Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What Short travel FS bike?
  • Danno72
    Free Member

Thinking about chopping in the old Orange 5 for something with shorter travel. Guess i’m looking for something that will still take a bit of a beating but will be a little better all round. Had a quick look online at the anthem and trance but can’t say they do much for me. Trek fuel 8/9 look fairly good. What have I over looked?

Kryton57

ASR-5, Spec Camber, Turner 5 spot /flux, Cube’s, probably something around the 120mm mark…

Danno72
    Free Member

Yeti are a bit out of my price range. What are the cubes like? Seen ghost bikes as well, they any good?

stevede
    Free Member

Transition Bandit is worth a look.

Kryton57
    Kryton57

stevede – Member
    Transition Bandit is worth a look.

Indeed, it was second only to my ASR5 on my list after testing 8 bikes, if I didn’t want to do race events I would have had the Bandit.

Kryton57

Or quickly say yes to this (npot shoret travel though http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/nukeproof-mega-size-large

🙂

roverpig

Can you say what it is you don’t like about the Orange? That might help to narrow it down a bit.

Northwind

Specialized Camber came highly recommended. TBH I’m not getting on with mine and it’s for the chop, but I seem to be in the minority.

NormalMan

@ OP – I am in the majority and so far loving my Camber. There are some good deals on the 26er versions (last chance to grab one as they go 29er all the way from 2013) if that is what you are after.

What budget?

@ Northwind – what aren’t you getting on with? Which model? (not having a dig – just curious really)

organic355
    Free Member

what travel?

Turner Flux?

Kryton57

@ Northwind – what aren’t you getting on with? Which model? (not having a dig – just curious really)

Me too. I didn’t get on with a Camber so wonder if NW’s issues are the same.

Kryton57

Oh and OP, go to Canyon Bikes website. There some offers on at the moment, plenty of Canyon Nerves in your price range.

andycs

Santa Cruz carbon Blur XC, Pivot Mach 4.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Santa Cruz nickel, alloy asr-5, either can be had relatively cheaply second hand.

Danno72
    Free Member

@roverpig Love the Orange and had it a while now but just fell a bit over biked for the trails I’m riding now. Admitidley I could shave some weight off the 5 (swap 36’s for 32’s, wheels and so on) but for the money I spend doing that I could get something with some more up to date features ( tappered headtube ). Only downside I’m seeing at the moment, with the Trek anyway are the price on bearing kits…£50-60? Basically looking for something lightweight but can still have fun on the tech stepp stuff now and again. Budget I’m thinking around £1600-1800 second hand.

dickie
    Free Member

Turner DW Flux with 120mm fork.
    There was a medium on the classifieds for about £650 the other day.
    Bushings no bearings, great quality frame.
    For a now £2K frame these can now be picked up cheaply & build into a a great short travel trail bike.

Northwind

Normal Man – Member

It’s a 2011 Pro. Some things it does really well but it just feels incredibly front-endy at times to me. I guess it’s just some combination of bike shape and my riding position or something but we seem incompatible basically. But the split personality means I go bowling into sections and it feels great, then suddenly it doesn’t.

wrecker
    Free Member

Specialized Camber came highly recommended. TBH I’m not getting on with mine and it’s for the chop, but I seem to be in the minority.

Dunno. It’s one of the only modern bikes I’ve ridden that I have nothing good to say about. I couldn’t wait to get off it.

Mike-E

I downsized from a Patriot to a Trance X two years ago. Took a punt on a nearly new (old shape)frame off this website. Whilst it’s not a “sexy” brand, the bike has been a revelation performance-wise(albeit with a few tweaks). In any event try before you buy?

Kryton57

Northwind – Member

Normal Man – Member

It’s a 2011 Pro. Some things it does really well but it just feels incredibly front-endy at times to me. I guess it’s just some combination of bike shape and my riding position or something but we seem incompatible basically. But the split personality means I go bowling into sections and it feels great, then suddenly it doesn’t.

Posted 33 minutes ago # wrecker – Member

Dunno. It’s one of the only modern bikes I’ve ridden that I have nothing good to say about. I couldn’t wait to get off it.

Interesting. I came away with a feeling the back end wasn’t connected to the front, as if the shock / fork were moving at odds with each other, despite fettling with pressures and rebound etc. Like you said, I couldn’t wait to get off.

Bullet

I have Ghost AMR that I bought about 6 weeks ago – 120mm travel. Came from a Hustler which I love but the Ghost is brilliant – well put together, handles lovely (sort of feels like a mini-Hustler). It just does what you want without thinking about it if you see what I mean. Try Sunset Bikes, they were really helpful.

NormalMan

Thanks for the feedback Northwind and Kryton57.

For me I like the balance of mine and the way it picks up/holds it speed. It’s my first fs so only have test rides, etc to compare but so far it ticks the boxes I needed ticking. Horses for courses and all that.

Mine is 2012 Expert btw.

Not sure the OP will rule it out after the comments but as I mentioned there are some good deals, for eg.
    http://www.freeborn.co.uk/specialized-2012-camber-expert

Kryton57

Not sure the OP will rule it out after the comments but as I mentioned there are some good deals, for eg.
    http://www.freeborn.co.uk/specialized-2012-camber-expert

He needs to test them – his experience may not be ours and he might love the Camber, for example I’ve heard people judge the ASR5 to be rubbish…. 😯

Danno72
    Free Member

Must say I’m really liking the look of the Canyon Nerve!

Bullet

I looked at the Canyon Nerve CF before going for the Ghost – have to say the UK office bloke was shockingly bad – 3 days to answer the phone then just kept saying ‘it’s on the website’ to every question.

Email to the German head office got no response either… You may have more luck however.

Hence the Ghost

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What Short travel FS bike?’ is closed to new replies.