Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • what sort of wheels are these?
  • sadexpunk

mates asked me to look out for another set of wheels for his mtb. he just bought some on impulse from ebay, and theyre not compatible.
    he needs some to use with his marzocchi bombers, i think theyre R33 or something? the wheels just have a hole all the way through, no skewers etc. and once they sit in the dropouts, you stick a bolt through the forks and wheel, and screw it onto fork the other side.

i think he said theyre 15mm but i could be mistaken.

im pretty sure these will be called 'bolt through' wheels, but i thought you only got these on the more expensive set ups, which his isnt.

are there different types of bolt through? different sizes? and am i right in thinking the regular skewered wheels he bought wont be able to be adapted in any way?

thanks

james
    Free Member

Pics needed (fork and wheels) i think, just to fully clarify

cp

it does sound like you're describing bolt-thru style wheels and forks. There are different types, and some hubs are convertible between QR and bolt-thru – so more info on wheels and fork model needed!

sadexpunk

right. few pics for you. pretty sure the bombers are just called 33. hubs have no name on them. rims are alex DP-17 if that makes any difference.

thanks

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Looks like 20mm bolt thru but just measure the dia of the axle to be sure.

peachos
    Free Member

my mate has some of these on his GT Aggressor, they are 15mm bolt-through hubs.

sadexpunk

yeah, pretty sure my mate mentioned 15mm, but ill check first.

so if hes looking in the ads and on ebay, i assume thats exactly what he needs to look for? '15mm bolt through wheels'? theres no conversions between 15 and 20, or from skewered to bolt through?

ill be putting a wtd ad in the classifieds when i know exactly what to ask for 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

According to the manual 33s come in QR15 (or standard 9mm QR).
    So I reckon QR15 is what he's after.

sadexpunk

yup, looks like youre right. confusing int it 🙂

so now as well as quick release skewers, and bolt through, looks like hes got a quick release axle! 🙂

just done a search on 'QR15' on ebay tho with zero results. so what wheels does ne need to be looking out for do you think? will they be called QR15 wheels?? or bolt through wheels?

cheers

MussEd
    Free Member

Hope pro 2 hubs can be easily coverted to fit 15mm axles. Cost about 20quid for the converters. put wanted ad for hope pro2 front wheel then buy the kit?

sadexpunk

thanks mate. id guess hope hoops would be out of his price range tho. does anyone else sell them like that in the first place or do you need to convert them? he'd just be happy with another cheapish pair like hes already got.

lyons
    Free Member

i have some hope pro 2 hubs on mavic xm719 rims that i would sell, and as mentioned they can be converted… I

sadexpunk

how much mate? and have you got a link to a conversion kit so he can factor that into the cost?

thanks a lot

lyons
    Free Member

I'd be after about 140 posted. I had the bearings in the rear hub, changed whilst at bontrager 24/12, and have barely used it since. So bearings are like new on the rear. The front bearings are fine. There are a few small marks on the rims, but nothing bad. Just from use. I have hardly used them to be honest, they were a bad buy for me. But just seemed a bargain :D. Plus he would need this

lyons
    Free Member

they may not be in stock at CRC, but a local bike shop could get them very easily.

sadexpunk

thanks for the offer dood, but he told me he got a limit of £100. hes not after anything special, and those are too good for him really 🙂

thanks anyway

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘what sort of wheels are these?’ is closed to new replies.