Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • What sport is more demanding than mountain biking?
  • thewanderer
    Free Member

So you tell someone you went mountain biking on the weekend and they ask you how far you rode… If their reference is road cycling the distances sound small…

It’s difficult to relate to someone how physical it is. A combination of aerobic fitness, leg strength for climbing, upper body and core and mental concentration for descent for extended periods of time.

I can’t think of a sport as all round physically demanding… especially when you have events like the Trans Provence.

Can any you lot think of any?

Markie
    Free Member

Rowing and cross country skiing spring to mind…

flange
    Free Member

Moto-x

crikey
    Free Member

You’ve got an inferiority complex about your hobby, did you know?

njee20
    Free Member

Bear fighting.

xiphon
    Free Member

Chess.

dryroasted
    Free Member

Running

yunki
    Free Member

Darts..

If their reference is road cycling the distances sound small…

get some non-cycling friends (aka normal people).. they are impressed if you ride your bike 5 miles into town and back.. let alone off road in the rain..

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Maintaining a relationship with a women.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Running, Football, Rugby, Downhill Skiing, Synchronised Swimming,

GregMay
    Free Member

Triathlon and many many other sports. Every sport is infinity hard at its elite level.

edlong
    Free Member

What sport is less demanding?

Assuming you can ride a bike (i.e. pedal and balance without falling off) you can mountain bike. I see (alright, I am) people who are grossly unfit and have very few skills yet are able to go out mountain biking. They (I) might not be fast or very good at it, but they (I) are still doing it…

ElShalimo

rugby league
    – think of it as football & wrestling for 80+ mins

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“You’ve got an inferiority complex about your hobby, did you know?”

LOL I was thinking this too.

Just doesnt cut the mustard in the office Monday morning chat when everyone asks what they have done at the weekend…

“- think of it as football & wrestling for 80+ mins” What so a pretend sport paid by nancy boys 😀 unlike rugby union

Rorschach
    Free Member

Cross country skiing,windsurfing racing,rowing,triathlon,fell running,mountaineering,enduro mx,speed skating.

captainsideburns
    Free Member

I’ve always thought solo non stop round the world yacht racing the most extreme sport.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Did a 3k sea swim on saturday morn, that seemed to impress the work mob…. Especially as there was a 25mph wind and a 2m swell… 😯

Actually it was pretty easy… it was with the outgoing tide and all you had to do was hang on for the ride… did it in 44min, would take about an hour in the pool.

crikey
    Free Member

Is this about that girl in the office?
    The one who doesn’t notice you?
    Have you tried talking to her?

Ask her about herself, maybe see what she did at weekend…

crotchrocket
    Free Member

“more demanding” = a bit subjective?

MTB is tough for fish, but they can swim further underwater than I can…

chipsngravy
    Free Member

hare and hounds enduro

paul4stones

Fell running.

thewanderer
    Free Member

Haha – quite comfortable with my self – and I know most people are to worried about themselves to care what you do

I just can’t think of a sport that challenges legs, core, upper body, aerobic ability, endurance and mental stanima to the same level am happily proved wrong.

Sure every sport taken to an elite level is crazily demanding but I think mountain biking demands more of a variety of strengths.

Lets compare v the Trans Provence

Rowing – not as dangereous / mentally taxing
    XC sking – that could be on par – is there upper body work out- never done it…
    Moto – X – I guess Paris – Dakar – is it as aerobically demanding? I haven’t done it
    Running/road riding – doesn’t have the upper body demands of a technical downhill
    Relationship with a woman – some call that sport ;o)
    Football – little upper body – limited time line
    Rugby – limited time
    Triathalon – yep Iron man is close but not the exposure to possible death
    Fell running – probably close but again no upper body work out

I reckon Mountaineering would be up there.

Bring it on…

aracer
    Free Member

You’re actually after something which sounds more impressive aren’t you? How about unicycling?

nedrapier

Ha! spent a while writing, then got distracted. 20+ replies since I started!

I know what you mean. There are other sports which came to mind, though.

