Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • What should I do about my neighbour?
  • jekkyl

10 thousand!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

There’s a heterosexual man down our street. He has indecent pictures of women. I’m worried that he may have surrepticiously taken pictures of my wife (she’s a woman).

You know these people are expert manipulators and he may be homosexual and taking pictures of YOU. In which case, I’d suggest you get out the weights and start pumping iron, after all if nudie pics of you are going to be circulated, you want to be looking your best

wwaswas

BigButSlimmerBloke – I think the opportunity for ‘it could be you’ type humour has passed on this thread… turns out to be a retired teacher, pleads guilty to downloading 10000 images of which 3000 are Category A.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    perchypanther
    Free Member

I think the opportunity for ‘it could be you’ type humour has passed on this thread…

In his defence, I am no position to have a go at anyone about the deployment of innappropriate humour on threads of a more serious nature….

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah turns out Perchy’s fears weren’t unfounded. Nasty business.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Starting point for possession is 1 year, range is 26 weeks to 3 years. There is no non-custodial option for Cat A images.

The 1 year is before mitigation (early plea) and aggravation (volume of images) and other factors.

Ref: http://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/publications/item/sexual-offences-definitive-guideline/

perchypanther
    Free Member

Assume the guidelines are broadly the same for Scotland?

edlong
    Free Member

A couple of technical questions:

What is “Category A”? Last I recall from news reports of similar seemed to be a number based one – 1 being least serious and 5 or similar being the nastiest. I might have misremberised some or all of that though, am I talking rubbish?

re. “no non-custodial option” – where would a suspended prison sentence fit in with that – does that count as “custodial”? I would guess it does since it is a custodial sentence, just one that isn’t being implemented immediately, but IANAL..

councilof10
    Free Member

I’ve not read the whole thread, but I was in a very similar position a few years back. I’d just exchanged contracts on a new house when I saw in the paper that the next door neighbour (a very charming 70-year old man who I’d met when viewing the property) had been charged with similar things.

He stood trial and got 2 years in prison. He was out after a year and moved back in – his wife stood by him and they still live next door.

When I first found out, my gut instinct was to pull out of the purchase, even though it was too late. My 2 brothers had small children (I didn’t) so I spoke to them about their concerns. My elder brother said “better to have a known paedo next door than an unknown paedo”.

When he first got out, I vented my anger at him, told him what I thought and neither made myself feel any better or portrayed myself in a particularly good light.

For the past 3 years, he’s very much kept himself to himself, we don’t speak and I never hear a sound out of them. Pretty much the best neighbours I’ve ever had in some respects!

He gets regular visits from various probation workers and will be on the Sex Offenders Register for the rest of his life.

He recently had a leg amputated, so I’m hoping he’s at the right end of a slippery slope that means he won’t be around much longer.

What offends me most is that in his defense, he claimed not to have any personal interest in the images (many of which were the worst classification and new born babies) but that he was selling them to others to make money.

Personally, while I find him and his crimes abhorrent, I’m slightly reassured that it was only online offenses that he committed – there was never any suggestion that he directly assaulted any children himself.

I guess what he suffers from is a compulsion – if they outlawed pictures of busty brunettes of child-bearing age performing naked yoga, I’m not sure I’d be able to resist searching if you sat me down in front of a computer with a broadband connection! The internet simply puts another layer of temptation in front of these people, and whilst he probably spent a lifetime resisting the urge to harm children himself, it presented a conduit for his cravings that allowed him to distance himself from what he perceived to be the actual crime.

So take reassurance from the fact that he’s been convicted. Take reassurance from the fact that he’s not assaulted anyone, especially your family. And if he ever comes back home, be confident that his every move is being monitored – you wouldn’t be able to say that if you had an unknown paedo next door.

Best of luck…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I hope the fear he must now be living in is sufficient punishment

It really isn’t.

wwaswas

It really isn’t.

hence:

but given what he likely had images of I’m not sure anything could be.

Cougar

Take reassurance from the fact that he’s not assaulted anyone

… that we know of.

I do try to give people the benefit of the doubt (which is why half of you lot aren’t banned 🙂 ) and was arguing earlier on the thread that because this guy’s got some pictures it means he’s wired up wrong but that doesn’t mean he’s actually abused anyone. We can’t control our attractions, be that busty brunettes doing naked yoga, members of the same sex, trees, or children. There’s a world of difference between a paedophile and an active paedophile, the former needs pity and support, the latter needs castration. For all we knew he was viewing these pictures to keep his urges under control and as distasteful as that may be it’s potentially better than him not doing that and finding another outlet.

But.

He’s a retired teacher.

I know I’m jumping to conclusions and I’m sorry, but I don’t believe for a moment that that’s the career choice of someone who wants to keep their little problem under control and not put anyone else at risk. I will be amazed if there’s not more to this case than his photo album.

kilo

Cat A is penetrative sexual activity, sexual activities with an animal or sadism. It’s called the Oliver levels and replaced the old grading system. 3000 cat A is quite a lot.

…if he ever comes back home, be confident that his every move is being monitored

Not so sure on that, he will be subject to regular visits and some control if he’s on an order but every move – no.

perchypanther
    Free Member

…if he ever comes back home, be confident that his every move is being monitored

Given that his house backs on to the police station, this might actually turn out to be the case.

theotherjonv

I’m busty, brunette, broadly of the age profile you describe and as per other threads have just started yoga.

Where do you want these photos sent?

Serious – used to be welfare officer at my cricket club and the paedophile you need to worry about is the one you don’t know about. Which statistically is likely to a parent, relative, or person you trust. Good that this guy is likely to be taken out of harm’s way, and if he does return that he is a/ known and b/ likely to be watched for the rest of his life. But also remember this is a sickness, rather than an out and out choice, and he needs protection from himself as much as society needs protecting from him.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Images are classified in categories A to C. A is the really nasty stuff and 3000 images is a lot.

Any sentence under 2 years can be suspended at the discretion of the court, but there will be all sorts of conditions on that and he can be subject to orders restricting what he can do. Banning use of computers or making his history available to police are the sort of things that can be enforced.

Take reassurance from the fact that he’s not assaulted anyone

No, he had other people do the assaulting while he watched. That’s so much better.

Looking at images is not harmless and is not victimless. The children in those images are real kids and they were sexually abused for this guy’s pleasure.

councilof10
    Free Member

No, he had other people do the assaulting while he watched. That’s so much better.

I thought I made the point pretty clear, but I’ll reiterate it for your benefit grumpy, I said it allowed him to distance himself from what HE PERCEIVED to be the actual crime.

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘What should I do about my neighbour?’ is closed to new replies.