Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What should be on my helmet short list…….?
  • MoreCashThanDash

Soon need to replace my helmet (fnarr, fnarr) and looking for tips for what to go on the “which one fits best” shortlist.

It will be used for easy wheels on the ground type riding, budget up to £100.

I’m after good coverage obviously, but also want a bug mesh in it, and a bright colour.

Seems to be an elusive combination….

darrenspink
    Free Member

Bit more than 100 (unless you spot a deal of course but smith optics?

MoreCashThanDash

Not sure I’ll find a good enough deal for one of those!

concept2

Just got one of these.. Nice adjuster screw thing at the back and i got the horrific green as the wife thought it would show up well…. Not sure about your bug mesh criteria.

Seems an improvement on my last giro and has a little more cover at the back and sides although it is supposed to be a road./ mtb combo lid. The peak lifts up and down but i have taken it off anyway as i am not keen.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/giro-xar-helmet-2015/rp-prod128420

hth
    Chris

steveoath
    Free Member

Urge enduro matic?

eulach

One that fits?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

looking for tips for what to go on the “which one fits best” shortlist.

Well, your shortlist should include ones which fit best. Which rules out the advice of almost anyone above (And below!) as they don’t know the shape of your head. You do. Go to a bike shop. Try some on. If they fit your requirements*, and more importantly, fit your head, choose the one you like, then buy it. From that shop. If that shop doesn’t have anything that fits both head, requirements and wallet, go to another and repeat the process as before.

*Despite the point re advice, your requirements make it trickier. Bug mesh helmets are few and far between, especially on better helmets, oddly. Remove the bug mesh requirement, add a Buff or twelve to your kit list and you’ll be fine.

nuke

Catlike Leaf…great helmet, well under a ton, good coverage, range of colours and has bug mesh. Love mine in red…great quality for the price

…but yes best to try before you buy: Halfords have been known to have Leafs

darrenspink
    Free Member

I thought those Smith’s had a bug screen, whats the mesh stuff then?

cynic-al
    Free Member

How could anyone here know what fits?

MoreCashThanDash

I obviously phrased the question wrong. I knew what I meant.

What should be on my shortlist, based on those criteria, to then go and see what fits best?

Are we happy now?

isitafox
    Free Member

Decathlon 540 😉

prezet
    Free Member

Doesn’t have a ‘bug mesh’ but for me the Troy Lee A1 is hands down the comfiest lid I’ve ever had.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Bluegrass Goldeneye

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

i was sold on my bushwhacker by the fit, felt amazing… but after a few rides with sweat pissing in my eyes im pretty disappointed with the venting. fortunately winter is coming….

Leku
    Free Member

POC Trabec are about £90 on line.

I wrote mine off at the start of the summer. Given the impact it took I was impressed to just have a bit of a stiff neck afterwards.

DezB
    Free Member

Bugmesh, bright colours, doesn’t look like you’ve had the top of your head sliced off and replaced (Smith), has decent vents (unlike Poc or Urge) –
    IXS Krono Evo

Not got one, but they look ok to me.

beano68
    Free Member

Cratoni Alltrack … lovely lid with various inserts and bug net Cratoni

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

The new Montaro/Montara however it’s spelt is out soon, might get the none MIPS one for under a ton

tang
    Free Member

Smith are good, I have an overtake road lid. But again it’s down to fit. I was given a LAS victory and it just rubbed in weird places.

peasant
    Free Member

I have recently replaced my urge enduro matic 1 with a specialized ambush the ventilation is like night and day ,and the ambush profile is not large like most other helmets not cheap at £120 but well worth the money

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What should be on my helmet short list…….?’ is closed to new replies.