good deal on a pack of 3 a few months ago. Used 951’s fine before (also been fine with Shimano chains…)

brassneck

Wipperman Connex is on at the moment, purely for novelty value

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What SRAM chains do you run?’ is closed to new replies.