• This topic has 26 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by boblo.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What shoes/boots for the West Highland Way?
  • menothim
    Free Member

I know a few of you do that hill walking thing – I’ve never done it, but will be doing the West Highland Way in late September in four, perhaps 5 days.

That means I need to spend lots of time on my feet in training, I guess.

I have no idea about shoes/boots – what should I be going for? I’m happy to pay to eliminate the risk of blisters as much as possible!

Recommend away…

tjagain

Whatever you find comfiest. Its mainly well surfaced paths. Hillwalkers are moving away from the old school heavy boots to something lower and lighter and like taking weight of your wheels on a bike taking weight off your footwear reduces fatigue.

waterproof boots obviously will reduce wet feet / blisters but in my case lead to very sweaty feet.

Myself I would be going for the lightest fabric boots I could find but others will prefer approach shoes / trekking shoes and others trad leather boots.

good socks as well help as do good footbeds in the footwear. also go to a podiatrist first and have your callouses removed – sheer forces in thick callouses lead to blisters – the only type I get.

Stoner
    Free Member

I do a lot of hillwalking these days. I have thee kinds of boots /shoes depending on the conditions.

When last walking in scotland in October last year I took my Scarpa XL leather boots. Properly waterproof up to the top of the tongue. Good pair of gaiters and some v expensive but superb Smartwool socks.

When walking in summer in France I use some mid height fabric upper boots (Ecco).

Approach shoes for lighter duties.

The last time I walked the WHW, I was 25 yrs ago when I was 17 with some mates. I walked in my farming boots (Bit like old Doc Martens) I ruined my feet and was in agony for the second half of the walk. Dont do that 😀

Assume wet conditions, I always favour good leather boots for waterproofing over fabric even with GTX membrane. Gaiters are great. Top quality socks a joy. I walked around the Galloway hills in soaking wet tussocks, moss and bog for 3 days without getting any moisture to my socks, and in fact stayed in the same woollen socks all three days in sublime comfort.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’d probably wear off road trainers for it. These days I only put my big boots on when there’s snow or it’s really cold.

boblo
    Free Member

Back in the day, full leather boots were recommended for ‘ankle support’ amongst other things. The WHW is largely a track but there are a few uppy downy bits and it’s rooty and mostly horrible alongside Loch Lomond. If you use approach/trail shoes (AKA ‘trainers’), go careful as you could bash a toe or turn an ankle if you bash around as you might in boots plus you’ll need to take some sacrificial socks for when your feet get wet.

I’m all for wearing trainers in the hills now but they have limitations. Obviously they can’t take a crampon (though not relevant to the WHW) and they need a bit of care in marginal conditions.

I use trainers for most of my hillwalking, leather boots for multi day when I’d prefer not to get wet feet and superlight alpine style boots for mountaineering days.

fasthaggis

I got a set of Salomon Quests last year and they have been good on my feet. I always wear two thin pairs of socks and if a blister starts I use Compeed.I noticed the last few times we were walking in Spain and Italy that people do use trail shoes a lot more.It’s nice to have boots if the weather turns wet though.

Moses

Go to a decent shop & get measured properly. I have been wearing too-large boots for years because I thought that my feet were broader than they actually are.
    It’s all in the fit.
    If you ever go down the A1 head to Altberg in Richmond, who have a huge selection of sizes and fits including some that don’t seem to be available from other manufacturers. Make a fitting reservation first.

scotroutes

Approach shoes or some of the very lightweight boots. If you are thinking of shock-absorbing insoles then make sure the shoes/boots are big enough.

matt_outandabout

Another for approach shoes or lightest boot you can.

I climb more Munro’s these days in approach shoes than boots. Even my boots are now lighter.

Stoner
    Free Member

but would you multi-day in a Scottish September in approach shoes matt?

Yes, lightweight is the most comfortable way to go if you can, but the risk of wet shoes/boots for several days with limited drying possibilities makes my soles twitch.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Reebok classics with a glass bottle of Iron Bru and a Daily Record in the back pockets of your jeans.

footflaps

Myself I would be going for the lightest fabric boots I could find but others will prefer approach shoes

I generally use GTX trail shoes with wool socks (warm when wet). I only use proper boots if I want to use crampons.

but the risk of wet shoes/boots for several days with limited drying possibilities makes my soles twitch.

I just stick mine on the radiator each night. Lightweight trainers dry much quicker than trad leather boots.

We did a three day back packing trek in rain last year in trainers…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MWTr5P]IMG_0570[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

boblo
    Free Member

The WHW is pretty organised these days. There’s accommodation all the way along it with drying facilities and lot’s of Companies shuttling people and kit to and from their last/next stops. I wouldn’t fancy that approach but it helps a lot of people get involved and deal with the normal issues/events you get on these sorts of undertakings.

