Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • What size turkey for five?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Just wondering, usually we have a mahoosive thing then throw half of it away as it’s too dry….

Mrs Coolhandluke wants a 12lb bird, I think 8lbs is more than enough, with all the other stuff at Christmas and that.

wwaswas

650 lb – it makes the Christmas dinner really come alive.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

😀

ElShalimo

Depends if you want to have dinner, turkey sandwiches for late supper and then more for Boxing Day curry or salad cold cuts.
    My Mum used to get a 20lb bird but it would feed 5 hungry souls for 3 or 4 days

winston_dog
    Free Member

8lbs would be plenty for 5 “normal” people and would probably leave some for sarnies. 5 of me on the other hand – wouldn’t be much left….

Some say 0.5kg per person.

mattrgee
    Free Member

8lb is plenty. With all the other stuff the quantity of turkey that each person eats is actually quite small. I’ve cooked dinner for the last 4 years for 6 people and always found a 9lb turkey to be plenty for dinner, with leftovers for sandwiches and cold cuts on boxing day. So 8lb for 5 is spot on.

logical
    Free Member

Large Goose

mogrim

8lb is plenty. With all the other stuff the quantity of turkey that each person eats is actually quite small. I’ve cooked dinner for the last 4 years for 6 people and always found a 9lb turkey to be plenty for dinner, with leftovers for sandwiches and cold cuts on boxing day. So 8lb for 5 is spot on.

For various reasons I’ve never actually cooked a full turkey roast Xmas lunch, this year is the year… 6 adults, 2 hungry kids – guessing 10lbs / 4.5kg would be enough? Any links to foolproof cooking instructions?

tk46hal
    Free Member

Turkey crown so you don’t waste as much and great left overs for the cold sandwiches for supper! 🙂

alfabus
    Free Member

Barbecue it!

did it last year, doing it again this year – t’were teh awsums 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Large Goose

Is not a unit of measurement for turkey…

freddyg
    Free Member

+1 on the Turkey crown.

Doesn’t dry out and there is no waste.

johndoh
    Free Member

Doesn’t dry out and there is no waste.

And is boring.

Half the fun of Christmas Day is picking over the bones of the turkey despite being stuffed full already…

ahwiles
    Free Member

for 5?

leg of lamb.

a chicken.

a goose.

anything but ****ing turkey – the whole point of turkey is that you can feed loads of people, it’s not actually nice.

the-muffin-man

Another vote for a Turkey Crown – unless you like a leg!

winston_dog
    Free Member

Turkey Crowns are rubbish. The reason why people don’t like turkey.

Get one of these bad boys Kelly Bronze

warton
    Free Member

For various reasons I’ve never actually cooked a full turkey roast Xmas lunch, this year is the year… 6 adults, 2 hungry kids –

Me too 😯

9 Adults
    2 teenagers
    2 kids

I have spreadsheets…

wysiwyg
    Free Member

The one on the left is a veggie dont forget

johndoh
    Free Member

I did a meal for:

Two grandparents
    Five adults
    Five children

A couple of years ago – all went well until the food went on the table and such a flood of relief went over me that I got immediately pissed on red wine 🙂

lilchris
    Free Member

errrr, I’d say, about this big!

freddyg
    Free Member

johndoh – Member

And is boring.

Levels of interestingness were not part of the original request. The OPs question was “what size turkey for five?”.

We’ve had turkey crowns for a few years now and they’re fine. The interesting stuff is what you put with it.

My personal preference would be a goose, but I’m in the minority in our house so Turkey it is.

mattrgee
    Free Member

For various reasons I’ve never actually cooked a full turkey roast Xmas lunch, this year is the year… 6 adults, 2 hungry kids – guessing 10lbs / 4.5kg would be enough? Any links to foolproof cooking instructions?

There’s lots of examples of timings to use, but without a doubt the most important thing is a digital meat thermometer. There’s lots of subjective ways to answer the questions: is it cooked and is it safe to eat, the meat thermometer answers these questions without any guess work.

Lots on Amazon.

It needs to be cooked to a minimim temperate of 165f.

I make a herby butter with dried cranberries that gets pushed between the skin of the turkey and the breast meat, then top the whole turkey in streaky bacon. The butter keeps the meat moist and add lots of flavour whilst the bacon protects the breast meat from the feirce heat of the oven.

A 4.4kg turkey took 2 hours 40 minutes last year and was very nice, fresh turkeys take far less so I’m told.

mogrim

There’s lots of examples of timings to use, but without a doubt the most important thing is a digital meat thermometer. There’s lots of subjective ways to answer the questions: is it cooked and is it safe to eat, the meat thermometer answers these questions without any guess work.

Lots on Amazon.

It needs to be cooked to a minimim temperate of 165f.

I make a herby butter with dried cranberries that gets pushed between the skin of the turkey and the breast meat, then top the whole turkey in streaky bacon. The butter keeps the meat moist and add lots of flavour whilst the bacon protects the breast meat from the feirce heat of the oven.

A 4.4kg turkey took 2 hours 40 minutes last year and was very nice, fresh turkeys take far less so I’m told.

Cheers mattrgee, and another kitchen gadget! Yay!

corroded
    Free Member

What about a capon? Sort of straddles the big chicken / small turkey line.

Meat thermometers are actually quite useful for cooking big birds (though I’m usually against such things; another top tip is to make sure the turkey is at room temperature before it goes in.

mogrim

What about a capon? Sort of straddles the big chicken / small turkey line.

TBH I’m slightly concerned about the availability of whole turkeys in Spain, now you’re just complicating matters further!

winston_dog
    Free Member

What about a capon?

True capons are illegal in the UK. They are castrated male birds.

I am not sure why it is illegal to castrate chickens when we castrate other farm animals?

I have had large fresh chickens at Christmas, which were described as capons but they I think they were just large bred chickens. Taste excellent, so I would imagine those traditional Spanish ones would be even better.

mogrim
    anagallis_arvensis

Is a cown just a turkey with the legs and wings removed?

Sandwich

The crown is just the breast meat, may have some bone attached.

Rscott
    Free Member

How bigs your oven?

How much other stuff do you want in it?

Oven size – Other stuff = size of turkey that fills the space.

Drac

I find it no harder to cook for loads than a few it’s just a case of extra stuff or an extra side dead easy.

Oh and it’s beef in this house with a freerange chucked and a ham.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Mrs Coolhandluke just told me she ordered the 12lb Turkey a few weeks ago!

Now betting we throw 4lb of it away or get sick if Turkey left overs before New Year

Coyote
    Free Member

What’s a chucked?

z1ppy

Mogrim try Hestons method , not one of his outlandish methods, but worked great for us last christmas, & I cook roast chicken using a similar method (available online), brining 1st is the main key & doesn’t produce an over salted bird (as you might expect).

& get a baster like this (another useful gadget) not only do I baster under the skin with it but I also inject the hot oil into the bird to assure moistness

Luke, freeze the damned stuff & make it into a pie at a later date (Jamie has a recipe online that works well, just make proper pie with his filling – not a casserole with a lid, as per his recipe)

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘What size turkey for five?’ is closed to new replies.