• This topic has 33 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by toby1.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • What Slippers?
  • jimjam
    Free Member

I’ve been nagging my wife for some years to buy me some slippers but she keeps shirking this duty on the grounds that she will buy slippers that I will be critical of (since I’m fussy and awkward).

So now, by way of a compromise she has agreed to buy me some slippers online, provided I tell her which ones to buy.

Slippers need to be toasty warm, comfortable and suitable for walking through bread, rusks, spilled milk and anything else our toddlers decide to dump on the floor but also may need to occasionally pop outside to grab some wood for the stove when I can’t be arsed putting on my shoes.

WHYG?
    😀

donks
    Free Member

Homeys,, as mentioned in the slipper thread a few days ago.

ourmaninthenorth

My first pair as an adult* arrived yesterday: Camper Wabi. Seem to do all you require (ie be a pair of shoes one wears indoors!).

*last pair were the moccasins we all wanted at prep school so we could practise moonwalking on the polished lino floor (it was the 80s).

jimjam
    Free Member

donks – Member

Homeys,, as mentioned in the slipper thread a few days ago.

Oh god I haven’t have I? My fault for not being on the forum every day I guess. Profuse apologies.

bruneep

I use a cheap pair of trainers as indoor slippers, I can’t bring myself to wear checked fluffy slippers yet.

ontor
    Free Member

I wear my old hut booties – like these:

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

IDK about you, but if I wear synthetic ones my feet reek in about 5 minutes.

So not them. Unless you’re really into cheese.

chakaping
    Free Member

OK, I’m gonna recommend what I’ve got because they are the best slippers I’ve had for years…

M&S herringbone jobs

Oops, only 8 or 12 left.

Pieface

Brown cord Dunlop ones from Brantano or similar, paid about £7 for them

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

What did David Niven wear?

househusband

Deeply, deeply unfashionable – but how’s about Crocs with the washable liners? They don’t have as many holes as other Crocs so not as much dignity and self-respect will be able to leak out though…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I wear £2.49 Aldi gardening clogs round the house, namely because I bought them on a whim and then realised I don’t have a garden.

kudos100
    Free Member

These are the best slippers in the world.

http://www.celticandco.co.uk/footwear/mens-footwear/slippers-1902/mens-slipper/

I got given some as a present and have worn them almost everyday for 2 years. They are sheepskin lined and don’t smell at all after having bare feet in them for hundreds of hours.

The idea of spending 60 quid on a pair of slippers would have been ludicrous to me, but now I have owned a pair, I will replace them when they wear out. They are that good.

sadmadalan

Shepherd slippers. All four of us have them in different styles colours. Warm, wear well, hard sole. Not cheap at £60, but we only buy this one.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I like the look of these

I can’t justify £70, but if your a size ten then at £35 they may be worth a punt.

frackit
    Free Member

The North Face Tent Boots are my preferred footwear – they look odd, but are toasty and can deal with both indoor and outdoor excursions, including sprinting down the road after the Postman

al1982
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered some of these Birkenstock amsterdam clogs , should be here in a few days!

MrSmith
    Free Member

mahabis. Purely to offend others on STW with their pretentious PR waffle and outrageous cost.

pealy
    Free Member

Anyone thinking of ordering from shoon – see post from 2unfit2ride – there’s a voucher code for free delivery “SHOON1A”. They’re having a sale! I got some Romika slippers for £17.50 delivered, not nearly as nice as the Haflingers but more my kind of price..

Yak

+1 for the crocs with detachable washable furry liner.
    Forget appearance – these meet the brief perfectly and are warm and comfy. When foot stench is apparent to others, you wash the liner and everyone is happy again.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What did David Niven wear?

Nothing on this thread so far.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

MrSmith, thanks for saving me from being accused of astroturfing 😉

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

As a matter or tradition now, I get a new pair of Coolers every Christmas. I think they come from TK Maxx each time, about a tenner. I think they can be found all over the place and you can also get em on ebay.

I’m rocking the ‘tan’ ones as I type this. Last year’s were ‘brown’ but you know, sometimes change is good and all that.

They do have an actual sole, which for my money is a must.

Best indoor footwear evar.

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Northface traction mules are blooming ace

jambalaya
    Free Member

Church’s. I have two pairs each over 20 years old, cheap on a per day basis if not in terms of upfront purchase price.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

For anyone still looking, the ones I linked to are back in stock in sizes 10 & 11, also North face nuptse half price at JL.

Cheers.

jools182
    Free Member

This is stw. Has no one had some ‘commissioned’ by an artisan?

Those North Face at John Lewis are a bargain

chewkw
    Free Member

ontor – Member

I wear my old hut booties – like these:

Good call. I like.

😀

bigG
    Free Member

+1 for sheepskin slippers like the ones from celtic and co, for extra niche go harris tweed / sheepskin. I did, they are awesomely toasty.

CountZero

For summer I wear a pair of Aldi/Lidl Croc-analogues and for winter a pair of years-old Merryl Winter Mocs, the soles of which have worn pretty smooth, but are dead comfy and snug in colder weather.
    When they still had grippy soles I used to wear them everywhere.
    Just had a quick look, and Merryl still do something similar:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Merrell-Mens-Jungle-Moc-Slippers/dp/B003LVZOKQ
    Actually, Karrimor do a very similar shoe for £16: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Karrimor-Everyday-Slippery-Surfaces-Footwear/dp/B00NC1F298/
    Looks like a bargain.

burko73

My wife got me some of these for Xmas two yrs ago. They’ve lasted really well and are going strong despite our old, rough wooden floors in our house and trips outside to get wood in ( when it’s dry). Super comfy and warm and as they’re sheepskin inside they don’t smell. They have a sole on the bottom as well. Excellent. I’ll get another pair. Slippers usually last me no longer than a yr.

noltae
    Free Member

Don’t want my slippers to have too rigid a sole – the foxing on said slipper would compromise chilling duties whilst spread out on upholstery – I’m on my second pair of Billabongs – Surfing gives you cold feet – Surf brands do nice toastie booties/slippers..

globalti
    Free Member

Haflingers are excellent but they only last about ten years before the soles separate from the uppers. Terrible.

toby1

I’ve got Camper Wabis and they are the bestest thing I’ve had in a long time. Quite toasty when doing stuff around the house though!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘What Slippers?’ is closed to new replies.