For me, on multiple days where I really can’t be sure of staying dry/getting dry or carrying enough dry spares, I wear waterproof leather boots. Weekends and day walks, I just get wet. I do sometimes wear GoreTex socks on real bog trots but they’re only fully waterproof for a few weeks after which they just delay the inevitable.

Stoner
    Free Member

conditions look familiar flaps. But my feet were dry 😉

Apologies for grinning like a loon, but we were fighting 40mph+ gusts up there!

tjagain

I would probably use the middle of the range of boots I have. the high top fabric lightweight “waterproof” boots. I also have heavy leather boots and some very light mesh boots. Personally I still prefer boots to shoes.

footflaps

conditions look familiar flaps. But my feet were dry

I find with wool socks I don’t really notice damp feet. I just find trainers so much better to walk in. I used to do everything in full mountaineering plastic boots with Yeti gaiters, so have gone from one extreme to the other. Plus I nearly always walk in shorts now, which means rain runs down my shins into the shoes…

Stoner
    Free Member

rain runs down my shins into the shoes…

matt_outandabout

but would you multi-day in a Scottish September in approach shoes matt?

DofE in March, April, June and end of September (4days) last year either in Adidias Terrex swift approach shoe or my Salomon A-alps.

Off tracks I do end up back in the x-alps. On tracks the impact absorbing nature of approach shoes outweighs the drier feet and support of heavier boots IMO, plus I find my shoes dry quicker than the boots.

ransos
    Free Member

Not for me. I’m prone to turning my ankle over so need the support you get with proper leather hiking boots. I find my Meindl Burma Pros very comfortable and they last for ages (as they should given the cost!).

dragon
    Free Member

Lightweight hiking trainers here for most stuff, I can’t remember the last time I wore my hiking boots. I’d be looking at something like the Salomon X-ultra GTX (they do boot versions as well as the shoe) or another option would be the Salomon xa pro 3d gtx (just spotted the do a mid boot version of these as well). Pair with some decent wool socks, Bridgedale are always popular in the outdoor shops.

However, depsite those recommendations, at the end of the day get something that fits first and foremeost.

boblo
    Free Member

ransos – Member
    Not for me. I’m prone to turning my ankle over so need the support you get with proper leather hiking boots. I find my Meindl Burma Pros very comfortable and they last for ages (as they should given the cost!).

I have some Meindl Vakuums. Very waterproof and comfy when new but they’ve ‘worn out’ after just over 500 miles. The outer soles are falling off and the mid soles collapsing. I think the memory foam that makes them so comfy initially has also broken down as they are now much higher volume than before which means lots of black toenails.

‘Tuff’ sayeth the manufacturer so bin for the boots and never a Meindl for me again…

joshvegas
    Free Member

stevenmenmuir – Member
    Reebok classics with a glass bottle of Iron Bru and a Daily Record in the back pockets of your jeans.

Red and white striped plastic carrier bag for maximum all the gear no idea look

ransos
    Free Member

I have some Meindl Vakuums. Very waterproof and comfy when new but they’ve ‘worn out’ after just over 500 miles. The outer soles are falling off and the mid soles collapsing. I think the memory foam that makes them so comfy initially has also broken down as they are now much higher volume than before which means lots of black toenails.

The soles have recently gone on mine but they’re about 12 years old. Meindl or Lancashire Sports Repairs can fit new soles.

matt_outandabout

joshvegas – Member

stevenmenmuir – Member

Red and white striped plastic carrier bag for maximum all the gear no idea look[/quote]

matt_outandabout

Very waterproof and comfy when new but they’ve ‘worn out’ after just over 500 miles. The outer soles are falling off and the mid soles collapsing.

That is poor, especially for such an expensive boot. SOGA?

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

I wore some Inov-8 Roclite trainers last time I did it.

Generally opt for them or a lightweight inov-8 boot for 90% of hill days. As said big boots come out in the snow and deep winter.

boblo
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member
    Very waterproof and comfy when new but they’ve ‘worn out’ after just over 500 miles. The outer soles are falling off and the mid soles collapsing.

That is poor, especially for such an expensive boot. SOGA?

It’s worth considering though they are a few years old which seems to be Meindl’s get out of jail free card.

What’s really annoying is they’ve been sat in a cupboard for 3 years due to a back injury keeping me off the hills. Beware, modern materials that promise instant comfort also seems to break down spontaneously. Boots (Meindl’s at least) don’t seem to wear out anymore just fall apart from lack of interest…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What shoes/boots for the West Highland Way?’ is closed to new replies.