• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by wl.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What size Orange Five? 26er
  • craig24
    Free Member

Currently riding a small 16″ Giant Trance 2013. Top tube 560mm and stand over 724mm. It’s just big enough, standard seatpost had to be replaced as minimum insertion was about 1cm below where I needed it. Feels ok downhill but to small when climbing.

I’ve been looking for an Orange Five frame of a similar year to replace it with, I’ve ridden a 17″ and that felt good, definitely bigger than my Trance but I’m struggling to find one for sale at a decent price. Unlike 16″ frames that seem a lot more available.

My question is would a 16″ be bigger than my Trance? The top tube appears longer 557mm, but effective – 582 but stand over is shorter 716mm. Do I work of effective I take it?

I’m 5ft8 btw.

falkirk-mark

I am 5’9″ and have a 16″ five and find it just right can get saddle high enough for sitting and low enough for steep descents. Dunno anything about a trance

dirtydog
    Free Member

2009 Large Trance feels similar to my medium 18″ 2011 Orange five (very similar to 17″ apart from seat tube). Purely going off that, I would say a 16″ Five would feel more roomy than your 16″ Trance unless the Trance got longer between 2009 and 2013.

legend
    Free Member

5’9″ here, had a 16″, felt it was too short and switched to 17″ which feels much better. OTOH my 5’5″ wife thinks the 16″ is bang on for her

votchy
    Free Member

5’10” here with 31″ inside leg and ride 18″ 2007 5, feels just right to me, bought it to replace my medium Giant NRS from 2003.

craig24
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Still not quite sure then. Anyone else?

nwill1
    Free Member

I’m 5’9″ and I like a smaller bike but wouldn’t want smaller than my 17″. As you may be aware the 17″ had the same TT and reach as the 18″ with just a shorter seat tube. I’d personally think the 16″ would be a bit short but from memory the older Traces were very short in the TT!?

nwill1
    Free Member

Just to add the 17″ user to be rarer than the 16″ and 18″ but there seems to be a lot more avaliable now as people move to bigger wheels. There is an Orange Riders group on FB could always ask on there, there is a lot of buying and selling on there offen cheap to.

craig24
    Free Member

Thanks! Does sound like my original thoughts of a 17″ is really the way to go. Don’t have Facebook 🙁

flashinthepan
    Free Member

My son (about 5′ 7″) had a 16″. Was quite cramped and too small for him

He’s now got an 18″ which is much better.

craig24
    Free Member

Thanks flashinthepan, confirmed my thoughts then. I’ll keep posting in the wanted on here and searching eBay.

Del

conversely i ride a 17 2013 five @ just over 5:10. let’s me get a decent length dropper post in ( 150 lev ).

chrisdeve
    Free Member

I am a man-mountain at 5’4″. I ride a 2013 26″ Five. I wouldn’t want it to be any shorter in length.

craig24
    Free Member

What size do you ride chrisdeve?

wl
    Free Member

I’m 5′ 10″ and rode a 17″ 2013 Five with 50mm stem. Fit was great (I like bikes slightly on the small side if anything) and the bike itself was mint – great fun, incredibly versatile.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What size Orange Five? 26er’ is closed to new replies.