Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What sort of cyclist would book a holiday in Anglesey?
  • mudshark
    Free Member

Some friends of my Gran who lives that way have asked me how they might attract cyclists to stay in their holiday home on Anglesey – closer to Holyhead than Bangor. They have no problem getting people in the summer months and wonder if cyclists or walkers might be interested in coming at other times. IMO the island is too flat for cyclists and walkers to be particular interested in going there and the house is a bit far from Snowdonia really. Are there cyclists that would be interested? Old ones?!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

cycle tourists using it as a stop off on the way to Ireland

AndyP
    Free Member

Snowdonia really isn't that far. Nice ride to Betws-y-Coed for lunch, back to the island in time for a few post-ride beers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Handsomedog
    Free Member

Its the end of the Sustrans transwales route. Could she arrange to be a route stamping location? Get it onto the official sustrans website?

StuF

ones who like windsurfing as well? we always used to go there and it was great for water sports.

mudshark
    Free Member

Yeah it's not so far to Snowdonia just that I think cyclists may as well base themselves out that way – unless they want to combine the holiday with other activities. The water sport market seems a good option.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

I'd really like to go to Anglesey for all the megalithia that's there but there's not enough mountain biking there to tempt me to take the bike. Country lanes and that kind of mellow ride? Maybe but it's not for me.

Snowdonia really isn't that far. Nice ride to Betws-y-Coed for lunch, back to the island in time for a few post-ride beers.

Hmm, I think I'd choose to stay closer personally.

Mind you, once my or the missus passes our driving tests (look out world, lol!) we'll be visiting Anglesey so let us know your nan's place and we'll probably book in *at some point*

alexonabike

they could aim their sights at climbers instead. Lots of good climbing near Holyhead. Gogarth etc.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

it's probably quite good for winter training, from memory its one of those places where you'r always going into a headwind!

Some spectacular (and empty) beaches if you know where to look (and have a boat) too.

bakey

I'm originally from Anglesey, now live closer to the hills in Mold!

Cycling: there's some great road cycling to be had on pretty quiet country roads; Holyhead Mountain/South Stack is great fun (but tough and v. rocky) for half a day or so. Llanberis is 40 mins away tops, so an early morning spin up Snowdon is a possibility (as I did from Benllech last week – pics to follow!)

Really Anglesey is best for water sports and the fantastic coastal path.

Have a word with the Council tourist office – there may be some grants…

mudshark
    Free Member

it's probably quite good for winter training, from memory its one of those places where you'r always going into a headwind!

Yup – I did a lap of Anglesey and then Holy Island last week in strong winds and rain and it really did seem I was always cycling into the wind!

simonralli2
    Free Member

I used to live in Holyhead for a while. It would be a good base for people with cars, as there are a number of fab MTB routes in the very near vacinity.

As for the island itself, maybe they could recommend one or two bike tours based on the many well-known and not-so-well-known gems on the island. You have megalithic sites, holy wells, many awesome, the copper mines, and plenty of very old churches and priories of historic and legendary importance.

This website has lots of information they could link to for err, people like myself who like combining bike rides with places of archeaological interest 🙂

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/search.php?query=anglesey&country=4&topic=&category=0&county=1&sitetype=&days=0

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Megalithic Portal's awesome; Modern Antiquarian is pretty cool too.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What sort of cyclist would book a holiday in Anglesey?’ is closed to new replies.