Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What should I be earning?
  • lunge

Morning all,

It is fast approaching salary review time at my company and I was wondering if I could ask for some ideas as to what someone who does what I do in other industries would be earning.

Currently I manage 10 people (sales/account management staff), I also manage and run the on going training and development for 25 people along with any new starters to the company. On top of this I run a couple of big accounts myself, working on the on going development of them and occasionally, when time allows, do some selling as well.

The company I work for is not huge and I have been there over 8 years since they were very small. I have a feeling they don’t know what to pay someone who does the above and whilst I have an idea myself I’d be grateful of any external input.

Any ideas (or indeed mickey taking) would be gratefully received.

grum
    Free Member

boblo
    Free Member

Less than a million, definitely.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chiefgrooveguru

It depends on the sector you’re in. For instance, a charity would pay a fraction of what an oil and gas company would.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

35k a year?!

HermanShake
    Free Member

You need to search for jobs of a similar position to assess what the industry standard for this level of responsibility is; additionally there will be a regional bias.

If they don’t offer you what you value yourself at, would you have the cojones to storm out and look for more? If not this may not be a useful exercise. If your salary review is annual and your responsibility remains the same as last year I imagine the growth would be the same as the typical April increase.

I’ll start: >£15k but <£50k. You’re welcome :mrgreen:

toys19
    Free Member

You just need to do a quick check on the recruitment pages online. I thought all salaried people did this at least once a week?

clubber
    Free Member

Have a look at Hudsons or similar salary guides.

lunge

The industry is sales based loosely within IT services if that helps?

br
    Free Member

Package?

You need to look at salary, bonus, allowances, cars, pensions, holiday, flexi, expenses (profit?) etc etc

Not just what you earn.

And as others said it depends on sector, but guess at total package £50k? Although I’ve seen anything from £35k to £135k.

samuri
    Free Member

Tell them you’re leaving, you’ll soon find out how much they think you’re worth. 😉

If I was to hazard a guess though, I’d say yes, roughly around £50k.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Start off by telling us what you’re on now and we’ll tell you if we think its correct. You are clearly a multi role employee, I’d be asking for £40k and a car alone for the sales element but I’d imagine your company would argue you’re not sales if you’re on £25k now and you ask for a £15k pay rise to do the same job.

One thing I’ve learned over the years is when you get yourself into this sort of situation employers think they have you by the balls. Go out into the market, get a job offer and then use it to negotiate. If they value you they’ll play ball if you don’t you have a new better paid job and a fresh challenge. Win/win

rickmeister

Have a look around here

http://www.glassdoor.com/index.htm

HTH

chakaping
    Free Member

Where are you based and how well is the firm doing?

footflaps

For any job there is probably a > 200% variation between companies, areas and industries, so there is no right answer.

In our company we have less than 10 sales people, so your role would be our Head of Sales, who is no doubt on a six figure package + large commission.

MSP

One thing I’ve learned over the years is when you get yourself into this sort of situation employers think they have you by the balls. Go out into the market, get a job offer and then use it to negotiate. If they value you they’ll play ball if you don’t you have a new better paid job and a fresh challenge. Win/win

I completely disagree with that, sure check the market to see what you might get elsewhere, but if your largely happy where you are negotiate without that immediate threat of leaving.
    If you think the grass may be greener elsewhere, then man up and leave.
    getting a job offer as a negotiating tool for the job you already have, means you will probably never get another offer from the same company again, and the company you currently work for will never be sure of your commitment.

footflaps

No amount of money will compensate for a job your hate, so if you like the one you have, that’s worth a hell of a lot….

lunge

Chakaping, based in the midlands, company is doing well, my person figures are good as well.

Others, I don’t want go leave, I like my job and my company I’d just like to earn a few more £££!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do you make them a lot of cash and will it fall down without you? If not then you will get somewhere around what they offer you.
    If you think your up for it suggest performance related bonus etc.

br
    Free Member

And most people’s earnings are usually dictated but how much they were on when they started at that company.

Junkyard
    Free Member

This is the approach I would have

your problem is if you have a done a job for much less than it was worth for the last x years and have not started moaning all the time about this then you are in quite a weak negotiating position as it is unlikely you care enough to do anything about this.
    You need to shwo them you will

I would start nicely and discuss obviously but be prepared to do this.

What is it worh as they say above huge range but sales and IT I assume ups the £ towards the higher estimates

PS do you think the owners /bosses wages have gibe up since they were small – driving nice new cars etc? If not they may not have as much as you think or just be tight

psling
    Free Member

I don’t want go leave, I like my job and my company I’d just like to earn a few more £££!

You know what your current salary package is and you must have a pretty good idea of the company’s current trading/financial position and order book/projections for the coming year.

How much more do you want and are they in a position to offer more? Arm yourself with why you think you’re worth ‘x’ amount more and ask. Salaries elsewhere are only really relevant as a bargaining tool if you’ve been offered a job elsewhere.

hels
    Free Member

It’s all about demand and supply, the only realistic/factual way of finding out what anything is worth, is selling it and establishing what somebody is prepared to pay for it.

Do you enjoy your job ? You can’t put a monetary value on that.

You need to apply for some jobs and see what you get offered. And no offence, but some people have a tendency to talk up what they do a bit…

Time to put your theories and assumptions to the test.

onewheelgood

+1 for http://www.glassdoor.com. Probably the nearest you will find to unbiased data.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What should I be earning?’ is closed to new replies.