• This topic has 34 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Euro.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • What should I learn to do in 2011
  • Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Every year I set myself a challenge to learn to do something new. In the past they have been to skydive, track day, etc. The idea normally comes to me during the course of the year but this year nothing!

So I throw myself to the STW collective, what have you enjoyed learning to do in the past, in fact any ideas at all?

BB

GW
    Free Member

self-filate?

legend
    Free Member

self-filate?

that’s a challenge for some people??

😉

Flash
    Free Member

Make bread

IanMunro
    Free Member

Basket weaving.

seanoc
    Free Member

Speak Welsh?

john_drummer
    Free Member

play a musical instrument (or speak a foreign language) of your choice

spokebloke
    Free Member

Put a question mark at the end of sentences that require them.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Wine tasting.

I’m self taught. I really enjoyed teaching myself too.

Anyone can do it. You just have to remember what you like and keep discovering and remembering.

Sometimes that’s hard and I’ve forgotten some wonderful wines but have at least got the opportunity to rediscover them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my 2011 thing to learn is – welding …….

i bought a landrover the other week and although needs very little atm – i see its guaranteed it will need it in the future !

DavidB
    Free Member

Giving? helping others?

trailertrash

punctuate? 8)

pancake
    Free Member

Car mechanics or the drums 🙂

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

now that i’ve nearly learn to ski, i plan to be able to ski most of a blue run backwards by the end of the season.

whether it’ll happen or not is another matter!

Northwind

I want to learn how to mig weld actual welds, not just awful birds**t tacking that’s about as strong as superglue (I weld stuff then take it to someone who’s not rubbish. So you could learn that then teach me?

sharki
    Free Member

scuba

Digger90
    Free Member

Northwind and Trailrat..

I learned proper welding at evening classes at a local college near me. I did a proper qualification in it and learned a heck of a lot.. Mig welding, Arc, welding, Gas welding, brazing, steel fabrication etc – all very very useful. Even bought my own Mig setup and Plasma cutter.

Thing is with welding – a lot of people can show you how to do it, but achieving a proper weld i.e. deep penetration with ultimate strength requires knowledge and a lot of practice. What can look like a good weld isn’t necessarily strong.

Thoroughly recommend doing a proper set of classes – and gaining an extra qualification in the process gave me quite a little lift (OK, it’s nothing to write home about, but at least I can claim I’m a ‘qualified welder’!) 🙂

hh45
    Free Member

Learn a language. In fact I may have a go myself but unsure whether to go for French that I know the most of already, Spanish that is easiest or Italian because I love the country so much.

Tango-Man
    Free Member

Fly Casting, as in Fly Fishing, learn to cast over 80ft

Hairychested
    Free Member

Water polo? Shoe design? Make-up?
    Who says it has to be practical?

epicyclo

Bagpipes.

Never seen a bagpiper pay for a drink yet.

Also seem to be babe magnets.

🙂

Northwind

“What can look like a good weld isn’t necessarily strong.”

Ah, but luckily, what looks like a s**t weld is usually s**t, making it easy to tell when it’s one of mine :mrgreen:

samuri
    Free Member

I found out a short while back that an old friend of mine who does travel a lot for his job, can speak fluent Arabic, Italian, French, German, Spanish and Greek. And when I knew him when we were aged 22, he could only speak English.

I’m very jealous. I can get by in French and do basic stuff in German and Spanish but that’s about it. I sturggle massively trying to learn languages. I’ve done courses and subscribed to newsgroups and listened to French radio when driving to work and all sorts of stuff like that and I really find it very hard indeed.

That’s what I’d do.

KT1973
    Free Member

You could meet women off the net for sex using an alias amd see how long you can live the lie.

donsimon
    Free Member

You could meet women off the net for sex using an alias amd see how long you can live the lie.

So does this mean I’m not the only one doing this?

hels
    Free Member

Welding. Phwoar. I love the smell of testosterone in the morning !

Keep away from these namby pamby learn a language/basket weaving metrosexuals. How about joining a local trail building group ?? Learn a new skill, make something proper with manly tools and you will definitely go to heaven at the end with all those karma points.

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Thanks all, some good suggestions there.

Thing is I already run an annual charity event, I am a qualified welder (or was, a long time ago) and I am rubbish at languages!

I quite like the idea of learning to sea-kayak but I live in Norfolk so it means a lot of travelling to get anywhere worthy of a paddle.

I’m spending a lot of time with my camera lately, maybe I should learn to use that properly (dslr) or learn to use photoshop? Anyone know of any good courses/qualifications?

Please keep the ideas coming.

BB

allthegear
    Free Member

You live in Norfolk? How about windsufing, then? They do it out of Hunstanton, I believe.

Rachel (in Kings Lynn)

cynic-al
    Free Member

I like drawing, try that. or just look at your local council’s evening classes.

Northwind are you in Edinburgh? Telford does good evening classes.

trailertrash

Welding. Phwoar. I love the smell of testosterone in the morning !

Keep away from these namby pamby learn a language/basket weaving metrosexuals. How about joining a local trail building group ?? Learn a new skill, make something proper with manly tools and you will definitely go to heaven at the end with all those karma points.

Aye that’s what chicks say they want, but then we have to do the whole “curling up on the couch with a bottle of wine and a dv frickin’ d” shizzle instead. shoot me now. the combination of death.

DavidB
    Free Member

I quite like the idea of learning to sea-kayak but I live in Norfolk so it means a lot of travelling to get anywhere worthy of a paddle.

I live in Swindon. Probably the furthest from the sea possible. But I take my sea kayak on the local canals and rivers for practise. Gwan gwan gwan.

trailertrash

aren’t the norfolk broads quite good for watersports?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I want to land a 360 onto dirt. Managed a 180toCrash this year before the summer ended, must try harder!

Welding is top of the list too.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

bb you could do the Open University course on Digital Photography.

Euro
    Free Member

Sign language?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘What should I learn to do in 2011’ is closed to new replies.