Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What show to see at a London theatre?
  • SilentSparky
    Free Member

Never been to see a show, so have no idea what to watch. It’s our 10yr anniversary next month and theatre is one of our idea’s.

EDIT: & any hotel recommendations in the general area…

jet26
    Free Member

Lion king very good. As is wicked – not my choice (her indoors) but was very enjoyable. Both are at the light hearted end of the spectrum so depends what your tastes are I guess…

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Yeah just something light hearted, watch a show grab a meal and stay over…

philconsequence
    Free Member

les miserables

philconsequence
    Free Member

ahhh sorry, you posted the lighthearted bit 6 seconds before i went in with the aptly titled ‘the miserables’ 😆

stumpy01

Chicago & Jersey Boys are both good.

If you don’t mind what you see, get along to the tkts booth in Leicester Sq, early on in the day & grab a bargain.

riiich
    Free Member

I get dragged along to these all too often for my liking, however Avenue Q is my favourite.

rewski
    Free Member

Chariots of Fire?

TBH – I’d rather got to a nice restaurant, cocktails and back to a nice hotel.

will
    Free Member

Jersey Boys & Lion King are both really good!

theotherjonv

Not a musical.

I ****ing hate musicals. I don’t know why, and with a wife and two daughters who love them, i suspect in another few years when they’re old enough to want to go to see shows in London, I’ll be dragged along to hate them even more.

Go and see a proper play. War Horse, Midsummer Night’s Dream, 39 Steps, etc.

jambalaya
    Free Member

If you’ve never been then Phantom of the Opera, still the best.

That is of course based upon you enjoying musicals, generally the Mrs likes them and as it’s your anniversary then something biased towards her will hopefully pay some dividends.

FWIW I’m booking Via Forever for my daughters (in their 20s), that’s the new spice girls one which should be a riot – for them. The Original Abba themed Mama Mia is a laugh and I’ve friends who love We Will Rock You.

If you want other theatre you could try One Man Two Guvnors for comedy, or at the Old Vic “Hedda Gaber” which has got very good reviews (Old Vic is where Kevin Spacey is the artistic director – next to Waterloo Station so not quite a ritzy location as West End)

EDIT: Warhorse as suggested above, that’s a good recommendation

johndoh
    Free Member

For some real fun – Reduced Shakespeare Company – the complete works in 2 hours 🙂

Phantom, Les Mis – both good. We Will Rock You, okay but not amazing.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sorry can’t help myself with this story ….

I have a good mate, single. He’s seen Phantom more than 10 times, in his view it’s a “banker” date – he claims it never fails, he always get’s laid 😀

domtastic
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of Women in Black, much better than the film

kilo

Went to see One man two guvnors recently, not expecting to enjoy it and it was hilarious

zippykona

I only ever go and see The 39 Steps. I can’t stand the theatre but I like that.

chakaping
    Free Member

If Avenue Q is still on then I’d recommend that too, very enjoyable.

ourmaninthenorth

Never been to see a show, so have no idea what to watch. It’s our 10yr anniversary next month and theatre is one of our idea’s.

Skip the musical dross, and go to see a play. Try Three Sisters at the Young Vic. Chekhov is ace.

Oh, it’s a wedding anniversary. In which case, since it’s really your wife’s anniversary, best stick to something mindless and musical (sic). And take some earplugs.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What show to see at a London theatre?’ is closed to new replies.