Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What species is the early roadside white blossom?
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I thought it was hawthorn, it’s the woody brush type hedgerow tree you see lining main roads and dual carriageways. It’s in blossom everywhere right now.

sharkbait
    Free Member

blackthorn…. vicious thorns too.

mutley

could be but more likely to be hawthorn, its the staple scrub species for road schemes and hedges.

Klunk
    Free Member

could be but more likely to be hawthorn

is that the hawthorn commonly known as Mayblossom ?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Probably blackthorn as stated. I’ve noticed a lot out in the last week. I think the general lore is that blackthorn has flowers before leaves, while the converse for hawthorn. Hawthorn (‘Queen of the May’) puts me in a right summery mood, it’s also my favourite flower/scent. Not sure if ‘ne’er cast a clout ’til May is out’ refers to the bloom or the month, but I always took it to be the bloom.

allthepies
    Free Member

Yup, most probably Blackthorn. Signals potential sloe picking locations come the Autumn 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

My first thought was hawthorn.

johnny

It’s probably Blackthorn. It usually blossoms before it buds and this is in the last weeks of March/Early April, known as the ‘blackthorn winter’. There’s often a cold snap at this time of year, and the blossom looks a bit like frost/snow.

tetchypete
    Free Member

Too early for hawthorn surely? Sloe I reckon.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Blackthorn – small white flowers along the smaller branches and twigs before the leaves.

Hawthorn – larger white flowers (clusters) mostly towards the ends of twigs after the leaves have grown. Some varieties have deep pink flowers. And they have an amazing scent on the right day.

oldboy
    Free Member

Definitely a month too early for hawthorn up here in sunny Yorkshire. Remember the old country saying; “ne’er cast a clout ’til May be out” – May being the hawthorn or mayflower, not the month.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Blackthorn first. It is always so.

CountZero

There are both along a path that takes me into the industrial estate where I work, and the flowering bushes are Blackthorn, the leaves are only just starting to show a tiny bit, Hawthorn leaves are already coming out, but there’s no flowers yet.
    The new leaves on Hawthorn are edible, and are called ‘bread and cheese’ by older country people.
    They don’t actually taste of anything very much… 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What species is the early roadside white blossom?’ is closed to new replies.