Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What Softshell?
  • flyingmonkeycorps

For riding, walking, possibly a bit of climbing, maybe going down the pub… You know the deal. Currently using a Craghoppers one like this:

Which is ok, but a pain in the arse when biking – I can’t get it on and off over a helmet. Quite fancy the Moon hooded one like this one:

Any other suggestions? Budget of around 50 squid.

jam-bo

cheap DHB one on sportpursuit at the moment.

peterfile
    Free Member

I just bought a Marmot Tempo Hoody for £65 (down from £110) from Cotswolds.

It’s awesome. Not very windproof/waterproof, but it’s designed as a really breathable softshell, which makes it great for the bike/running/hiking/climbing etc when I’m getting a sweat on.

I struggle to get things which don’t annoy me when climbing, but this is perfect. Moves with you, doesn’t ride up from under your harness when reaching, pockets useful, hood fits over helmet and twists when you turn your head.

It’s really stretchy and snug, sooooo comfy.

flyingmonkeycorps

Ooh now I do like that Marmot one… What’s the sizing like? I’d usually go medium but large is the smallest they have left…

speed12
    Free Member

Montane Dyno is great for riding in.

Montane Dyno Jacket

As reviewed by this here Singletrack as well (although only seems to be premier accessible – gave it a good review though). It’s a non-membrane jacket, so you give up a bit of water-resistance, but is much more breathable than a Windstopper, Power Shield etc jacket. Good cut, hood which rolls away when on the bike, nicely breathable, tough, light, sorted! Casual enough to wear to the pub as well without looking like you’ve just come of the North Face of the Eiger….

The Marmot one above would be good as well (both are similar in design/features).

peterfile
    Free Member

Ooh now I do like that Marmot one… What’s the sizing like? I’d usually go medium but large is the smallest they have left…

Ah, that’s a shame. I’m normally a medium in pretty much everything (38″ chest and 32″ waist), but the small was a MUCH better fit in this.

The sleeves and body are quite long (which gives it a great fit for biking and climbing) so the small was perfect for me (although you’d struggle if your waist is larger than 32″).

They have it in small at Amazon in BLACK, although it’s getting close to £20 over budget.

Have a look around online, you might get lucky.

wrecker
    Free Member

Moon is lovely stuff. Very nicely cut, well made, looks good too. For £50 you aren’t getting a lot better than that.

flyingmonkeycorps

I reckon I’m probably a bit bigger than you Mr File, 34″ waist and 40-42″ish chest so I’d probably need the medium… The Amazon one is tempting, plus I have a £20 voucher for Amazon that I need to spend.

Still tempted by the Moon thought… Reckon it’s between that and the Marmot at the mo.

Interesting that they all begin with “M”!

peterfile
    Free Member

I reckon I’m probably a bit bigger than you Mr File, 34″ waist and 40-42″ish chest so I’d probably need the medium… The Amazon one is tempting, plus I have a £20 voucher for Amazon that I need to spend.

A medium should be spot on for you then, i’m a 38-40″ normally, so you’re 2″ bigger than me all over 🙂

If you can get one to try on, you’ll love it. I went in to buy 78p worth of accessory cord, tried it on when the girl was cutting and sealing the cord and ended up leaving the shop still wearing it (i did pay for it though)!

crush83
    Free Member

i have a tog24 one i live in.

like this but green!

flyingmonkeycorps

Dammit! Went for the Moon one, and sized up due to their sizing chart (apparently XL is 40″ chest and L is 38″, so I went for a large) and it’s enormous. Now debating whether to hang on to it or send it back and get a medium… Or maybe go for the Marmot instead, it’s actually not THAT nice.

peterfile
    Free Member

Go for the Marmot, I’ve not taken mine off since I bought it 🙂

flyingmonkeycorps

I think I just might do that… The Moon is a bit of a weird cut (or I’m a weird shape!) in that it’s quite short in the body even in the large, so a medium would be even worse.

Cheezpleez

I recently bought a Karrimor one from Field and Trek for about £30. It’s really good. V. breathable and stretchy, fairly but not completely windproof and will save you from a shower. Cut is a bit on the flappy side so you might want to size down if you’re after a snug fit.

flyingmonkeycorps

I actually ended up getting a cheap Dare2Be one as well, I suspect that’ll end up being the “bouncing down a rocky hill” biking one whilst the Moon / Marmot (whichever I end up with) will be for more sedately paced outdoor activities.

GregMay
    Free Member

I have one of the Moon ones for general wearing. No way in hell I’d wear it riding. Way to heavy, way to warm, way to not riding kti.

But, I am of the ride a long way lycra XC/CX jeyboy riding clan and don’t own a pair of baggies. So my ideas of riding may differ.

However, it is a nice old jacket 🙂 More so as I was given it for a few pints.

flyingmonkeycorps

Yup I agree now I have one in my hands, much heavier than I expected! Would have been fine for the other uses if it fit though.

flyingmonkeycorps

For anyone who cares… I now am the proud owner of a Marmot softshell as recommended above by Mr File, and very lovely it is too. PERFECT for biking, though I don’t know if I can bring myself to wear something so nice when I know it’ll get covered in crap and bounced off rocks!

peterfile
    Free Member

Glad you like it, I would have felt a bit guilty if you didn’t! 🙂

Aye, it a great bit of kit. I wear mine for everything – so much so that I’m considering getting another (one for getting dirty and the other for post/pre ride/climb/walk etc).

That said, they are machine washable, so I’ll see how it comes out first.

Despite it looking like rocks would mess it up, I’ve been wearing it climbing and it takes a lot of being jammed against rocks and rubbed. No signs of wear at all. Even the waist area which sits under my harness isn’t showing any wear.

flyingmonkeycorps

Aye I had a feeling it might be tougher than it looked… I suspect it’ll end up being a “best” jacket for a few weeks, then just used for everything anyway. Then I’ll be keeping an eye out for another on sale somewhere…

Definitely ideal for Autumn adventures with a tent and that kind of malarkey, I’m really impressed by how light and flexible it is.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What Softshell?’ is closed to new replies.