• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by bland.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What size Fat Thin chainring for 29er
  • bland

What am i best going for in your experience?

Riding will be XC on a 29er, local stuff which is forest ST, up and down but no big long climbs, running an 11-36 casette.

Im sure i have a 32 on my full sus 26″ so am i best getting a 30t?

theotherjonv

If you want broadly the same gearing as on your 26er, then yes. Unless you can find a 29T somewhere.

Or stay with a 32T and HTFU? (or do what i did, get a 32T, and also a 40T rear extender in case you need it, just expands the range slightly)

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I heard real men use a 34t oval…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dvatcmark
    Free Member

I use a 34 with 36 11 cassette.

Takes a bit of grunt up the steep stuff but it gives you enough top end for faster bits, tarmac etc

rOcKeTdOg

30 here for off road, if it’s very flat or theres a lot of tarmac between trails go 32

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I’d go 30. I’ve got a 28 on mine at the moment, though only because you can’t get a 30 oval on a 104BCD crank. Long term I’ll either get some cranks I can run a 30 on, or upgrade to 11 speed 12-42 XT and run a 32 front.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Answers to these questions are always broadly similar. “I ride flat and xc, ##bigring”, or “I haul up mountains and ride steep ##smallring”.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Oh and I haul up mountains and ride steep

snorkelsucker
    Free Member

If you’re riding somewhere with decent gradients then anything more than a 34 (assuming an 11-36 out back) is going to be hard going for most folk.

Also, the wheel size difference comes into account so if you’re running a 32T on your 26″ bike then you’ll likely need a 30T to be the same equivelant ratios (give or take).

I live and ride in North Wales, so a typical 15mile ride would have anything between 500-900m of climbing. A very fit friend runs a 32 x 11-36 (26″) and I know they certainly wouldn’t want to change to a 34T. If you have to fit a 34T or 36T as you need more speed for tarmac then it can’t be that steep where you ride. I’ve certainly never ridden down a trail thinking I need a higher gear than 32-36!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Just for balance I ride a 28T with an 11 – 36 around Derbyshire – so very steep, but relatively short hills. I wouldn’t want anything lower. Could probably manage a 30T, but on the basis I don’t miss the higher end of the range it’s nice to have it in the lower end for those very technical rocky climbs where you want a low gear to get up steps and big rocks where you need a quick instant burst. I’ve not done the sums myself but I had read that a 28T is roughly equivalent to a 31T on a 26er.

bland

Ill get a 30t discussion closed, cheers guys

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Unless you can find a 29T somewhere.

ummmmmmm

bland

We had a discussion not long ago one night when out regarding the chain getting out of sync, he just couldnt grasp it at all bless him, concluded on “it could happen, lets just keep our fingers crossed it dont!”

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What size Fat Thin chainring for 29er’ is closed to new replies.