Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What short route in & around Aviemore?
  • scruff9252

Through a twist of fate, work will be taking me to Aviemore shortly and I should be able to wangle one or two of hours out on the bike. Perhaps longer if my lights turn up before I head up.

Would the Rothemurchus estate be the best bet? As I will only have a couple of hours, I would prefer not to have to do much map / compass work as there is little margin for error time wise.

jekkyl

round loch morlich?

kcal

Plenty of tracks in Rothiemurchus which may not be a good thing – stuff like the trails round Piccadilly could mess you up!

Loch an Eilein if you can get out there would be great, singletrack round Loch Gamhna is tip top. Or head out to Lairig Ghru and back in. Other option is out past Glenmore Loge towards Ryvoan though TBH – depending on whether you can get transport out there or are under own steam – might not be worth the out and back nature.

Down to Glen Feshie another option but maybe more navigation than is desirable on a time budget. Round Badaguish is another option, little trails there very nice but hard to find, otherwise it’s fire roads in the main.

scotroutes to t’ forum. Or as in Bothy Bikes, they have some local maps for sale..

scruff9252

kcal, thanks that’s really useful, will have a wee look on google maps.

sweepy
    Free Member

Glen einach doesn’t need much navigation and is a well scenic ride. Might be tight time wise tho, and you will get wet feet.

sprocker
    Free Member

Nip in bothy bikes they gave me some good little routes

br
    Free Member

Burnside is top fun, Bothy Bikes should be able to help with directions.

Kunstler

If you could navigate with a gpx (probably too much map checking otherwise) this is a route with lots of singletrack: Loch an Eilein, Loch Gamha to the bothy, Cake or Death over to Inshriach, Inca trail then back round the lochs again and a wonderful little trail from Lochan Mor through Polchar to Inverdruie.

scotroutes

Is the Inca trail all clear?

scotroutes

This is a good shout. It’s a decent, varied trail with straightforward navigation, a great destination and should be do-able in that sort of time. The one river crossing might involve wet feet depending on water levels.

If your lights don’t turn up and you want to borrow some, let me know.

Oh – and depending on availability, I might be up for showing you around. I’m not fast but at least you’ve less chance of getting lost 🙂

Kunstler

Yep, someone’s been busy with a saw. I rode it a couple of weeks back. Wished it was a bit longer but there’s other bits of trail running of it at the top to explore another time. The forest road it drops out onto had been freshly bulldozed. I was hoping to find another track the other side of it that heads down to Loch Gamha. Seems like there should be something but I couldn’t see the start of a trail. Might just be me come to expect wonderful trails to appear out of nowhere when I’m riding there.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What short route in & around Aviemore?’ is closed to new replies.