Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What size cone spanner(s) do I need to service a 6-Bolt XT hub?
  • poppa
    Free Member

…and where can I get them from!

CRC would be brilliant, as I could still (possibly) get them by tomorrow…

Thanks guys!

Jay
    Free Member

15 & 17mm if i remember correctly.

X-Tools Spanners @ £3 each

hazeii
    Free Member

15mm and 17mm (Park SCW-15 and SCW-17). Helps to have a pair of each (plus an extra hand 🙂 ) when tightening up.

poppa
    Free Member

Thanks guys!

I also did a bit of ferreting myself and found this:

http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/3318

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

some old imperial ones and a file for mine.

10000 times easier if you can put the axel in a vice, either that of mil grips on one end and hold them between your knees.

lodger

I needed an 18mm for the rear – it's a couple of years old though – M756 i think. Only need it for one side though as you can brace the lock nut with something else and you only have to undo one side to slide axle out.

poppa
    Free Member

I noticed my cones were loose today when changing a tyre – I have finger tightened them which is totally wrong, but will they be safe to ride on for a fast 2hr blast?

hazeii
    Free Member

Yeah, I've ridden long distances like that – they're not going to go anywhere if the QR's done up properly! Obviously you'll notice a bit of slop at the rim. It does seem a couple of years back that the nuts weren't tight enough from new, and often came loose on new hubs as a result.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What size cone spanner(s) do I need to service a 6-Bolt XT hub?’ is closed to new replies.