Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • what smartphone for offroad touring 2 big trips coming up…
  • jimsmith
    Free Member

Hi all
    Im off on tour again next year and Im after a smartphone, never had one before but they seem to be so multi functional these days that i could potentially get rid of heaps of stuff from my current touring set up, save me some weight and be better at doing what I need it to do…

so here’s what I’m after:
    something to do phone/text/internet/voip etcetc and not locked into a network/contract as I tend to spend a long time abroad (thinking of 5 months in Scandinavia next year then maybe the winter in Oz) Id like to be able to just buy a pay as you go sim where ever I’m going. (so triband and multi sim capable)

something with GPS (preferably that is not to battery intensive)

decent and expandable storage for music/photos, preferably an SD card or similar.
    Do phones these days have the ability to host other usb devices? I have an archos atm which i can use to swap music to a small mp3 player and download photos from my camera which is really useful for being on the road for months at a time.

on the subject of cameras i could do away with a seperate camera if the phone camera was good enough.

something fairly rugged and weatherproof (maybe with a case) that can be bar mounted for GPS duties

Id want to charge with a hub dynamo or a solar panel so something with relatively standard plugs and voltages.

Ive had a play on an iphone 4 and an HTC one x both had problems with one of the above things…

Cheers
    Jamie

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Motorola Defy Plus.

– Can get up to 5 to 8 hours GPS if you set the screen up correctly.
    – Takes micro SD up to 32gb
    – Don’t think it can do USB hosting though
    – Camera is 5mp and is okay but not great
    – IP67 so waterproof and dust proof
    – With a slight modification (drill four holes) there is an aluminium case that can get you easy mounting on the stem for GPS.
    – charging is by micro usb.

They are pretty cheap now. Also look at Sony Xperia Go (faster processor but screen and battery not as good).

Regards

pdV6
    Free Member

iPhone / OneX etc. are high end devices with power-hungry screens & CPUs.

If you look at the low-to-mid-range from various manufacturers you’re more likely to find a lower-res screen and slower CPU – meaning more life out of the battery.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i would not replace your camera with a phone camera IRRESPECTIVE of how good the camera on the phone is.

Your doing a trip , take photos worth remembering it by.

Im not a photographer by any stretch and often use my phone but i look back at my NZ and australia trip photos taken on a bridge camera and think , those places were lovely , i take photos on my phone when im away with work , some lovely sights ive seen ruined by phone photography.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘what smartphone for offroad touring 2 big trips coming up…’ is closed to new replies.