Surfing in particular: there’s something special about paddling out when it’s big and scary with lots of water moving around. Analysis of the currents and the sets to pick a time and a place to paddle out. Anticipation of what a waves going to do ahead of you, timing and technique with your duck diving to minimise the drubbings, and the balls-out determination of paddling past the edge of lactic burn, interspersed with breath-holding and the odd kicking knowing that that it might take 10, 20, 30 minutes or longer to get out (if you do), and that slacking for a few strokes might be the difference between sneaking out back and getting caught by a big set, taking a beating, being washed in and starting all over again.

And if you make it out, constant paddling to stay in position, dodging big sets, being in the perfect spot for the best wave you’ve seen so far but without enough puff to catch it. And if you’re lucky/ballsy enough, maybe some actual surfing. I don’t think I’d be alone in saying I’ve had a few zero-wave sessions when it’s been big.

Ski and splitboard touring on challenging terrain I’d say is pretty similar to mountain biking in terms of all over body and mental workout – even lower mileage though, I’d struggle to ski-tour the SDW in 12 hours!) . Long alpine climbs and ocean yacht racing must be pretty tough too.

14 hours of circuit training would probably do it too!

billysugger
    Free Member

Won’t see any overweight I.T managers up there…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR1jwwagtaQ[/video]

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Is Willy Waving a sport?

thewanderer
    Free Member

I guess you could do unicycling while lifting weights… for that all round workout ;o)

nedrapier

xc skiing/ ski-touring – definitely an upper body workout! on a par at least with mountainbiking, I reckon.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Is Willy Waving a sport?

I certainly find it very good for cardio and works my core pretty well.

glenh
    Free Member

billysugger – Member
    Won’t see any overweight I.T managers up there…

Yeah, or for another recent example how about the 24 days it took to do this:
    http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web12s/newswire-superbalance

thewanderer
    Free Member

Yeah I reckon surfing ticks most of the boxes..

Willy waving – Depends on your endurance

Mountaineering / free climbing – yeah that’s a whole different league

crikey
    Free Member

Just tell her you’ve been reading 50 shades of grey and you’ve got some ideas for a date. Bish bosh, job done!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Posting on this forum can be quite a menatally demanding sport at times… takes some core strength to sit properly in your office chair too. And to spend all day doing it whilst avoiding colleagues working out what your doing takes quite some skill !

… not that I would know 🙄

OP you really need to try more sports. Mountain biking is just riding a bike, nothing more I’m sorry to say.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Road riding and cyclocross

njee20
    Free Member

Mountain biking/cycling (unlike a number of sports) is as hard as you make it, it can be pretty easy (hence all the fatties that manage just fine), but if your idea of mountain biking is the Iditabike it’s rather tougher.

WGAS?

Jerome
    Free Member

Rugby league

thewanderer
    Free Member

Mountain biking is just riding a bike, nothing more

It’s all just sport – a pastime we’re lucky to be able to do – and not something that I think is that impressive in the scale of things.

But it is fun! and I’d take any opportunity to try more!

IHN

Football – little upper body – limited time line

Yep, as demonstrated by those weedy looking wendyballers, who essentially do a bleep test for at least 90 minutes.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Darts..

If their reference is road cycling the distances sound small…
    get some non-cycling friends (aka normal people).. they are impressed if you ride your bike 5 miles into town and back.. let alone off road in the rain..

Indeed, I told a non-cycling friend the other day that I regularly ride 15miles each way to work. Judging by the look on his face he’d not have been more shocked if I told him I’d just got back from the Moon.

thewanderer
    Free Member

Indeed, I told a non-cycling friend the other day that I regularly ride 15miles each way to work. Judging by the look on his face he’d not have been more shocked if I told him I’d just got back from the Moon

I guess, part of the reason I brought this up is that often I get to work and I think there is no way anyone could even relate to what I’ve done (even if they cared).

Of course I would struggle to relate to someone who has young children, or a loved one die, etc…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘What sport is more demanding than mountain biking?’ is closed to new replies.