• This topic has 26 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hora.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What special Cyclocross SS frameset that is both light and multi skilled?
  • hora
    Free Member

I’ve looked at the likes of the Genesis Day one but I want something abit more special(?), lighter and something that I could commute on, ride on gravel, roads and lanes around (flat bits) of Cheshire etc etc. Something that is light enough that it has character and aesthetics are important too (colours etc).

I don’t want to £££ the earth but 853, carbon or even really nice(?) ALU would be nice? Is ALU still top draw? Scandium?

A 853 with carbon forks with both disc and drilled brake capacity that has good Geo? Thatd be ideal but what?

A big ask?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Anything with a PF42 is ss’able with a Problem Solvers EBB.Chances of getting a disc/caliper frame is very low.
    As you are not picky….you should find something suitable.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Mason?
    Mate has a Pilgrim and it’s ace, might be too much money for you though.

MrPottatoHead

Nine RLT is on my wish list and ticks all the boxes. Bowman Foots Cray also nice but not sure you can SS.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I loik this

fatmax

Singular Kite or Shand Stooshie?

MrPottatoHead

Is that really a Raleigh? They are knocking out some very decent bikes at the mo-just not sure I could get on board with the brand being ‘special’.

nre
    Free Member

Not sure if it will count as ‘special’, but the Arkose SS meets the other criteria, and certainly has distinctive colour(s):
    Arkose SS frameset

hora
    Free Member

Which one is the Raleigh?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thought about this?
    Ditch the SS idea..

Link to Road.cc for Ackrose 4

plus-one

Chinese special i built up couple of years ago .. Raced it ss(bb30) with beer components ebb..

Now running it 1×10 with spare road wheels it’s now winter/wet weather road and pop the cx wheels back in for off road 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pJWBp8]Untitled[/url] by Plus one2010, on
    Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/G256Cu]1×10 road/cx rig[/url] by Plus one2010, on Flickr

Bregante

hora take a look at All City. 1shed on here has one and it’s lovely in the flesh.

They do a SS specific frame (nature boy?).

Edit:

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/frames-forks-c6/cyclocross-frames-c49/all-city-nature-boy-853-disc-frameset-p15005

Cheaper chromoloy version but still SS here too.

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/frames-forks-c6/cyclocross-frames-c49/all-city-nature-boy-cx-disc-frameset-p14610

RoterStern
    Free Member

For something ‘special’ then something out of Portland. IF for example or a friend of mine has just built up an Elephant bike which I had never heard of but it looks lush.

Bregante

Or don’t bother with discs and get one of these from Kingdom?

http://kingdombike.com/en/other_product/Arise

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve looked at the likes of the Genesis Day one but I want something abit more special(?), lighter and something that I could commute on, ride on gravel, roads and lanes around (flat bits) of Cheshire etc etc. Something that is light enough that it has character and aesthetics are important too (colours etc).

I’d maybe try and borrow a road/cross SS for a play before committing. I found it much harder to find a gearing balance between being able to maintain any sort of reasonable flat terrain speed and the ability to climb reasonably steep hills than I did with a mtb SS. It was either ridiculously spinny on the flat or brutally hard on the climbs.

I should imagine that expecting it to climb off road as well would make things even worse. Obviously it’s not impossible, I know two people who’ve done the Three Peaks on a singlespeed, one of them fixed, but it’s hard work. You might be better off with 1×10 as a compromise, that’s pretty much what I ended up doing.

qwerty
    Free Member

Kona Private Jake

hora
    Free Member

That City Boy is really nice but 900 sheets. You can take the lad out of Yorkshire..

Left field.. Any sale 29’er Ritchey frames knocking about? Would that work with carbon forks, 700(?) Wheels etc?

john_l
    Free Member

Thought you wanted a singlespeed?

Bregante

That was this morning’s flight of fancy.

So far this week it’s been a fixie and a moped too.

God knows what he’ll come up with over the weekend…….

epicyclo

Seeing as it’s Hora we need something special. 🙂

May I suggest a Pompino with a liberal dose of Drillium?

hora
    Free Member

I want a SS, open to vert drop outs if need be. Ideally horizontal.

Moped? Still fancy one. The problem with them is spring/summer = higher sellers prices?

benji
    Free Member

I’ve been running my Niner RLT as a SSCX for the past two seasons, it’s great fun to race, reliable, and all you need is an eccentric bottom bracket, weight wise it’s floaty light, especially for the coming cross season, with carbon wheels tubs, and hylex brakes, should be rapid.

fin25
    Free Member
    cookeaa

I reckon you should trial the concept of a SSCX bike before jumping full bore into a 853 framed ego chariot…

Last year’s Arkose SS for £600 would probably be ideal.
    It doesn’t tick all the niche boxes you gave, but lets you decide if the concept of a SSCX bike really works for you relatively cheaply, it can also be geared up should you find SSing a bit of a chore.

Daffy

Second vote for the Niner RLT9. I bought mine as a replace,ent for a heavy and numb feeling Genesis a Day One Alfine 11. It’s markedly better to the point of being incomparable.

SS without slot dropouts – I hate slot dropouts.
    Interal routing for both shift and brakes,
    DI2 compatible,
    Light,
    Stiff,
    Can take guards and racks.

nickwatson
    Free Member

Daffy, that RTL is lovely. However when I (keep) adding up how much a nice example would cost, it always comes out at about the £2k mark. I’m tempted to try and import a Raliegh RSX from America, with taxes, etc would work out about £1.5k, and does look rather nice …

hora
    Free Member

1×10? 32T narrow wide up front?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What special Cyclocross SS frameset that is both light and multi skilled?’ is closed to new replies.