Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • What sized chimney liner…confused ??
  • brack
    Free Member

We are in the process of having our chimneys rebuilt and we were thinking of lining the chimney with a liner so that if in future months we decide to install a log burner…we are all ready.

The builder can supply and fit but has asked us ..’ what size flue/ liner to get?’

– 5 inch or 6 inch ?

As we don’t yet have the stove what is the best option ??

Very confused

martinhutch

I would fit six, I guess, as you can’t step down in size from a bit outlet to a smaller liner, but you can go up, although it may compromise the performance of some stoves.

Are you sure you can’t take a look around and choose a stove now, even if you don’t need to make the purchase?

At the same time, take a look at Part J of the building regs – you may need additional ventilation and there are specific hearth materials/dimensions to note.

Presumably, you’re getting building regs approval for the chimney work – if you get the burner sorted completely now, you may be able to get both signed off without putting in an additional building notice, saving a little bit of cash.

If you get it sorted now, you’ll be toasty this winter…

Oh, and you also need to specify the grade of liner depending on whether it’s definitely logs only or multifuel.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

6″ liner, get the better grade, the difference isn’t a massive factor in cost of stove install IME.

TheBrick
    Free Member

6″. I’m looking into this atm and I seem to remeber somthign about defra aproved stoves only for 5″, I may be mis remembering though.

globalti
    Free Member

If you get a decent flue built you really don’t need the expense of a liner. A nice smooth brick or clay flue will create that rising column of hot gases that makes the stove draw air and ventilates the room so effectively.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘What sized chimney liner…confused ??’ is closed to new replies.