Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What size for a Scandal 29er?
  • happymtbfr
    Free Member

Hi,
    First post here! 🙂
    I am considering buying a Scandal 29er frame but I am not sure what size fits me best. Let me explain: I am 5’9″ which correspond to a 16″ frame or bottom range of an 18″. Then when looking at inseam length, I am 32″ which is a clear 18″ to me.
    From that we could say that 18″ is a safe option, but I have an Inbred 26er in size 18″ which I find quite long but made it work for me with a short stem (40 mm). I always wondered if a 16″ Inbred would have been better for me and since both the Inbred 26er and the Scandal 29er have the same effective top tube I am in doubt again!
    I tend to prefer the 16″ for its low standover but I am afraid of getting problem with toe overlap, specially considering that I use flat pedals only.
    I would appreciate any advice.
    Regards, Etienne

druidh
    Free Member

FWIW, I rode a 16″ and I’m 5’7″. It certainly never felt too big.

fluffykittens
    Free Member

I’m 5’9″ with a 31″ inseam and have happily ridden Mr Fluffykittens’ 18″ Scandal, which probably had an 80mm or 90mm stem on it.

Having ridden an 18″ C456 all summer (has same effective top tube, about 1″ less standover) if I personally was going to get a Scandal then I’d definitely go for the 18″ version.

happymtbfr
    Free Member

Mr Fluffykittens, did you had any issue with the standover height?
    Singletracks are pretty technical here and I want to be able to put me feet on the floor in an emergency without hurting myself…
    /E

tazzymtb

I’ve owned 16″ and 18″ scandal 29ers, depends how you like your bike set up. The standover on the 18″ is fine as like all on-ones it’s quite dropped.

h4muf
    Free Member

5 11 here on a 19.5. Fits great.

zippykona

I have 30″ inseams and need a 400 mm post on a 16″. 6 footers have ridden it and said it fitted perfect. If you go 16 just budget for a longer post.

happymtbfr
    Free Member

Thanks a lot for the replies!
    It seems that both frames would fit which is good but does not make the choice easier! 😉
    Is there any tendency of toe overlap on the small 16″ frame?
    /E

nuke

5’9″ with 32″ ish inseam here. Just received a 16″ Scandal 29er. Loving the super raw finish of it…lots of ‘character’ to the frame already!

Came from a 16″ carbon 456 so it’s actually the shorter effective TT of the 16″ Scandal that has me a little worried but we’ll see. TBH hadn’t given much consideration to toe overlap, never was a problem on my previous Inbred 29er but that was a 18″ 😕 Maybe one of their anglesets would help if its an issue.

nbt

Another here at 5’9″ with 32″ inseam. 16″ scandal 29er fits beautifully

ScandAl by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

nuke

Nice nbt! I did wonder whether the 29er wheels would look a bit big on the 16″ frame but that looks good.

Better go and build mine up.

jay69
    Free Member

Scandal is top of my list of ‘must-tries’ for a potential 29 addition. Really some really useful info in this post.

nuke

I think it’s a bit of a bargain at £210.

Oh and fwiw, my 16″ V2 frame weighs in at a very respectable 1716g

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I think it depends what your going to use the bike for.

Im 5’8.5″ – 5’9″ with a 32″/33″ inseam. (I think fairly long legs ? and short trunk ?)

Generally I like a bike in 17″. Although I have a feeling womens bike might fit me better ? 🙂

I have a scandal 29er in 18″ but I plan to use it as a pure XC machine, maybe even short bits of road/cross. I also wanted some room to possibly put a frame bag one day.

I’ve rode it round the chase and it handled every thing well especially the climbs, but in comparison to some of my other bikes it feels big. Its not so great for jumps/air I think thats a bit the wheels and a bit the size.

If you want more of a pure XC machine I would think about the 18″ but if you want more chuck ability maybe a 16″ ? Although I have to say at 5’9″ I find my 26″ more fun for jumpy type trails (ie llandegla).

happymtbfr
    Free Member

Thanks again for the feedback!
    nbt’s bike is really good looking! I was considering a raw but I might change my mind…
    A 16″ would be just the ticket as I want a more playful bike.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What size for a Scandal 29er?’ is closed to new replies.