Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What SPD shoes are people using these days
  • Sui
    Free Member

I’m trying to replace my rather tatty Spec BG trail/touring type things that I’ve had a for a good few years. I’ve never been overly fond of them, but I bought em and was/am tight (now I have kids).

When I started out I used to use Shimano Carbon race things (the bright blue ones of yonder), I loved those shoes, when they fell apart after many a race I replaced them with the new version with ratchet (bright silver things) – they were ace and the ratchet was a revelation.

The price of any decent quality shoes seems to have gone through the roof these days. Also, lots of gripes from Shimano shoes not engaging with caged pedals..

thoughts?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Using Spec BG Comps, Teva Pivots and 5-10 minaars.

For normal trail riding the Teva’s are winning out.

djflexure

I got some Scott comp in the Start sale. They are nice.

Here

Some 10% extra codes about as well when I ordered.

Fresh Goods Friday 698 - The Boom Box Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 698 - The Boom B...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    arachnidlover
    Free Member

Mavic Apline XL……. great shoe in my opinion.

chvck
    Free Member

Crivit (the lidl shoes), they’re quite heavy and never dry out but get the job done and cost me 9 quid! Also, the bottoms are like hiking boots so if I have to push anywhere they’re great.

Sui
    Free Member

hmm those Mavics, I’m just sending back the Cruze version as the toe cap seems to be quite restricting and an odd fit, could give those a go I suppose..

winston
    Free Member

Shimano fit is rubbish – they seem to think feet are rectangular

Sidi Dominator is the yardstick for me but they are silly money now

nemesis
    Free Member

I got some Scott MTB Team Boa shoes and I’m really pleased with them, particularly at £50.

It looks like they only have them in 48 now though but there are others available:

http://startcycles.co.uk/sale/category/scott-clearance.html?dir=asc&limit=21&order=position&shoe_type=329

nemesis
    Free Member

winston – Member
    Shimano fit is rubbish

If find they’re great. Sidi fit is rubbish. They don’t fit my feet at all…

jonathan
    Free Member

Mavic Alpine XL here too… love them. The new (cough) enduro ones look nice too http://www.mavic.com/footwear-enduro-crossmax

Sui
    Free Member

jonathan – Member

Mavic Alpine XL here too… love them. The new (cough) enduro ones look nice too http://www.mavic.com/footwear-enduro-crossmax

see I’m sure they are a very good shoe – BWTF why bright YELLOW fools.

andytherocketeer

The only thing rubbish with Shimano’s fit is their total inability to use a size numbering scheme consistent with any other standard shoe size numbering scheme.

Was looking at some Scott shoes. Anyone know how the size numbers compare with proper EU size numbers?

stevied
    Free Member

Mavic Alpine XL here too. Really happy with them. Decent power transmission and a revelation to walk in after having very rigid/carbon soles for a long time.
    £80 from Buckingham Bikes when I got mine last week..

kimbers

Ive got the newer mavic alpines and they are great, better fit than my old mavic switchbacks, avoid the disco slipper look ,though maybe a bit golf, either way not gopping yellow!,
    stiff, fast drying and really important for me, decent grips off the bike in the mud- shimano take note

ive got some gyro shoes i use for comuting very stiff but also come up very narrow in the toe area

nemesis
    Free Member

andytherocketeer – Member
    The only thing rubbish with Shimano’s fit is their total inability to use a size numbering scheme consistent with any other standard shoe size numbering scheme.

Was looking at some Scott shoes. Anyone know how the size numbers compare with proper EU size numbers?

First, my Shimano shoes are the same size as my Spesh, Scott and Bont shoes so I disagree on the sizing though I will conceed that they are 48 and non-cycling shoes would be a 12 for me which is 47.

And I think that also answers your question.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mavic always makes me think of Morrisons with that big M logo. Used AM45’s, they were really good, lasted 2 years before the front split, now using Five10 Maltese falcon. Love them.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Currently have a pair of Spuik Risko’s for summer use. I like them.

kiwijohn

After 7 years, my MT90’s may be dying. Time for some MT91’s, or is the MT92 imminent?

disco_stu
    Free Member

Has anyone tried any of the Decathlon Mtb shoes?
    I had a quick look at them last week, looked as if they could do with a bit more grip on the soles but seemed a good price.

spxxky

Spec BG Pro – best I’ve ever had and lasted for years… still using them! Mavic Chasm waiting when (if) the Specs fall apart 🙂

gonzy
    Free Member

had a pair of these Shimano MT50’s for about 8 years and they’re still going strong…the fir is pretty good, the only downside is that they’re pretty fugly…

bought a pair of Shimano XC30’s 2 weeks ago…so far they feel fine but they’ll only be used on the commuter bike so i guess i’ll never find out how they wear in the mud…

also have a pair of Shimano DX’s (non SPD) they’re also about 8 years old and still going strong and are at the moment the shoe of choice for the MTB

djflexure

I take a 45 in virtually everything and the Scotts fit fine in the 45. The toe box is roomy. No need to size up or anything.

gavstorie
    Free Member

just got a pair of Giro Terraduros.. Good fit, light and fast drying.. The soles are vibram and aren’t bad for walking in..

http://www.giro.com/eu_en/terraduro-20193.html/

andytherocketeer

First, my Shimano shoes are the same size as my Spesh, Scott and Bont shoes so I disagree on the sizing though I will conceed that they are 48 and non-cycling shoes would be a 12 for me which is 47.

OK so Shimano aren’t the only ones that deviate from EU DIN ISO EN or whatever standard shoe sizes 😉

I take a 45 in virtually everything and the Scotts fit fine in the 45. The toe box is roomy. No need to size up or anything.

this seems to be more in line with other reviews I’ve read. Or at least that Scott seem to be closer to the standard, whereas Shimano are consistently 1-2 EU size numbers away.

Will risk ordering a 45 Scott or 47 Shimano (and I’m a 45 in almost every shoe that’s not cycling related).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

what is this shoe size standard?
    I have Teva’s in 43, 5-10’s in 41, most of the other shoes I have are 44 except for the odd random pair that are a mystery. Partly why I’d never bother buying shoes on-line.

ads678

I’ve got shimano AM45’s, great trail shoes, size 43. Shimano road shoes size 44, both fit fine!!

Sui
    Free Member

gavstorie – Member

just got a pair of Giro Terraduros.. Good fit, light and fast drying.. The soles are vibram and aren’t bad for walking in..

http://www.giro.com/eu_en/terraduro-20193.html/

hmmm, bit pricey mind…

prezet
    Free Member

Giro Chambers – and damn they’re comfy! Had a pair of AM45 for a few rides but way to heavy and clumpy. Will probably keep them for winter shoes as the flap over the top is good at keeping the wet and mud out.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Had my Shimano MT 43s for a few weeks now and I’m liking them

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What SPD shoes are people using these days’ is closed to new replies.