Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • what should I wear? posh restaurant content…..
  • theotherjonv

Lucky me, I’ve been gifted lunch at Le Gavroche for some work I did a while ago.

Dress code is quite formal, obvious stuff like no shorts or trainers, and men must wear jackets. It also says that smart jeans with a jacket are OK.

Obvious choice is to wear a suit, but the issue is that I currently only have one (lost too much weight and my others don’t fit) and it’s not a cheap suit. And I’m making a bit of a day of it so don’t want to be out in my best suit for 15 hours with potential for it to get covered in beer later.

I’ll admit, I’m a bit nervous as while I’m looking forward to it I am also a bit intimidated by the idea of Michelin 2* formal dining, so don’t want to stand out for the wrong reasons – i can accept ‘ooh, he looks smart’ but not the other way round. Anyone been, any comment?

wallop

Nothing a bit of dry cleaning won’t fix.

You’ll feel uncomfortable if you wear anything else.

Lucky you – I’d love to go to Le Gavroche!

theotherjonv

I’m really looking forward to it. But nervous too. Is that odd… I’m perfectly au fait with how to behave and which knife for what, but I still find it slightly intimidating. Especially if scary Monica is on duty!

dantsw13

Definitely a suit. It’ll be full of corporates in suits, so anything else will look out of place.

My missus has been, and still raves about it. The service is very good – understated, not at all snooty French waiter style.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Wear the suit

Relax – they are serving you

Enjoy – the food will be delicious

No one is judging you, so why judge yourself? It’s your treat, make the most of it.

theotherjonv

OK – tie, or open necked?

dantsw13

I thought it was compulsory tie there? You can always take it off. Much harder if you don’t have one!

theotherjonv

Do you have a dress code for the restaurant?
    Our dress code is smart casual, however we do require gentlemen to wear a smart jacket for lunch and dinner. Ties are optional, smart jeans are allowed and strictly no trainers or shorts

zippykona

I once went to a place in my chinos, striped shirt and jacket. As we walked in I noticed that EVERY man was dressed the same.
    They gave me the once over and a casual nod that I was welcome amongst them.

kcal

sports jacket and very smart jeans maybe. if in suit, slightly casual style, could get away without a tie. maybe.

LHS
    Free Member

Been a couple of times, you will be fine in either a suit or as they say smart jeans, nice button down shirt and a jacket with shoes.

Enjoy.

BillMC

You’re out for a day, throw a jacket over whatever you will feel comfortable in. If you’re a bit apprehensive, the last thing you should do is dress up like a best man at a wedding as that will make you look and feel outside of your comfort zone. Relax and you will enjoy it more.
    Ages ago I got given a champagne dinner for two at the Dorchester, the only people smartly dressed were the waiters.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Badly fitting overlong jeans with superfluous pockets, a slightly baggy pink shirt tucked in so I puffs out like a muffin top, jacket also badly fitting and with the bottom button done up,all finished off with black work shoes that are slightly pointy and turned up at the ends and a bit scuffed.

It’s a popular look.

binners

Dress code is quite formal, obvious stuff like no shorts or trainers, and men must wear jackets. It also says that smart jeans with a jacket are OK.

Let Jezza be your guide….

binners

Or ask yourself…. what would Alan do…..

Jamie
    Free Member

Just sort your hair out, and you’ll be fine.

slowoldman

There’s no need to be formal these days. A nice velvet jacket and bow tie will be fine.

peterfile
    Free Member

Badly fitting overlong jeans with superfluous pockets, a slightly baggy pink shirt tucked in so I puffs out like a muffin top, jacket also badly fitting and with the bottom button done up,all finished off with black work shoes that are slightly pointy and turned up at the ends and a bit scuffed.

+1

ahaahaha, so true!

binners

Go bright, casual, and don’t forget to accessorise…..

Jamie
    Free Member

Go bright, casual, and don’t forget to accessorise…..

Not sure if the OP will fit in that dress.

footflaps

sports jacket

WTF is a sports jacket when it’s at home?

Jamie
    Free Member

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I’ve been lucky enough to go to a few Michelin starred restaurants and I’d just do the suit thing tbh. Always better over dressed than under dressed.

As for being nervous, get over yourself, I found the staff to be very helpful and nice at these places and if you go in clearly there for a treat, i.e. this is special for you they’ll look after you.

