• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What SIM for short UK visit?
  • WillH

Hi folks,

My wife is having to fly back to the UK at short notice due to a family emergency. We’ve been away for a while and have no idea what’s what with UK mobiles, PAYG etc.

Can anyone recommend a reasonable SIM deal? She’ll be there for 2-4 weeks probably, and will need to keep in touch with various family members (also in UK) while she’s there. So mostly texting I imagine, with the odd phone call, and possibly some small data use.

I assume pay as you go would be best, but if anyone has any recommendations it would be much appreciated, so she doesn’t have to spend time shopping around. Or are they all much of a muchness these days?

Cheers.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just done o2, ten quid for a month with more calls and texts than I can use. No hassle registering it which I did with orange ee last time. Top up from a shop.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Tescos do cheap handsets and PAYG sims (£10/£15). Not sure about coverage but a quick google should give you a bit more info.

nickjb
    Free Member

All much the same. £10 for a month is pretty standard. Just nip into a phone shop and pick one up. Tesco might be easiest.

WillH

Cool, good to know. Thanks all.

Killer
    Free Member

giff gaff. use the link in here:
    for a free £5 credit as well
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/payg-sim

stumpy01

Giff Gaff seem pretty good, as do Three mobile.

As above, if she needs a handset places like Tesco do cheap ones and their SIM deal seems OK too.

iolo
    Free Member

O2 coverage is bloody awful in the UK. I’m stuck with them until my contract runs out. Check before you get one. Tesco and giffgaff use O2.

ampthill

3 is

3p a minute
    2p a text
    1p a Mb

If that helps

peterfile
    Free Member

I have a giffgaff sim that I activated recently and now don’t need. I’ve topped it up with £10 which is good for another few weeks I think.

Email me if you’d like it for your wife, no charge.

EDIT: I’ve just realised that it’s a gigabag I topped up with, so data only 🙁 She’s still welcome to it though! She would need to add a call bundle which starts at £5.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

giffgaff worked really well for us over the summer. Cheap and have a good package.

WillH

Cheers for the replies, hadn’t thought about coverage. Assumed it was all good for most places these days.

Peterfile – cheers for the offer. She’ll be staying with her brother so I’ll ask him what the O2 coverage is like near his place first.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What SIM for short UK visit?’ is closed to new replies.