Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • What shoes for flat pedals?
  • Rockape
    Free Member

Ok sorry if it’s been done before. I was at the back not paying attention.
    So what’s every body wearing with flats. I am looking for something waterproof or what doesn’t take ages to dry after a wet ride. Are five ten high impact 2’s any good.

sambob
    Free Member

Shimano ftw. Super durable and almost as grippy as 5:10s. Although the new Teva Links look very nice.

Chris-S
    Free Member

I’ve heard Teva Links are supposed to be very waterproof.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rockape
    Free Member

Thanks for your help. Those teva’s do look good!

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’ve been using the Teva Links for a few weeks now. They’re not waterproof as such but are treated to stop the materials from soaking up water so they resist wetting out and subsequently dry really quickly. They also stay fairly clean as the material resists staining. Grip is very good, not quite up to Five Ten Impact standards but definitely good enough and the sole stiffness is spot on.

I’d have to disagree about the Shimanos being durable. The shoes are good but the soles are a bit poor with the pins of pedals ripping the tread away making them useless on flats.

Wozza
    Free Member

I’ve got some impact 2 and they’re about as waterproof as a pair of flip flops.

But they are massively grippy, comfy as you like and I haven’t got achy feet on long rocky downhills in them. I’ll be wearing them until it gets snowy again and then it’s back to my goretex nikes.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

the soles are great on 5.10s but don’t ride through too many puddles! they do indeed soak it up but i just love the grip they give.

jedi

i used to use emerica or etnies but changed to canvas nike 6.0 melle shoes. awesome and when they get wet they dry out in a couple of hours. i bought the remaining stock of size 9’s in the nike shop galleria 🙂

Northwind

Five Tens have the most grip. Doesn’t matter, once you get to “all the grip you need”, which you can get from a cheap skate shoe. I’ve taken pins out of most of my pedals to get a sensible level of grip.

I liked the old AM40, it was good… Adjustable stiffness sole, a little bit of water protection, and dried out faster without dissolving

I’m very predictable on this but my Five Tens had cardboard insoles! Seriously, wtf? On an expensive outdoors shoe that’s insane, it’d be just about acceptable in a £15 Tesco shoe. So the insoles retained water, then fell apart after about a month of use- brilliant). Then the rest of the shoe disintegrated through the winter. They were nice enough while they lasted but the lifespan was just awful.

My AM40s are on their last legs- they’ve lasted 3 times longer than the 5 10s did and been much better. Not sure what next, fancy trying the Teva Link though.

steezysix
    Free Member

The only (slight) problem I have with my AM41 shoes is that the tread is too deep – it works much better than 5.10s if you got to push the bike, but does mean than they get chewed up a bit quicker if you’ve got long pedal pins. It does help keep your feet straight on the pedals though. Hopefully as they wear on the sole this will be less of an issue. I much prefer them to my old 5.10 Impacts when it comes to keeping water out and the fit is absolutely spot on. Plus they make me look like Tron. 🙂

Rockape
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info its all food for thought. You would have thought in this day and age that someone would realise mountain biking can be a wet sport and made some shoes to suit.

hugor
    Free Member

I bought a pair of 5.10’s after reading the almost universal approval here and everywhere else.
    I’m not a fan. I find them too grippy.
    My feet feel like they’re slightly out from my preferred position and its so hard to make small adjustments to get them where you want them cause they’re so sticky .
    I spend most of my rides adjusting my feet rather than riding.
    At least with cleats my feet are in the same place every time first go.

rewski
    Free Member

AM40’s here, don’t think you can get them anymore. I just chuck on a pair of seal skins socks in the wet. The new 5.10 range looks cool. Mavic?

pickle
    Free Member

whatever is nearest as i rummage around in the morning trying not to wake the Mrs up.

DC or Vans for me though

nigew
    Free Member

I have had four pairs of 5 10s and they last about 10 months before they give way at the sides! They are rubbish after a few times of getting wet, the insole goes all lumpy so iv’e just bought a pair of Teva Links, iv’e used them approx six times and find they aren’t quite as grippy as 5/ 10s but still very good, they do come up quite narrow but have now given a little and are very comfy.
    As already said their not waterproof but dry very quickly!

Oh and you dont look special needs in the pub after a ride 😆

colin27
    Free Member

Another vote for Teva’s here. Dead comfy, loads of grip and don’t hold too much water. Job done.

klumpy
    Free Member

Trainers.

grum
    Free Member

I have 5.10 freeriders – they started to come away at the edges pretty quickly, but have actually not got any worse since then. The grip is great, especially in the wet – but most of the time I am nearly as happy with some skate shoes from TK Maxx.

