Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • what size backpack for 1-2 night wild camp?
  • boblo
    Free Member

@Whitestone you’re just showing off, I bet you’ve got that new fangled dehydrated water and everything… 🙂

epicyclo

Reading about weights of packs brings a wry smile to my face.

My mates used to smirk about the stuff I carried up the hills. My “what are you taking that for?” tent and bag was in great demand when we were caught out and had to overnight at 2,000 feet in a whiteout blizzard at the tail end of summer, and we had to take turns at the sleeping bag. Most miserable cold night I can remember.

Every year experienced* outdoor people die stupid deaths in the Scottish mountains, and for all I know the high ground in England wouldn’t be much different.

*experienced as in “the weather hasn’t killed us yet, so let’s take less gear”.

tjagain

Looks like we will be on some of the route and crossing it a few times – our route is somewhat meandering not a direct line and is not set in stone.

TJs jelly baby dispensing facility will be available to all. If you see a middleage couple wandering along pretending to be hobbits it probably will be us.

scotroutes

Every year experienced outdoor people die stupid deaths in the Scottish mountains, and for all I know the high ground in England wouldn’t be much different.

Probably exhausting themselves carrying too much unnecessary tat.

aracer
    Free Member

cite

I can think of reports of inexperienced people dying, partly through lack of kit (though mostly from the reports I’ve seen, knowledge and experience would have allowed them to survive with the kit they had). I’ve also seen plenty of reports of experienced people dying in situations where lack of kit wasn’t an issue. Not quite sure what you’re suggesting though.

I actually tend to carry more than many/most when in the hills, but then I carry what I’d need to survive a night out, not what I’d need to sleep in comfort (assuming a day trip – clearly if doing a planned overnight I’d aim to have at least a little comfort). A bothy bag is now a routine carry for me – though on a day trip that will be in a 12L pack which if doing a solo trip in the hills I’ll normally fill.

whitestone
    Free Member

I bet you’ve got that new fangled dehydrated water

Ssssch! 😉

Not everything I’m taking is the lightest, I’ve gone for heavier items where they perform better. There’s also quite a bit of redundancy in case some items get trashed.

TJ – be careful where you camp – some night owls and early birds around 😆

myti
    Free Member

Enjoying this thread as planning a 2 day South downs hike with wild camp myself. Anyone got the MONTANE Ultra Tour 40 Multi-Day Trail Pack? Would this work for a bit of bike packing too? Not got any bike frame bags and don’t intend to as it’s not really my thing but might be nice to join friends on the odd overnighter.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

and we had to take turns at the sleeping bag. Most miserable cold night I can remember.

I’ve done similar stuff like that over the years, hateful at the time, but you laugh about it afterwards, call it character building, but don’t ever do it again.

Regarding stoves, I like to maintain some control, I can’t see me ever descending into the culinary depravity of a drilled out coke can. A spider gas stove with some kitchen foil is as far as I go. maybe some sort of micro jet boil thing, but they always look likely to fall over with a pan on.

Spin
    Free Member

Just remembered this thread. My bag was bang on 4.5kg for the LAMM at the weekend including all my food but no water. Tent and stove etc split between me and my partner.

And there was no safety compromise imo. I had dry leggings, an extra top and a synthetic jacket for the campsite.

whitestone
    Free Member

Well I happened to meet TJ and his wife whilst crossing Fisherfield last week, just before the forecast bad weather hit. Had a quick chat and then had to get moving as I wanted to be beyond Kinlochewe that night.

I had more than enough clothing and kit for all the conditions met during the event.

piemonster

Just had my new chair arrive – a 75g saving.

I’m not sure I’ve ever met someone that takes an actual chair multi day hiking. Fair do’s I guess!

Spin
    Free Member

If it’s one of the Thermarest chairs then they’re pretty light and surprisingly comfortable. I took one on a long bike tour last summer and it was the hit of the trip, my wife was very jealous!

BadlyWiredDog

maybe some sort of micro jet boil thing, but they always look likely to fall over with a pan on.

The secret to remotely stable canister-top stoves is to use one of the little clip-on trivet things that sits on the base of the gas canister. The JetBoil stoves come with neat little foldable plastic ones, but I like the metal MSR one.

The answer to the OP is that it depends on your kit and most obviously how small a sleeping bag and a tent/shelter and mat you have in particular, which is kind of obvious, but unavoidably the case.

Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘what size backpack for 1-2 night wild camp?’ is closed to new replies.