Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What should I do to ease my hurty arm?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Had one of those falls three weeks ago, almost stationary clipped in and fell on my elbow and shoulder.
    It aches like hell typing, or pinching my fingers, I can’t shake hands or even lift half a pint. Yet I can ride all day on it. Rode hard yesterday, but couldn’t lift my hand to my face.
    Ice? tablets? what to ease it?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

What does the doctor say?

ampthill

If that was attached to my body I’be at the ICE clinic at the end of my road to see Nick for a diagnosis. Its an important bit of kit my body and well worth the £40 quid to know where I stand

oldgit
    Free Member

What does the doctor say?

You and your modern fangled ideas. I’m assuming it’s just to put it technically ‘a bit hurt’.
    Painful along the top of my forearm.
    Thought the more regular fallers might know what to do just to take the edge off it.

DrP

It aches like hell typing, or pinching my fingers, I can’t shake hands or even lift half a pint

Is it painful at the elbow area when you do this? Sounds a bit like the ligament insertion point is a ‘bit hurty’, kind of like a tennis elbow. As long as you can fully straighten the elbow, it’s unlikely to be broken.

Pain relief, ICE etc, and rest are usually useful options. However, 3 weeks down the line I’d be getting a non-urgent GP appt for a clinical exam/finger up the bum etc etc.

Of course, nil of what I say can be taken as fact, or used to be helpful (pretty much the same attitude I receive when I’m actually at work. We doctors get it wrong roughly 90-110% of the time….)

DrP

bikebouy
    Free Member

Use the other arm? 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

It is a bit painful on the pointy bit of the elbow, but I can straighten it right out no problem, and I can support myself on it.

Any manipulation of the hand seem to make it hurt, like an old fashioned dead arm. But is it about 3 -5 weeks for knocks to heal up? avoided one for so long I can’t remember.

choppersquad
    Free Member

There must be some sort of app where an American army officer will shout at you for ten minutes telling you to stop being a pussy and MTFU? Not sure if that would help the pain though.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Genuine question, but what use would a finger up the bum be in diagnosing this problem?

Philby

Have had something similar happen a couple of times to my forearm / elbow – agony in some positions or doing some tasks but fine in others. First time it was tendonitis and some simple exercises and anti-inflammatories got rid of it. Second time finger also went numb and it was diagnosed as something wrong with my neck and shoulder – again a few simple physio exercises sorted it. So get down to your GP and get a physio referral or cough up some cash for a decent private physio.

Sandwich

Genuine question, but what use would a finger up the bum be in diagnosing this problem?

The doc need some incentive.

binners

wanmankylung
    Free Member

My money would be on a bit of nerve damage in your upper arm or shoulder. Chances are it’ll sort itself out reasonably quickly. Just keep trying to move it and it’ll get stronger again.

sputnik
    Free Member

To ease the pain, don’t type, pinch your fingers , shake hands or lift a pint.
    Sorted

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What should I do to ease my hurty arm?’ is closed to new replies.