Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What smart timer switch?
  • sam_underhill

I’ve got something I’d like to put a time switch on, but it would make most sense to have full remote control / setup from my phone or browser.
    Not really looked into the before, so thought I’d see what people have used.

sharkbait
    Free Member

What do you want it to switch?

sam_underhill

Dehumidifier. It’s a touch noisy, so I turn it off at night.

sharkbait
    Free Member

If you are at all geeky it would be easy to set up a Raspberry Pi so that it monitored the humidity and when it got above a certain lever it would wirelessly switch on the dehumidifier.
    You could also override it manually from your phone if you set up dynamic dns on your broadband.
    Otherwise just a digital timer switch with a couple of programs.

sam_underhill

The dehumidifier has got a humidistat, just don’t want it to come on at night. Cheapest option might just be a boggo digital timer switch.

just5minutes
    Free Member

the remote control plus from Maplin work well and cost about £20. If you want to control a plug from outside the house have a look at the Belkin WeMo plugs – they can be turned on/off from a smartphone or set to follow programmable rules e.g. turn on / off at sunrise.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Surely a simple analogue inline plug-in timer could switch off overnight?

sharkbait
    Free Member

The dehumidifier has got a humidistat, just don’t want it to come on at night. Cheapest option might just be a boggo digital timer switch.

In that case, yes a cheapo digital. Were you working on the basis of ‘If I’m getting a timer switch I may as well get a smart one’?

Belkin WeMo plugs – they can be turned on/off from a smartphone or set to follow programmable rules e.g. turn on / off at sunrise.

Also can be controlled by IFTT.
    Personally I use Energenie wireless plugs that are controlled by a Pi either on a schedule, python program (i.e. I use a Pi as a heating thermostat to switch a number of electric heaters on/off) or remotely.

matt_outandabout

Cheapest option

We do this:

But then chez_ouatandabout is not a mansion, and so the walk to do this is only a short one. 😉

sam_underhill

In that case, yes a cheapo digital. Were you working on the basis of ‘If I’m getting a timer switch I may as well get a smart one’?

yep.

They look pricier than I expected as you quickly fall into an eco system os smart home stuff. Samsung smartthings etc.

Boggo digital is looking favourite for this application.

mattyfez

Ta Da!

timer

allthepies
    Free Member

Recently bought one of these Wifi sockets

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andoer-Wireless-Control-Appliance-Automation-1-pc/dp/B00PVTCHXS

(Got mine from Banggood for about £10 but did take 6 wks to arrive).

Very nicely made, instructions actually in English and allows control via an app etc over the cloud.

Supports scheduled on/off timer stuff, countdown timer blah blah.

Also hackable if you’re that way inclined as the protocol has been reverse engineered.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Just got 4 more Energenie wireless sockets for £8 on eBay 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What smart timer switch?’ is closed to new replies.