Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • What spec bike to build out of second hand bits?
  • tron
    Free Member

It’s not hugely likely that my bike’s going to turn up after being nicked the other day, so it’s time to start thinking about building a new bike.

I know that I’ll most likely want a fairly sturdy XC / trail hardtail that doesn’t need a lot of looking after. Obviously, my life will be much easier if I stick to a the most commonly available standards for all the components.

I’m quite happy with 2×9 gearing, but will equally fit 2×10 if it’s available cheaply these days. I’d like to stick with 26″ wheels to be able to have tyres interchangeable between bikes. One thing I do know is that I want a standard threaded BB. And I’ll be fitting an internal BB. I’m aware that will mean putting together my own crankset out of either second hand or low end bits, but I won’t have to change the bottom bracket every 5 minutes.

Do I go for a standard 1 1/8th head tube frame or are most of the decent second hand forks to some other standard now? My previous forks have always been oil bath Bombers, because they’re bombproof. What’s the modern equivalent?

And what’s going on with all these different rear end axle standards? And is there a “normal” front end QR / axle standard now?

tron
    Free Member

Bump for the Friday slackers.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘What spec bike to build out of second hand bits?’ is closed to new replies.