Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • What sort of sleeping bag would I need…
  • loddrik
    Free Member

To sleep in a tent in January?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Where?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ninja edit at the speed of light!

scaredypants

Where?

In a TENT ! 🙄

matt_outandabout

It depends.

trail_rat
    Free Member

A dry one

bigblackshed

I’d say a warm one. But that depends on where you’re sleeping?

I’d much prefer a mosquito net if I was in, say, Indonesia!

jam-bo

One with a decent mat underneath.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

One with a decent mat underneath.

Surf?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

January in Newcastle (New South Wales), little more than a beach towel.

trademark
    Free Member

Surf?

😆

Working on the lack of info from the OP, I’d just advise a comfortable one. HTH. 😉

jam-bo

Surf?

Come on, that would have to be awesome…

loddrik
    Free Member

UK.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Surf?

Just got that CFH! 😀

TheBrick
    Free Member

Where in the uk?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

One with a well insulated hood?

matt_outandabout

I hear Somerset is just like Cairngorm, on the right day.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

The most expensive one, obvs.

snax

The cheapest one you can buy if you are sleeping in a tent pitched inside your house… a slightly more expensive one if you want to sleep in a tent outside on a hill in Scotland… 😉

timidwheeler

It depends.
    The New Forest, 10 seconds from the car which holds a couple of emergency duvets.
    Or the middle of the Cairngorm plateau having ice climbed up.
    Or somewhere in between?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Cornwall or Cairngorm?

Loddrik is being…what’s the word?

benji
    Free Member

I would be looking for a four season bag and a liner, combined with a good matt.

sweepy
    Free Member

What often gets forgotten with sleeping bags is the size. You lie flat on your back in the shop and think ‘that s ok’ then you curl up on a cold night and get cold knees.

That, and you can always undo a warm bag.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You can’t gloss over the importance of a good matte.

matt_outandabout

Or a good Matt. 8)

scaredypants

some matts are good, some are one is AWESOME but also as flash suggests, some are a bit dull

dms01

Have a read of the http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/ site, they make the best bags in the world… In the UK.

welshfarmer

Get the best and warmest down bag you can afford. Something like a Rab or an Ajunglak. I have had my 4 seasons 900gm fill bag now for almost 20 years (reminds me, it probably needs a wash 🙂 ). Comfy to -12 and good for -23. I have slept in snow holes and in the Sahara desert. When it is hot just open up and use as a duvet, when cold, zip it up tight and wear your thermals inside. A good bag will last and last and should be considered an investment.

I would always rather have a bag that is too warm than suffer a night of being too cold (and I have suffered hundreds and hundreds of them in the past when camping in the past with shite bags.)

The advice on a good mat though is probably even more important than the quality of bag to be fair. Even the best bag is only as good as the insulation from the floor. And don’t skimp and buy a cheap air bed as they are shite too. A 10mm closed cell foam mat is infinitely better, but a self inflating mat with a foam core is better still. Quality counts here too and it really is worth spending on a good brand like Thermarest.

ampthill

Get the best and warmest down bag you can afford. Something like a Rab or an Ajunglak. I have had my 4 seasons 900gm fill bag now for almost 20 years (reminds me, it probably needs a wash ). Comfy to -12 and good for -23. I have slept in snow holes and in the Sahara desert. When it is hot just open up and use as a duvet, when cold, zip it up tight and wear your thermals inside. A good bag will last and last and should be considered an investment.

But I’d only add if you do also buy a cheap bag. Because although you’ll be fine in hot weather in a too warm bag it a stupid way to reduce it slife. I have 2 knackered down bags. I wish in summer I’d used a cheap synthetic one

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ill rock the cart with ….. Higear pioneer

4 seasons , its done countless strathpuffers and relentless 24s , snow hole bivvy outs in -18 , bothying and just autumn winter use.

Can be had for about 50 quid and i dont cry if it gets wet. Bought it for the inaugral puffer – best bit of kit i took with me , none of the rest of it was up to the challenge 🙂

footflaps

I’ve got three sleeping bags, a 2-3 season synthetic for car camping, a 750gm fill ME 4 season which I’ve used for sleeping in the Cairngorms in January amongst other things and an ultra light ME down bag for KIMMs etc, which I really should sell as I can’t see myself doing one again.

martinhutch

Depends on how ‘hot’ you run. I’ve known people who manage with a cheap 3-season bag in very cold conditions, while I’d probably shiver a bit in my decent 4-season bag.

You may get away with a decent hat for that bald head, some reasonable thermals and a cheap bag.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Footflaps …. Tell me more of this super lite down bag if your looking to sell. …… Im in the market for a light low packing bag …..

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Footflaps …. Tell me more of this super lite down bag if your looking to sell. …… Im in the market for a light low packing bag …..

I’ll guess at an ME Dewline, they were the alpine bivi bag to own back in my day. it’ll be excellent (if he’s looked after it). Only downside with them, for me at any rate, is the lack of zip. They were expensive back then. I’ve used mine for high alt bivis in summer and wild camping in depths of winter (with a down jacket).

footflaps

Yep, Dewline 300! Mint condition, used twice and stored loose in a cupboard. £75 posted if you’re interested.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Acmua9]Dewline 300[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ArEmwj]Dewline 300[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/zwVQrJ]Dewline 300[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Cat not included….

Junkyard
    Free Member

How much for the cat then ?

footflaps

well if you take Jeff, you’d have to take his brother George and that’s going to be expensive…..

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘What sort of sleeping bag would I need…’ is closed to new replies.