Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What shiney helmet light?
  • M1llh0use
    Free Member

Currnetly got an old ssc p7 torch but its getting progressively worse, so should I:

a) replace the batteries with some torchy 3100 mah ones
    Or
    b) replace the whole shebang?

if b is there anything better than an Exposure diablo mk4?
    I’m specifically looking for burn time of >2hrs at max power with >900 lumen.

Also can anyone recommend any mounts for lights on full face lids?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Currnetly got an old ssc p7 torch but its getting progressively worse,

This usually happens as the batteries lose charge.

Be warned, it’ll get dimmer and dimmer till it eventually goes out!

So if its pretty dim at the moment, I wouldnt risk using it at night.

Get yourself a charger and charge up your batteries.

Cheezpleez

Been running an XML torch . £11, very good . Just got a Lumenator, just over £100, very, very good. Lots of options to beat an old P7 torch. Take your pick …

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Even an XML-U3 running at 1.5 amps will only give you 624-663 lumens (and that’s theoretical max) – which is 2 hours of run time from a 3100 mah cell. So if you really mean >900 lumens for >2hrs then you will have to be running multiple torches, or a bike light powered by a battery pack.

But 900 real lumens is pretty bright. I run 2 XML-T6 torches (£10 ea)on medium – I’m guessing that gives me 2 x 200 lumens for >3 hours, supplemented by an SSC P7 (now an XML-U3) on full beam for sections when I need more light… so a boost of 500, now up to maybe 800+ lumens

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Beware of lumin measurement as its similar to the fish that got away and internet dating measurements. My usual answer is Ay up neat light and great. Not thermonuclear but plenty bright enough for me

M1llh0use
    Free Member

cheers guys (and david)

i’ve got one of neninjas inton 2000 jobbies on the bars but need to even up what i’m using on my head.

is there a drop in emitter that i can swap over for the ssc torch body? don’t mind doing a bit of soldering if it’ll save me 50-odd quid…

Northwind

have you tried the Inton on the head? I originally planned to use my MJ872 on the bars with a bright spot on the helmet but just for an experiment put it on my head and it turned out to be all the light I want. Still have a bar light but purely as a spare, it doesn’t do any real work.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

:facepalm:

No, I’d not thought of that!! 😳

Will see if I can find the lid mount and give it a bash. Cheers NW

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What shiney helmet light?’ is closed to new replies.