If the Teva’s don’t grip as well as 5.10s then what is the point of spending £85 on them? Do they really have a magical coating that stops them getting wet?

neninja
    Free Member

Love my AM40’s (bought a spare pair in the sales when they were discontinued that are being stored until required).

When I need something else I will get AM41’s but hopefully by then they’ll have brought back something more like the AM40 looks wise. Hopefully the AM40 insole will fit the AM41 so I can change from flexible to stiff. Much prefer the stiff insert on long XC rides as it stops my feet getting tired.

nigew
    Free Member

Grum? Are you my wife? 8) she said that too!

The Teva’s are still very grippy, much better than the Nike Mogans I tried!

ahwiles
    Free Member

Love my AM40’s … When I need something else I will get AM41’s but hopefully by then they’ll have brought back something more like the AM40 looks wise.

lot’s of people say this sort of thing, i really don’t get it.

the 40’s are white with black bits, the 41’s are black with white bits.

AM40:

AM41:

obviously, the difference is massive.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Some Merrell trail shoes that I got from Blacks for £35 18 months or so ago. Stiff enough sole for pedaling, grippy enough for having to deal with walking/pushing up sloppy trails. I give them a coat of nikwax after they’ve been through the washing machine and they work fine. Foam rubber insoles too which come out easily for cleaning.

scaredypants

god ! Those Shimanos 😯
    I thought 5.10 were ugly.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d have to disagree about the Shimanos being durable. The shoes are good but the soles are a bit poor with the pins of pedals ripping the tread away making them useless on flats.

I’ve found this too. Disappointed as otherwise very happy with them.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

mine are 18 montsh old and the sole is fine – 50-100 miles per week

grum
    Free Member

Grum? Are you my wife?

Yes.

ton

loads of cheap duffs and goretex merrells in tk max at present.

Northwind

grum – Member

If the Teva’s don’t grip as well as 5.10s then what is the point of spending £85 on them?

Because you don’t need more grip than enough?

roblane65
    Free Member

got some 5.10 free riders used them once on the bike,now only ware them to the pub as thier so nice and help keep me upright when I,ve had too mucccchhhh to drink.Also got a pair of high impact’s 2nd hand of here which I use for bike/ work I think the’re good shoes.

grum
    Free Member

Because you don’t need more grip than enough?

Aye but then why not just spend £25 in TK Maxx is my question. Do they really dry that much quicker?

Northwind

No idea… Not so much about drying fast, as staying dryer. £60 worth it for comfier drier feet? Maybe.

AlasdairMc

The cheapest leather Vans with a waffle sole have worked for me for the last three years. It’s a pity they’re white, but they’re comfy and durable.

grum
    Free Member

No idea… Not so much about drying fast, as staying dryer. £60 worth it for comfier drier feet? Maybe.

Having used SealSkinz socks, I’m not convinced there’s much point trying to keep your feet dry as water just gets in the top. I guess if you were wearing full length waterproof trousers then maybe.

bigjim

I have a pair of size 47 AM40’s going spare if anyone is interested. Used for a few months but in good nick, have replaced with AM41’s in a smaller size.

Northwind

grum – Member

Having used SealSkinz socks, I’m not convinced there’s much point trying to keep your feet dry as water just gets in the top.

Dry, vs dryer. My AM40s keep me a lot drier than my old 5 10s and it does make a massive difference, especially on long winter rides. So if the Tevas take that further, that’s a definate win for me. They don’t need to keep you perfectly dry to help but the drier, the better.

youngrob

I have 5.10 Sam Hills and I find them brilliant. They do soak up the water but there’s no way to keep dry in the Scottish winter and the 5.10s at least keep my feet warm when wet. I do sometimes find it difficult to adjust foot position but it has become easier as I’ve got used to them.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Those teva shoes look like trainers that 50-60 year old men wear “beacse they are comfy” – a bit like these sorts
    http://www.hottershoes.com/en/Mens-Shoes/Mens-GORE-TEX?currentCategoryId=10112

prezet
    Free Member

I’ve recently bought a pair of 5.10 freeriders – not sure what I think of them so far. Super grippy, no complaints there, but like someone else said it’s really hard to make small adjustments to your foot angle/position once they’re on the pedal.

Before I’ve used Nike 6.0’s, and they’re great, but have had them slipping off the pedals.

The Teva’s look nice – not sure about the colours though.

Have been thinking more and more about using a clipless platform pedal.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

had 5.10 impacts, and hated how stiff the sole was. No feel so you had to assume your foot was planted (I like to feel the pedal there). I alternate between AM40s and old waffle sole Vans.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘What shoes for flat pedals?’ is closed to new replies.