I went to Enoteca Pinchiorri in Florence – 3 Michelin stars which was just amazing. I explained to the Sommelier it was a treat and we had no idea how to match a wine to the meal, he smiled and said, wonderful let me give you a different wine to match every course -there was like 8 courses- and he was bang on with every course. He loved it, loved showing us each wine and how it would go with a dish. The only glass we didn’t like was Crystal champagne, too flowery… ha, he let us finish it then replaced it with a different champagne, perfect, no charge, haha. These guys are just humans, very good at what they do but still just humans. Imagine them in their underwear… always a problem if shes a pretty lady! 😉

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve been lucky enough to go to a few Michelin starred restaurants

It’s not really luck though is it? You just call up, make a booking and then show up at the restaurant at the appropriate time.

Don’t feel like you have to apologise for spending cash on nice food…this is STW after all 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Why would you want to put yourself in a situation where you are nervous just for eating?

I’d rather go to a local burger bar or curry house and enjoy myself than go somewhere that made me feel nervous (not that eating somewhere ‘posh’ makes me nervous – in fact I have always been very underwhelmed by them).

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

It’s not really luck though is it? You just call up, make a booking and then show up at the restaurant at the appropriate time.

The luck involved is the luck enough to be able to afford to pay the bill! 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Don’t feel like you have to apologise for spending cash on nice food…this is STW after all

*puts down Gregg’s pasty*

U wot m8?

peterfile
    Free Member

The luck involved is the luck enough to be able to afford to pay the bill!

Luck is having someone else pay the bill.

There aren’t many people who couldn’t get enough cash together to pay a restaurant bill…whether that was the best use of their funds is a different story!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

There aren’t many people who couldn’t get enough cash together to pay a restaurant bill…whether that was the best use of their funds is a different story!

Its my money and I’ll spend it how I like thank you. Luckily the OP is having it gifted, lucky man.

peterfile
    Free Member

Lol, I wasn’t having a dig ti_pin_man! I ate in Patrick Guilbaud last week 🙂

theotherjonv

I’m not paying. It was a thank you for some work. I’m also inclined that I’d have preferred to take my family out 3 times instead, but as a gift I feel obliged to accept.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Luck is having someone else pay the bill.

My brother’s other half works in television production – specifically food shows. When they went to La Gavroche for his birthday, Michel Roux Jr. popped out and said that he’d cover the bill.

Jammy swines.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

OP, my brother has eaten in some very fancy places thanks to work. Le Gavroche is the one he has picked out above all others that he would spend his own money in. And part of that is because how good the staff are at making sure you are enjoying the experience. So relax and enjoy.

binners

DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!!!!!

BigDummy
    Free Member

I went to a job interview this week, wearing brown boots, a pair of jeans, a multi-coloured striped shirt and a blue jacket. It was pretty much the outfit I’d wear t go to lunch at a posh restaurant. The people interviewing me were in suits. It was fine, I looked great.

🙂

digga
    Free Member

binners – Member
    DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!!!!!

O/T Why is it that egos have such existential angst?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Been fortunate enough to be dined at Le Gavroche a few times wearing ‘smart but not quite Mr Smith approved’ shirt, jacket & trousers and didn’t feel out of place at all.
    Always found “proper posh” restaurants to be far more welcoming and helpful than “trying to be posh” establishments.
    Go, enjoy, have fun 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Well if you must wear a jacket that should be your starting point, if a suit is your best / smartest jacket then wear that. If it’s a weekday lunch most people will be work related so there will be other suits. You don’t have to wear a tie.

Very few restaurants still have a dress code, I would call and double check.

Relax and have a good time, the days of surly waitors in these sort of places is long gone, they are there to ensure you have a great experience. Don’t be afraid to ask about the menu and choices in fact I’d encourage you to do so. If they have a tasting menu (and that’s in your “deal”) then take that. If you want explain this is a gift/prize and your first time at a 2-star and you are really excited and nervous and I guaranty you they will make even more of an effort.

Make sure you post us an update. Bonne degustation (the upmarket version of bonne appetite 😉 )

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Went for tea at the Ritz once, went in my suit, it was summer and hot, so I made the mistake of taking my jacket off and putting it on the back of the chair, a waiter gently/quietly pointed out my error. hahaha.

johndoh
    Free Member

Again – why the *%$£ would you want to eat somewhere that tells you to put your jacket back on despite it being hot.

Pass me a McMeal

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘what should I wear? posh restaurant content…..’ is closed to new replies.