Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • What should I do?
  • monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Bike sat in the cupboard,tyres a bit flat and my motivation to do much about it is low.Not been on it for six months and now don’t no where to start.Maybe tomorrow I,ll go crazy and do 30 miles on it.Kind of kill or cure.Help

simondbarnes

Go crazy and do 30 miles on it 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

You always enjoy it once you are out. Always! 🙂

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Any time my motivation to ride is low (and the weather’s good), the best thing to do is just force it and ride – 5 minutes down the road and the joy of riding a bike returns.

When the weather’s bad – nuts to that! That’s when beer and box sets win out..

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Sorry for moaning,just feel a bit fat,depressed and flat.I never feel good after a ling winter.

prawny

I couldn’t be arsed this morning after a heavy commute week but i dragged myself out and had a great time. Do it, we don’t get many weekends like this.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I’ll just leave this here..

zanelad
    Free Member

I find the hardest part is to get up off my arse and get kitted up. Once I do so the urge to ride is always there.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Maybe a new bike is the answer.

mildbore

Good idea. Tell yourself you can have a new bike if you prove to yourself you’ll use it by riding tomorrow. Take plenty water and take it easy or you’ll cook and suffer though

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Good idea mb.Its only 17C here,so I shouldn’t boil to much.I,m not exactly organised or prepared,however.

globalti
    Free Member

Do something different – hire a nice light road bike and go for a pootle.

belugabob
    Free Member

One word – bluebells.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Ride Bluebells,that should be fun.

paton
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz4v0zHfGk8[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGPexYdV3a0[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXoXgUobMb0[/video]

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Thanks Guys,I,ve pumped up my tyres/shocks and oiled my chain.I,ll try and get out tomorrow even if its just for a couple of hours.Its that or going round the twist.MY NEXT HOUSE WILL NOT BE A NEW BUILD.Neil

paton
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf7pO7tiVLk[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLy9tWJrZJk[/video]

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Thanks paton,I,ll try to get moving.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

…I,ll try to get moving.

shermer75
    Free Member

Go where the seagulls are poking your head

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DiCGkzwW_S8[/video]

cookeaa

I wish the only thing stopping me from riding today was feeling a bit meh…

Just pump up your tyres and go for a quick trundle, even if it’s a short one via the pub. It’s a sunny day, you’ll feel 1000% happier for it… Honest

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I wish the only thing stopping me from riding today was feeling a bit meh…

+100. This is my second consecutive summer of injury-induced non-riding. It’s all I can think about on a day like today. It’s all I can think about on a shite day tbh. But that’s the way of things, you miss stuff when you don’t have it. When you do have it, meh creeps in. Avoid meh. Meh is worse than meh

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

One hour in.What I,ve learnt so far.
    1)Cycling against the wind on your first ride of the year is not easy.
    2) Winter weight training is not a perfect way to build cycling fitness.
    3)I,m becoming a miserable old Kant
    4)Cycle home should be good.
    Thanks for your advice.I think I,m starting to feel spirits lifting.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Got out Friday after work, today and I’m out tomorrow.

Wall to wall blue skies help, but frankly anything other than sub 5c and ark building rain is enough for me.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I,m home.I did 24km in the end in 2 hours(I know).Averaged only 12km an hour but used 1400 Calories.Or at least that’s what Endomondo ses.
    It’s going to be a long hard slog back to fitness.

mildbore

Yeah but you got out, that’s the hard part done. Now keep it up!

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Thanks mb.I think ill do some stretches and go for a walk later.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Still not convinced a new bike is the answer though.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Sounds like this one is beyond curing!

I’d not worry about speed or numbers if you’ve not ridden for 6 months. Just do rides you think you’ll enjoy, then if you do them enough fitness will start coming back. 12km/h sounds pretty respectable to me!

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Thanks mb,I think I might if gone a bit quicker if I hadn’t been pedalling into a strong breeze.On the other hand the ride was mainly flat.So yeh,more practice needed.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Forgot to mention,this first rude was done on my 35lb Carrera Banshee X.Hence my thinking about getting a new bike.
    Should I do some stretches or is rest enough for a good recovery?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

monkeycmonkeydo – Member

Get out.

jambalaya
    Free Member

If you’ve done nothing excersize wise for 6 months then yes streches before amd after and ideally find a few mins every day. Sadly I am well awre at my age (54) unless I prepare for excersize after any sort of lay off I will pick up niggles which then take an age to go away.

prawny

A new bike is always the answer, you’re just not asking the right questions.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I,m 54 also jb and I no what you mean about getting little niggling injuries.I have done a little bit of weight training throughout the winter.Without that I think I would still be in bed.I really must do more stretches though.

Northwind

I’ve always found it really useful to keep everything ready- don’t leave the bike with something needing done, keep my riding kit packed in a bag or sat ready to use, so I can just go right- bike time- go, not right-bike time- oh but I need to fix that thing… Even little inconveniences can be enough to turn riding into not, if you let it.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Main result of my first ride of the year is a sore bum.That and heavy legged feeling

joebristol

You need to man up!!

I’m on the recovery path from my shoulder op in September and I’m struggling to find the time to bike full stop due to my 15 week old daughter. I grab any opportunity that comes up with both hands.

Having to supplement cycling with gym training as it’s easier to fit a quick 45 mins of that in then a few hours cycling. Killing me swing the sunny weather and being able to make the most of it.

On the other hand I’m going to smash as many weights as I can this summer and see what I can achieve. Maybe it’ll make me better downhill on the bike with more power and strength?

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Thanks for your compassionate contribution.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I’ve not rode my bike since August 2016, I did spend two weeks riding round Rhodes in glorious sunshine though. Then when I came back in October I fractured my 4/5th metatarsal spent 8 weeks not riding then winter crept in and I just couldn’t motivate myself.
    Planned to get going again in March, that didn’t happen.
    But looking through pictures of last year it’s reigniting the buzz to get out again. I’m off from Friday and plan some small rides Friday and Saturday get me back into it.
    Feel really unfit now so gonna start with a canal ride and work up to longer rides.
    Don’t know if I should get my full suss out or hardtail which is a lot lighter out for my first ride.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘What should I do?’ is closed to new replies.