Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What SIze Steel Kona (cinder cone / lava dome 1993 ish era) for me – I'm 5ft 8
  • stowaway
    Free Member

I am thinking of getting an old steel frame Kona Conder cone or Lava dome for my BF – We are same Height.

I already have a way too big one – that I u se as a hack bike…

I need to get one that fits – but don’t know what size frame to get for me my BF?

What size do you think?

clubber
    Free Member

16″ probably. Reckon 18″ would be too big. 17″ might be ok

Just going from memory of the old Konas.

stowaway
    Free Member

Cool! Thanks!!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Aye 16″ would be spot on.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’m a shade under 5′ 10″ and used to have an 18″ explosif of that era. Fitted me pretty much perfectly.

pitduck
    Free Member

16 🙂

bigdawg
    Free Member

im 5ft7 – my 17” is a perfect fit.

woodsman
    Free Member

No no no don’t get a 16”. Kona’s have a protruding seat tube of about 70mm above the top tube which is about 2″ more than modern steel frames, it would equate to more like a 14/15” in modern sizes (seat tube is measured centre bb to top of seat tube). An 18 will be spot on certainly not a shade too big. 5′ 8” here and an 18 Cindercone ’95 is spot on. BTW my gf is 5′ 2″ and she rides a 16”!

They don’t do 17”!

Might be better to go over to Retrobike forum and get some solid advice. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes, Woodsman +1000!

I have had 3 of them. I’m exactly 5’8″ and the third 18in (1992) Cindercone is in my garage right now. 18in is perfect!

Try and get a shortish stem though. Stems of the time were 120mm ish, but I found a 100mm Velocity and it’s spot on! 🙂

jimster
    Free Member

I am thinking of getting an old steel frame Kona Conder cone or Lava dome for my BF

Can I be your BF? 😉

I’d be inclined to go with an 18inch, I’m 5ft 11 and used to ride a 19inch – as Woodsman said, they had a very compressed main triangle with a long seat tube.

Sweet handling bike, gutted when mine died.

bigdawg
    Free Member

They don’t do 17”!

Might be better to go over to Retrobike forum and get some solid advice.

they def made 17” frames Ive got two of them – one being an orig hei hei… check out the uploaded kona brochures on retrobike, they show 17” frames..

stowaway
    Free Member

Gosh 🙂
    Well – thank you all for all the really useful info…

@ Peterpoddy
    I agree about the long stem thing.. stem was soooo long – on my Lava dome the original velocity stem is about 15cm I think.. I couldn’t find a short velocity stem for it – I replaced it with the help of a friend for something that sort of works.. – but I don’t ride it off road.. (And I do still have the original stem to put back on
    my lavadome – if/when I ever pass her on).

If anyone has a quill type – 100 or 90 mm stem?? I’d be soo interested!

@ Woodsman and Jimster and muppet wrangler and bigdawg – I think I need to be trying a 17 or 18 frame then… There are a few on Ebay

@ Jimster – sorry I am replete on the BF front.. and would like it to stay that way for now.. but nice to be asked..

@anotherdeadhero thanks for setting me on the road to my retro bikeness by selling me your lavadome 😉 I use here every day for work and have since I bought her..

woodsman
    Free Member

Yep you’re right on the 17” frames in the catalogue, just never ever seen one – yet! I’d love a 94/95 hei hei…..

If you get one come along to the Retrobike National Series ride end of Oct. I’m leading the Surrey Hills ride (event not race). I’ll be on an 18” Cindercone!

Enjoy – both of you! 🙂

user-removed
    Free Member

If you / your BF can’t live with the crazy-long Velocity stem, do what I did – go to Halfords and buy a quill stem adaptor for a tenner – then you can use whatever modern sticky-uppy stem you like.

It’s totally changed the ride on my old Kona Hahahahahhaannna (for the better) and despite the nay-sayers, it hasn’t snapped / ovalised the head-tube / killed me yet, despite some rough stuff.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

@ stowaway – I didn’t realise it was you !

As you know, the lavadome is a 18″ and I have my 16″ explosif too. I’m 5’10” with long legs, the 18″ konas are a good fit for me in a trad XC kinda way, the 16″ is too small really, but I kinda like it like that. For someone 5’8″, I’d def suggest a 16″ to get the best out of that legendary geo.

You can borrow the 16″ singlespeed again if you want to try it.

Remind me: were the ’94 konas 1″ or 1.125″? They were pretty early adopters, but I have a fairly short 1″ quill somwhere.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What SIze Steel Kona (cinder cone / lava dome 1993 ish era) for me – I'm 5ft 8’ is closed to new replies.