Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • what should i consider that's similar to a bfe?
  • iridebikes
    Free Member

As above, I’m looking at having just one mtb that can do everything, instead of a jump bike and an xc bike. The BFE seems to tick every box, its not a bad weight, it has chain guide tabs, and is steel. It will be built to be lightish, but strong as i do like to get my wheels of the air and im not talking about a foot, but big doubles etc. But i dont like alot of travel on hardtails, so it will be run with a max of 130mm travel, but to be honest most of the time it will be 115-120.

So what else is there that i should consider? Ive looked at dialed and genesis’s offerings, but they dont seem quitw what i’m after.

CHeers, Andy

colournoise

Having just built a BFe up for exactly this type of do-it-all HT I’d ask why look beyond it if you want a steel toughnut. Maybe the Stanton Slackline should be in the frame too though as their site says it will be happy down at 120mm?

(my XS gritstone BFe running 150mm – the chain is usually round the coggy stuff at the back rather than dangling uselessly from the bars).

slainte 😀 rob

iridebikes
    Free Member

yeah i think ill almost definitely buy one, just nice to see if there are any other suggestons. What size frame is that, how is it for climbing etc for you?

iridebikes
    Free Member

ah just seen the size, I’d buy a small frame as i dont think i’d get a long enough seatpost for the xs frame being 5ft 10

iridebikes
    Free Member

that sanderson looks pretty nice, but i cant seem to find out how much they cost?

iridebikes
    Free Member

cheers, Just noticed it has no chainguide tabs which i a pretty important thing for me

colournoise

iridebikes – Member
    ah just seen the size, I’d buy a small frame as i dont think i’d get a long enough seatpost for the xs frame being 5ft 10

Yeah – I’m only 5’6″ so Paul at Cotic recommended the XS (14.5″) even though the S (16″) was the same size as the Identiti Mr Hyde the BFe replaces.

I reckon he was spot on – it feels about the same length as my old bike (same seatpost and stem) but actually climbs a bit better even though it has a shorter rear end and slacker angles. I guess the seat tube angle puts the weight in a better place?

Mine isn’t light (30lb – most of that in the wheels I reckon) but feels lighter than that if you know what I mean?

slainte 😀 rob

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a BFe, I wanted a hardtail which will offer chuckable fun but still capable of long natural xc rides. Build will have 150 or 140 adjustable forks. I have an old Giant Reign with 160mm fork which is great fun pointed down but not ideal for 50k rides in Wales/Peak/Lakes. I will take both bikes to Alps in summer where I’m doing a mix of stuff imc some pedalling up.

I looked at Ragley Pig, Piglet and One One 456. I thought a lot about a Dialed Alpine and then decided to pre-order the Prince Albert Classic frame which I will use in late summer to make a comparison. Clearly different bike to BFe, perhaps closer to a Soul.

alexpalacefan

456 Evo has got to be worth a look.

APF

Euro
    Free Member

Something from NS or DMR?

float
    Free Member

i dont like alot of travel on hardtails, so it will be run with a max of 130mm travel, but to be honest most of the time it will be 115-120.

this says on one 456 summer season to me. unless you like steeper headangles.

_tom_
    Free Member

NS Surge. I found the shorter back end more fun to ride with. Plus they have the adjustable/swappable dropouts so you can singlespeed or hub gear easier if you fancy it. Designed for forks anywhere between 120-180mm though I think over 140 on a ht is a bit excessive. Think they’re a tiny bit heavier than the BFe though if that sort of thing bothers you. The Surge is £50 cheaper than a BFe and I’ll probably get one when I’ve decided what I’m doing with my full sus!

iridebikes
    Free Member

I’ve looked at the surge, and the 456, but they are both really heavy right? iseem to remember the surge is over 6 pounds, and from memory 456’s weigh a ton?

ska-49
    Free Member

Kingdom Foia V2 if you have cash to burn.
    I absolutely love mine.

Something more reasonable would be the stanton slackline, one 456 evo or SS.

Kuco

456’s weigh a ton?

A Bfe weighs about the same as a 456.

Northwind

456 is about half a pound more than a BFe, size for size. Or at least the ones I weighed were. Summerseason heavier still. Not too bad considering the price difference

Not really sure the 456 geo (either standard or SS or Evo) will suit as well though- mine is pretty nice but it does feel a bit long and cumbersome in the air. Never really gelled with my old BFe but it felt an awful lot nicer for jumping- one of the few bikes I ever really liked jumping on in fact (I kinda suck 😉 )

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah I think the Surge is just over 6lbs, not sure whether I’d notice a pound difference on a bike but I guess it all adds up if the rest of the stuff is heavy built as well.

Kuco

IIRC my 16″ 456 weighed in just over 5.5lb Cotic Bfe for 16″ say 5.4lb

Tempted for a Bfe myself as I find my 456 a bit to big.

messiah
    Free Member

I didn’t get the bfe I borrowed. With a big fork the bottom bracket was too high and the seat angle too slack, with a shorter fork it was just a solid feeling xc/trail hardtail. I don’t see an adjustable fork fixing those flaws… for the doonhalls when you want the big fork and slack head angle you get a flip/flop high bottom bracket.
    I’m now running a hardtail designed for a 160mm fork and it’s awesome…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘what should i consider that's similar to a bfe?’ is closed to new replies.