Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What small motorway sensible car?
  • convert

Looking for a little help choosing a new car.

We previously had 2 cars – me Fiat Stilo (I know, why?), her Fiat Seicento sporting (surprisingly fun). We now live at my work so my commute is a walk through the woods and am just completing the conversion of a van into a biking/camping/love machine which will act as my wheels on the odd occasion I need motorised transport so my car is going (about time too). Her Seicento is perfect for the 3 mile commute to work but as an only car does not quite cut it on longer trips (my folks live 600 miles away) when we don't want to take the van.

So, looking for a small 2nd hand town-centric car that does not feel as vulnerable on the motorway and is vaguely comfortable for the occasional longer trip. Does not need to be bike friendly.

Mini?
    Suzuki Swift?
    Polo/Ibiza?
    Or maybe just take the big boy anyway or hire a car….

zaskar
    Free Member

A friend uses a 1.25 zetec Fiesta so a min of 1.3 ish.

Most cars will happily cruise at 70 no problemo.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Honda Jazz

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Honda jazz…only if you have a blue rinse or wear gloves and a cap to drive.

Fiesta
    Panda
    Fabia derv burner.

binners

A VW Polo GTi is like a rocket powered roller skate. Bloody great fun! And more than happy on Motorway runs

convert

I'd love to see my wife parallel parking the Ferrari! Now a polo gti (or equiv from others on the same floorpan if they exist) might be just the ticket.

My 75 year old neighbour has a Jazz…. I just…. couldn't!

zaskar
    Free Member

Wait a min, the OP asked about a VW golf GTI and Ferrari??? 😆

Small car but can drive around the city and motorway if needed?

BTW are you selling the Fiat for this 'newer' car?

Budget?

Paulio
    Free Member

I've had a new Fiesta (1.4 TDCI) as a hire car today and I was well impressed by it after a couple of hundred miles. Feels almost like a big car on the motorway and good fun on twisty stuff. Could have done with bit more oomph but it didn't feel really underpowered for overtaking.

molgrips
    Free Member

My Ibiza 1.9 TDi never felt anything other than superbly composed on the motorway. The fact it was diesel helped as the engine was barely ticking over at 70mph. Dieselness has to help, the torque helps with a relaxed cruising feeling I reckon.

It was also brill on windy roads 🙂

convert

Yep, both the Stilo and the Seicento to go….

Budget – well its not going to run to a Ferrari! Not sure really – whatever we get for the two plus 5-6K maybe. It will live in a public car park when on commute duties so spending more would seem a waste.

convert

Mind you the Siecento has been good fun to drive around town (a bit like a go cart) but is very basic & uncomfortable on the motorway and feels very vulnerable (probably is). My wife has always complained about getting bullied by bigger cars when she is in it and I didn't believe her. But she is right, other cars just seem to love to tail gate and harass it. I think they expect it to be driven by a little lady and I always get a double take when they come alongside at the lights and clock 6ft+ 15st shaven headed biffer in the driving seat. I do look bloody silly in it though!

genghispod
    Free Member

"6ft+ 15st shaven headed biffer"

For a minute there I thought you were describing your wife!
    Thank God for your last sentence.

tomzo
    Free Member

fiat punto?

convert

punto/panda/500 – all look good but I've had fiat cars for 8yrs now, so I think I might have learnt my lesson 😀

panda/500 might be a bit small.

binners

I had a fiat panda as a hire car on Holiday last year. It was without doubt the worst car I have ever driven.

You want one of these

You know you want too 🙂

Swalsey
    Free Member

Audi A2 TDI – I've got one, motorways are fine, 60+mpg, 2 bikes and loads of stuff easy, £35 road tax. Mint.

aP
    Free Member

Ford Ka often appear to be the fastest most out of control cars on the M25 after most Audis obviously.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I didn't know we had small motorways? Are these a bit like dual carrigeways?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What small motorway sensible car?’ is closed to new replies.