Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • What shoes for mountain biking in flats (calling people from scotland).
  • juan
    Free Member

As per title really, bearing in mind that byt mountain biking I don't mean around a forest, some shoes as to be fit for some bike carrying up a small bit, which saddly rule out vans like and probably 5-10 (unless you said the later are good).

mafiafish
    Free Member

I find the problem with grippy hiking soles is that there is very little feedback through the pedals and also little feel for whether you have good grip or not and where your foot is on the pedal. Merrel chamleons don't work wth flats I can tell you that. I reckon 5-10s would be alright in all but very muddy conditions in which case few shoes suitable for riding in would fare any better

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

use spds – and when walking just put up with the shoe that is uncomfortable to walk in

rs
    Free Member

just get 5-10's and don't worry about the few walking bits.

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

Not all people from Scotland live in flats! Some of them can afford their own houses! 😆

stevomcd
    Free Member

I use 5-10s for guiding in the Alps. No hassles, they're great. They're not ideal for the odd wee bit of pushing/carrying, but fine unless you're determined to walk up steep, wet grass!

soulrider
    Free Member

I use 5-10s .. when ever I ride my 5… and there are regular push/carry ups.. mostly less the 5 mins. but some longer..

if its going to be wet underfoot.. I wear seal skinz

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

I actually use my 5.10s for hill walking from time to time…i find them really comfortable and supportive.

rs
    Free Member

It should be said that the suede ones at least make a good alternative to a sponge in the rain.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Its all a compromise, flat soles are poor in mud and wet grassy stuff. Hiking boot soles don't work well with pedals.

The only thing i miss about spds is they were good for climbing up some steep slopes in.

devs
    Free Member

5:10s. OK they get wet in the worst of conditions but Sealskinz sort that out. They're not great on slippy mud or wet grass but most of the hike a bike bits aren't like that or you can hop from rock to rock with the confidence of a sure footed mountain goat!

soulrider
    Free Member

DeVs a mountain goat HAHAHAHAHHAHA

5-10's end of!

They are the mutts!

dandan
    Free Member

North face hedge hogs

matthew_h
    Free Member

Also worth hunting out some Shimano AM40s. On a par with 5-10s for grip but a better shoe I reckon.

forge197
    Free Member

use fivetens never notice them be an issue when I am pushing up they seem to grip pretty well.

chickenman

Find it best to have the day staff bring my brogues out to the Bentley, find SPDs so tiresome on the gravel….

danti

Some Skechers have a better grip than Vans/5-10s so could be worth a look.

stevious

When I ride flats I wear my Inov-8 terrocs. They're a trail-running shoes (I use them as climbing approach shoes) with a pretty low profile sole. Grip on pedals is pretty good, and they cope with LOTS of different underfoot conditions. The only time I ever feel insecure in them is running down very steep grassy slopes.

The fit on them is a bit weird so you'd have to get to a running shop to try 'em out though.

epicyclo

I use track pedals for lightness, mud clearance, and better shoe/pedal grip.

I take a pedal with me when shopping for shoes. If the lugs on the shoe fit the pedal, then it's a good one 🙂

crouch_potato
    Free Member

I like stiff spd shoes personally- decent support, lightweight and not bad edging where needs must. That's in the dry though- they're crap on smooth wet rock or grass (and smearing is rubbish) 😉 . I've also used fell shoes (inov8 etc) and skate type shoes (5-10…) on flats and would go for fell shoes over skate shoes any day if you spend any time at all walking- better grip and support [edit- of course fell shoes don't support like normal shoes, but it's subjective], cooler, faster drying…

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

Shimano AM40s – grippy, warm, comfortable and cheaper than 5:10s

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Downhillers (well, those who aren't clipped in) almost invariably use five tens. Before laying down the shred, downhillers must first push up the hill. Ergo, five tens work for walking up hills.

As mentioned, you'll need sealskinz if it's wet. Any waterproof shoe is going to compromise on grip when on the bike.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

laying down the shred

PMSL

devs
    Free Member

DeVs a mountain goat HAHAHAHAHHAHA

You cheeky monkey beej! I said the confidence of a mountain goat. Performance of the legs doing the jumping may vary!

jedi

an stiffish, grippyish bmx/skate shoe. 5-10's are too grippy and special.
    why buy a biking shoe for a bit of walking or a walking shoe for biking.

ash

5-10's all the way…grip is way forward! (however, Jedi, I can see how you might want less of it for the stuff that you do)

why buy a biking shoe for a bit of walking or a walking shoe for biking.

because in the places where Juan rides, a certain amount of carrying is required on some rides… proper mountain biking 😉

jedi

done that too 🙂

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Me Clarkes sale boots are tops.Not an expensive rip-off.

ash

done that too

well there's your question answered then… big old rides in the alps often require some hiking (as you'll know), hence the need for a certain type of shoe

jedi

thats why we all dont ride in the same footwear i guess. choice 🙂

juan
    Free Member

Oh dear I know someone who is not going to be very happy about 5-10… (Maybe the price will make her ride spd's ;))

Ash when are you going to be down south…

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i live in scotland but use clipless. anyway, i digress. i have used flats many times, both here and in southern spain, and i can say, i've only ever used vans, and never had any stress with slippage on rocks…

druidh
    Free Member

Why does she have to use flats?

MrKmkII
    Free Member

double post oopsie

Northwind

Not really sure why you'd think Vans won't be appropriate? They'll do the job for walking in better than 5 10s and they're fine on the bike too.

(I do own both 5 10s and Vans, yes the 5 10s are stickier, no it doesn't make all that much difference, if your feet are in the right place and weighted on the pedal you don't need much stick. My 5 10s are only really better when I'm completely knackered or on the edge of my confidence/ability, where the confidence boost and slight forgiveness of errors come in handy)

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

5-10 are amazing. i always ride flats on the mtb and my 5-10 never let me down. couple them with dmr v12 and your stuck to the bike. where in scotland do you ride? its really quite big.

ash

17-20 avril

Edric64
    Free Member

Why go mountain biking in your flat .What's wrong with the great outdoors?

Diane
    Free Member

5 10's and wool socks 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘What shoes for mountain biking in flats (calling people from scotland).’ is closed to new replies.